C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

I need advice on my 2002 C-240

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 12:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need advice on my 2002 C-240

So here is my story... I brought my 2002 Mercedes C-240 in for my yearly service back in December of last year... They ended up doing the service but when they were done they told me I am leaking transmission fluid and because of that I will need a new radiator and possible a Transmission service... He told me I would be fine for a couple of months but to bring it back to him in March and he will put a new radiator and give me a transmission service for $700 for the radiator and $250 for the transmission service... Anyways here comes march the car is still driving great so I bring it in to get the new radiator and they look at it and tell me good news you only need a new radiator and that you don't need a transmission service so that will save you $250.... I said great lets do this... So it takes about 7 hours to put in a radiator so it wasn't done until the next day... When I go and pick it up the guy says we got bad news your car is now stuck in 3rd gear and wont go in reverse... They said let us hold onto it for a day or 2 and see if we can fix it.... He told me that sometimes when you put in a new part the motor goes in safe mode and needs to be reprogrammed... So anyways I wait 2 days and now they say I need a new transmission!!!!!!!

How could I bring my car that was driving fine to get a new radiator and when I pick it up now it doesn't even drive? Do they really expect for me to pay for the radiator that they put in that ruined my transmission?

So anyways they say they can put in a used transmission with 99,000 miles on it plus the radiator at a cost of $2,482... Or they can put a used transmission with 26,000 miles on it plus the radiator for 2,910.40

Is it even safe to put a USED transmission in my car? Will I have to worry about my car messing up again in a couple of months?

I thought about fixing it then selling it then buying another low-maintance car... I kelly Blue Booked my car and they say I can sell it privately for around $6,500...

I really don't know to much about cars and was just wondering if you guys were in my shoes right now what would you guys do?

I just want some opinions

Also they said they can take the new radiator out and put my old one back in and I wont have to pay for anything but my car wont work because somehow they messed something up

I just don't know what to do so any advice would be greatly appreciated
Old 03-09-2011, 02:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2013 ML350
Wow! Sorry to hear this. I would talk with the service manager and explain that your car's transmission operated correctly when you left it with them and you expect them to return it to you in the same condition. If you get nowhere, I would escalate it to MB USA. That's BS. They need to eat it, as they obviously messed something up.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Aston Martin V8 Vantage
if it was a dealership, MBusa all the way. if it was an indy, unleash your fury on them then sell the car.
Old 03-09-2011, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
The Valeo radiator problem is common. The rest is not. They must return the car to you in good order. Did anyone sample the transmission oil to look for glycol? Presume that is the reason for the radiator change - leaking cooler.

Tell them to drop the transmission pan & check the filter & electrohydraulic unit (valve body) for any sign of bockage by clutch material debris. Suggest you be there to witness. Follow this by transmission flush & new filter.

Escalate to MBUSA - sounds as if they don't know what they are doing. What is the Star telling them?

I'll bet they have dislodged some crap & it's stuck in an oilway.

If the transmission operated normally prior to this the glycol contamination must have been low.

The transmission should be serviced every 39K miles.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 03-09-2011 at 07:33 AM.