C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Sooo...I just finished the trans flush diy...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 08:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 c230, '09 c300, '03 Durango
Sooo...I just finished the trans flush diy...

First off, I'd like to thank everbody who contributed to the diy's and extra info contained within those threads as that is the info was very helpful!

I'd especially like to thank Glyn and C230 Sport Coup for there help!

Now, everything went really smooth. I did my research here, asked some questions and tried to set myself up for success as much as possible. My belief is that 90% of work is planning!

It took a total of about 1-1/2 hours to complete the job and an extra 1/2 hour to clean up my mess and then drive around the car some so I could top the fluid level off. If you follow the diy's everything is pretty straight foward.

As I stated in a prior thread, before I changed out the fluid, I checked the level with my dipstick/tool thingy and the fluid that came out on the stick was clear. This obviously concerned me. The good thing was that it did not seem to dirty so I know it was serviced, but the bad thing is that I have read that our trans fluid is supposed to be pink/red so I figured that when my trans was serviced they put the wrong fluid in.

Now again, everything went smooth. I was able to do everything by myself although the hose I bought did not fit the end of the trans line hose!

But here is were it gets interesting for me...

When I drained and dropped the pan, the fluid was a dirty/clearish color. In the pan it looked pretty dark, but again, it was pretty clean considereing and it wasn't burnt. I then measured the amount of fluid that I drained and refilled that same amount.

Now when I disconnected the trans line that connected to the upper part of the radiator and used that same line to flush the fluid, only about 2 liters came out that dirty clear color. Then the rest of the fluid started coming out red already!

Even though it was coming out red, I still continued and did a total of 13 liters. And once again, during the flush I only got about 2 liters that came out dirty clear, the rest came out red.

Do you guys think that the fluid I was flushing out was actually the new fluid that I just put in instead of fluid from the T/C?. I am really woried that I just flushed out about $100 worh of brand new fluid and the old fluid is still in the T/C...

What do you guys think?

Last edited by leeer73; 04-24-2011 at 08:09 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
GMC - Miata - Trek - P-Car
No worries.

I’d surmise normally-occurring drainback contributed to the minimal amount of old fluid discharge observed before pumping fresh fluid.
The ‘out’ portion of the transmission’s cooling circuit (toward the radiator’s upper integral junction) flows directly from the torque converter,
since that’s where the majority of the ATF’s heat is generated.

You did good.
Old 04-25-2011, 04:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 c230, '09 c300, '03 Durango
Hey, thanks for the info, and the vote of confidence!
Old 04-25-2011, 10:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Absolutely - Well done. Don't be too concerned about fluid colour. Firstly the red dye does not stay all that red for long & the fluid looks brownish clear & bright. Secondly the fluid is only red in the USA. In other parts of the world it is a greenish straw colour.

I don't know how your car got to Hawaii - It might have been filled with ROW fluid.