C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

A few question on what i should do after my service a today and the dealer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 11:28 AM

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
W203 C230, W210 E350, W166 ML63
Exclamation A few question on what i should do after my service a today and the dealer

(Just noticed the title doesn't make sense supposed to say "A few question on what i should do after my service a today and the dealer" didnt want to make another thread)

I was the one that couldn't get my oil filler cap off so I had my Service A done today and used a $100 coupon on it. Came out to $67. They also replaced my cam sensor solenoids under a recall that I never received a letter or email on.

Anyways, the service advisor told me I needed my control arm bushing replaced. He quoted me $380 and I first thought that was going to be the cost for both sides, I was wrong it was just for the left side. I don't notice any problem steering or going over bumps (which michigan roads have a lot of). Only thing I noticed is that my car kind of vibrates at 70mph+ on the highway. Could this be because of the bushing or could my tires have flat spots or rims be bent (which I inspected and they seem fine)?

Also have a question for anyone else that takes their car to the dealer regularly....Does it seem that they go buy the manual on things or do they actually check what needs to be done..by this I mean, I changed my air filter last summer before I stored my car and I also had my coolant changed. I had a service B done last summer after I did those 2 tasks and they told me that I needed my air filter and my coolant changed.....Today they told me the same thing and I told the guy No. I changed the air filter myself and had my coolant changed by somebody I know. He kind of got quiet and then when I checked my service release paper he had them checked off green. So I'm kind of skeptical whether or not they even check things since I always take my car to them and they think they know everything thats been done to it.
Old 05-19-2011, 12:49 PM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
'14 ML350, '13 C220 CDI, '07 C280, '98 ML320
Pete, glad to hear that you were able to take advantage of that $100 off service coupon and got the recall work done.

As a standard practice, when you take the car for any reason, dealer personnel will take every opportunity to make as much money as possible. Some times, they will find problems even when there are none. :-)

About the suspension bushings. Research on-line, buy parts on-line and have an independent mechanic install them for you. You will save a lot of money.

About the vibration at 70 MPH, start with simple solutions first, have all 4 wheels balanced. Then, see if the problem persists.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 c230 kompressor
+1 on tire balancing. That should be the most reasonable solution.
Old 05-19-2011, 03:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 58 Likes on 24 Posts
2007 C230SS; 2014 ML350 BT
Changed the title for you

If you have your service done at any Mercedes dealer, then the database will be up to date, and they will know what has and has not been done on your car. Since you did the filter yourself and the coolant at another shop, the dealer "assumes" those services have not been done. They don't go by looks for the air filter or coolant, just the recommended intervals. It is almost impossible to look at coolant and air filters and know how long they have been in service. Seems logical that they tell you those services need to be done.

As far as the control arm bushings, they are a common failure on these cars, and so it wouldn't surprise me they needed to be replaced.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:11 AM

Received 36 Likes on 35 Posts
W203 C230, W210 E350, W166 ML63
Thanks guys. Ill check it out.