C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Noob Needs Help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320 W203
Noob Needs Help

A big G'day from Australia, I'm new to the forum so first off I want to say sorry if this issue has been posted multiple times but I've tried looking through the forum and haven't found the exact solution that answers my issue

Just bought at 2002 w203 C320 (Auto)

First off I had an ESP issue, it would randomly come up with the error on the screen telling me to visit workshop. I've had a look through the owners manual and tried the resetting the steering wheel but still after about a good 30 to 40 mins of driving it comes up again.

At times after driving for 30 min to 40 min and turning the car off and starting up the car again it shudders from just putting it into drive gear and letting it roll, the front brakes automatically makes a grinding noise (sounds similar to when the abs going nuts when they are applied in an emergency situation for a short second.

Now here is the big issue, it started getting worse and was told it could be the plug and to disconnect it and clean it out and reconnect it.

The plug is connected to the ESP module and abs it's farily large and located behind the head light (Aus model is on the left [Left hand side when sitting in the car]

Unplugged it and cleaned it out with electrical cleaner, plugged it back in and now i have 4 fault instead or 1 BAS,ABS,ESP and Brake lines. Now the car was only started up and I couldn't get it into gear.

Unplugged it again and waited 5 mins and re-plugged it, two errors came up ESP and BAS.

Sadly I don't have a OBD or a code scanner
I've check all the fuse
Car doesn't go into "limp mode" (Well not so far any way)
I will take it to a Merc stealer soon but atm kinda tight for cash.

So if anyone can shed any light it would be greatly appreciated.

Honestly I don't want this Benz to be pain in the *** where I'll need to get rid of it as I previously had owned on but the crazy Melbourne flood waters got to it before I could save it.

Again many thanks to anyone who's able to help me out.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:01 AM

C320 W203
Actually I think the issue might be gone but I'm 95% sure the ESP will pop up again I guess it's hard to tell when I can't throw up any codes, Sorry about the tread I was in a state of panic I thought I killed the car haha.

But if anyone could throw their ideas as to what I should be looking at for the ESP issue that would be awesome. I would hate to find myself with the ESP throwing me into limp mode which I've read isn't a fun at all.
Old 04-21-2011, 08:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 C280 4matic Avantgarde
do you have aftermarket HID kit installed? how old is your battery?
Old 04-21-2011, 08:42 AM

C320 W203
No HID's as yet but I do plan on putting them in soon what issues could this created? I'm guessing they drain too much electricity?

The battery not sure how old it is but did check it the other day it was fairly dry topped it up with water to the right levels. However I do have a new battery slightly bigger than the ones Mercedes OEM ones would be okay to put that in.
Old 04-21-2011, 09:00 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 Civic Si. FWD for the Win!
I hate to sound like your mother, but a scanner is more important than HIDs.

Actually, before you sink any mod money into your car, I'd make sure that the ESP warning doesn't come up again. I do agree with you that it probably will. And if it does, take it to an independent MB mechanic to get a proper diagnosis. Then you can determine if it's worth going down this road with your car. As a 2002 owner, you would probably have to get used to minor problems; it wasn't until a couple of years later that MB solved most of the gremlins with this generation.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 C280 4matic Avantgarde
losts of people mount ballast to close to abs module and high voltage from ballast causes those mulfunctions, so be carefull
Old 04-21-2011, 11:15 AM

C240
Try checking your battery voltage first, when on and off..