C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

3rd Party Extended Warranties

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2003, 07:52 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C320 Sport
3rd Party Extended Warranties

Hey, does anyone have any experience with third party extended warranties, that is, ones that are not directly from MB? I have had my vehicle for 8 weeks and it's already been back to the dealer 4 times for repairs (yes, I bought it used, best way to buy a $45K car without paying $45K!), so I'm getting nervous about long term reliability.

I have had 1SourceAutoWarranty.com recommended to me as a reputable company; it is also one of the few internet warranty sites that will sell a warranty in California. Their prices are much better than anything I'm getting from the dealers, but I'm wondering if anyone's had any experience with them? Also, has anyone bought an extended warranty from a 3rd party besides 1Source?

I probably should be posting this in another forum since anyone lurking about here is still under factory warranty, but you guys are getting used to my annoying questions.
Old 05-22-2003, 12:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
I don't know a lot about extended warranties, but here are a few of the things to look for:

1) Do they pay to use only brand new MB parts, or will they only pay for refurbished or aftermarket parts?

2) Do they pay the dealership directly or do you have to pay the bill and then get reimbursed?

3) Will you have to wait for one of their people to look at your car before the repairs can be done? Sometimes this can significantly extend the length of time your car is at the dealership.

I think that's all I have for now. Hope that helps.
Old 05-22-2003, 02:16 AM

2002 C230K
avoid DFS at all costs. my parents got them for an extended warranty because at that time, the extended warranties werent thru mb. only had problems with them.
Old 05-22-2003, 10:49 AM
Almost a Member!

C320 Sport
matt230k: Thanks for the tips. I've read their contract several times and it seems to be a far better warranty than others I've seen (including some of the ones sold at the dealerships), but I do want to verify a few points like the ones you've mentioned. I'm pretty sure you can take it to any ASE certified facility including dealerships and the warranty pays the bill over the phone by credit card. The exception may be if you make a claim that they think is "pre-existing", I have then heard that warranty co's will send out their own inspector and that's when you get in long delays and possible denials.

dswildfire: Thanks for the tip. I'll avoid DFS. I think one of the dealers I've checked at actually sells that warranty.

A note for anyone else on extended warranties: if you didn't buy an MB warranty from the dealer when the car was new, I'm told you should never make a claim within the first 60 days of the warranty. That automatically red-flags you as possibly claiming pre-existing conditions. (Just like health insurance.)

Btw, 1Source also does business with dealers under the name First Assured, so if anyone has had them for another car, let me know. (There are a few Nissan and Mazda dealers who use them around here.)
Old 06-24-2005, 10:06 AM

Hi.Contact Louis at:888-858-8448 ext.1022 and tell him that Christopher Pychynski send you there.On 2001 C320 with 27K you can get extendet warranty for additional 6 yr. and 100 000 K milles, 0 deductable for $2600.
20% down and follow by 10 mo. payment. It is Mercury Ins. warranty, and you can go to any MB dealer or any repair shop.
Best regards,
Christopher Pychynski
Old 06-24-2005, 11:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 C350 4MATIC
Extended Warranty Companies

Manufacturers provide warranties because customers will think twice about buying a car if it doesn't have one. To them, it is a necessary evil. They will fix it in part, because a pissed off customer will tell other people who are prospective customers and they won't walk in the showroom.

Extended Warranty companies sell warranties to make money. They can give a rat about if you go buy a particular brand again. Their goal is to maximize profit by keeping the number and cost of claims low. Hence they are going to be more willing to stall you, state that things are preexisting or normal wear and tear.
Old 06-24-2005, 11:56 PM

C43AMG 1999
Originally Posted by pychynski
Hi.Contact Louis at:888-858-8448 ext.1022 and tell him that Christopher Pychynski send you there.On 2001 C320 with 27K you can get extendet warranty for additional 6 yr. and 100 000 K milles, 0 deductable for $2600.
20% down and follow by 10 mo. payment. It is Mercury Ins. warranty, and you can go to any MB dealer or any repair shop.
Best regards,
Christopher Pychynski
man!!! Louis? for real????? Tamez????
damn these guys are good.
or you guys i don't know who to trust now.
i was just reading some other thread (actually two, crossposted) someone said how great this company is, etc.
so i told him my story about warranty gold (story of many actually)
warranty gold was ran by the same CEO in case you didn't know.
so now that it has lost it's license i guess it's time for the guys to move on to repeat the rape.
that other guy wasn't talking to Louis.
so i, just as a joke, mentioned to him a few details (do a search if you care) how good my salesman Louie Tamez was.
Now i'm reading your message and i don't know what to think . . .
are you another unsuspecting "to be raped" victim like i used to be when i bought my policy from warranty gold?
is it really Louie Tamez you were talking to?

i suggest everybody to be really, really careful with these guys.
do some research on warranty gold. these guys are really, really good.
don't get raped. don't think they are safe with insurance and reinsurance.
warranty gold customers like myself all made those assumptions too.
learn from my mistakes.
Old 06-25-2005, 11:09 AM

You are talking about different guy NO TAMEZ
Christopher
Old 06-25-2005, 01:55 PM

C43AMG 1999
Originally Posted by pychynski
You are talking about different guy NO TAMEZ
Christopher
CEO is Kurt Nelson?
former warranty gold president?
i think that speaks for itself even if the sales guy is different
don't get screwed, these guys are good.
just read up on warranty gold and you'll see exactly what i mean. they were the best. in business for a long time, recommended by everyone, good with the BBB, insured, reinsured, etc. then BANG! no money! gone! and you are screwed out of your 3K+.