C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Some facts about the Coupe Bose Subwoofer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2002, 09:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 VW GTI
Right now I'm thinking of going with a Fosgate Punch 250.2 and a 8" Kicker box.

I was considering the Infinity Basslink.

All I'm looking for is some additional "punch". Especially with the roof back and windows down.

The only time I can (faintly) hear/feel the bose sub is when the car is perfectly still. As soon as we start rolling it might as well not even exist back there.

Thanks for the helpful info. I'm definitly not an audio expert so any info helps.
Old 02-14-2002, 10:11 AM
Almost a Member!

C230/ B. Silver/Leather
Subwoofer

RE: goodkat

Please attach pictures of your completed install. I have the regular system and am unhappy with the sound reproduction. It will be interesting to see where you put the replacement equipment without losing limited trunk space.
Old 02-14-2002, 11:37 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230 coupe
To add some additional info to mdp c230k's comments. The Bose systems are equalized over the entire audio spectrum. This is to compensate for the specific characteristics of the acoustic environment in the car's interior. Each Bose system, including the EQ curve it employs, is tailored to the car in which it will be used. If the car model for which the sound system was designed has options available which significantly alter the acustics of the interior (such as cloth vs. leather) the EQ curve is adjusted accordingly.

As for the bass frequency range, the Bose systems utilize dynamic equalization. Dynamic equalization applies different amounts of compensation for different volume control settings. This is done to offset a natural dificiency of the human ear. At lower volume levels the human ear is less sensitive to bass frequencies than mid and high frequencies. The amount of difference in this sensitivity becomes greater as the vloume level decreases. The dynamic equalization applies the appropriate amount of bass boost to compensate for this sensitivity difference in order to provide bass which is perceived to be properly balanced to the mids and high at all volume levels. This is done automatically as the volume control is turned up or down.

In order for this dynamic equalization to work effectively, all of the system components are integrated to work as one. Changing the woofer / enclosure combo and the amplifier will alter the electro-mechanical parameters with which the dynamic equalizer was originally designed to work. How the new parts will work with the remaining original parts is impossible to predict. All you can do is hook it up and try it.
Old 02-14-2002, 11:38 AM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230 coupe
To add some additional info to mdp c230k's comments. The Bose systems are equalized over the entire audio spectrum. This is to compensate for the specific characteristics of the acoustic environment in the car's interior. Each Bose system, including the EQ curve it employs, is tailored to the car in which it will be used. If the car model for which the sound system was designed has options available which significantly alter the acustics of the interior (such as cloth vs. leather) the EQ curve is adjusted accordingly.

As for the bass frequency range, the Bose systems utilize dynamic equalization. Dynamic equalization applies different amounts of compensation for different volume control settings. This is done to offset a natural dificiency of the human ear. At lower volume levels the human ear is less sensitive to bass frequencies than mid and high frequencies. The amount of difference in this sensitivity becomes greater as the vloume level decreases. The dynamic equalization applies the appropriate amount of bass boost to compensate for this sensitivity difference in order to provide bass which is perceived to be properly balanced to the mids and high at all volume levels. This is done automatically as the volume control is turned up or down.

In order for this dynamic equalization to work effectively all of the system components are integrated to work as one. Changing the woofer / enclosure combo and the amplifier will alter the electro-mechanical parameters with which the dynamic equalizer was originally designed to work. How the new parts will work with the remaining original parts is impossible to predict. All you can do is hook it up and try it.
Old 02-14-2002, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
Originally posted by Mike E
Mike, it all sounds awfully good. The problem is, MOST folks having Bose in their C Class complain about its sound quality.
Bose's Dynamic equalization, IMO, sucks. I can't even hear bass at low volume, have to crank it up. This leads me to believe that they didn't really taylor the audio system to the car, contrary to their claims. Or - did a very, very poor job.

In order for this dynamic equalization to work effectively all of the system components are integrated to work as one. Changing the woofer / enclosure combo and the amplifier will alter the electro-mechanical parameters with which the dynamic equalizer was originally designed to work. How the new parts will work with the remaining original parts is impossible to predict. All you can do is hook it up and try it.
That's the point - there wouldn't be any need to alter it if it worked Ok...
Old 02-14-2002, 02:13 PM

2000 BMW Z3 2.3 Roadster (hardtop current ly attached)
Vadim speaks much truth... he very wise man (in my best "Tonto" voice)
Old 02-14-2002, 02:56 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 C230 coupe
Whether or not the balance of bass output relative to the rest of the audible spectrum matches your personal taste is not what I was addressing in my previous post. I was simply outlining some of the aspects of how the system operates and the related implication pertaining to modifying the system. As far as maintaining a consistent level of percieved bass relative to the mids and highs at all volume levels, the system does do that well. If you find the amount of bass insufficient to meet your personal tastes then you will simply find it to be equally insufficient at all volume levels.

All of that aside, I would point out that many people do find the sound of the Bose sytem very enjoyable. But then some people like chocolate and others like vanilla. As for me, the Bose system provides all the performance I would ever want from a car stereo system and I think it is a very good value as a $610 option. But then I'm a vanilla kind of guy.
Old 02-14-2002, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
I'm no expert and don't consider myself an audiophile, I judge audio system performance on it's abilty to acurately reproduce music as compared to live performances. I don't care much about quantity as I do quality. My opinion is that the bose is great in all respects but, that's as long as the car is parked. Start moving or open a window and only bass I hear/feel comes from the door speaker puffing on my leg. The upper ranges and imaging remain ok but the kick drum, floor tom, and bassist might as well be absent...
Old 02-14-2002, 03:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLB 250 4matic
i'm not a <i>car</i> audiophile... so i'm ok w/ the bose system. but that doesn't mean i wouldn't have appreciated a different upgrade. my theory is that as long as i don't sit in a car w/ a better system, i won't know what i'm missing

when i got the car, my understanding was that an audio upgrade would be moderately difficult - don't take it to bestbuy type of upgrade - so i just forked over the money for whatever upgrade was offered.
Old 02-25-2002, 09:39 PM

Buick Park Avenue Ultra
SEDAN sound?

I've been reading all of these comments about the BOSE system in the Coupe, but what about in the Sedan?

Is it the same setup? Is the subwoofer in the same place? Is it the same amount of speakers? Are all the speakers in different places? Is it the same amp? The same wattage?

How does the BOSE sound in the Sedan compared to the Coupe?

Thanks in advance!

Tim
Old 02-25-2002, 10:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Location: Sitting behind thing freakin desk of mine. Dreaming I was playing my Taylors, and driving my Benz. Long Live The VRAA!!!!!!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C230 Sports Coupe
So if i put a powered sub in the trunk do i take the audio-in from the sub and use that signal to feed the sub and make the bose sub not functional. Sorry, I dont know much about cars. Then power it from battery right?