C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Oil Change - Service A Interval Reset?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-13-2002, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230
Question Oil Change - Service A Interval Reset?

I have about 1K miles on my C230K and I'm planning on changing the break-in oil. Will the Service A (miles to go) indicator know that I have changed the oil and automatically rest to 10K?

If yes, Is this because the oil level sensor has noticed the change? Or is the Service indicator only reset by connecting the car to an MB service computer, like on BMW's.

I ask because I plan on changing my oil now and at every 5K, but would still like MB to do the 10K changes and Services. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-13-2002, 07:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
The FSS is reset manually. You can actually do it without the dealer. Read your manual to find out how.

After the oil change however, the FSS may readjust itself and lengthen the mileage required till the next FSS interval.
Old 02-14-2002, 12:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 C-Coupe
Does anyone have details, that a chemist would understand, on the oil MB uses?

My Father in law is a University Chemistry Professor and does not believe MB's estimation on changing oil.

He explains how car oils are subjected to heat conditions and have to burn at a certain rate. Regardless of what the new oils say he does not beleive they can last 10,000 miles.

He also says all cars should have the oil changed after the first 1000 miles due to engine particals. it apparently is not as if the new oils can get rid of them.

I consider the MB service as part of the allure of buying it.

I also want to keep this car for a long time. I have read previous posts on this but would appreciate the hard facts so I can pass them on.

Nathan
Old 02-14-2002, 01:16 PM
benzomonterey

Change the oil at 20,000 miles? Heresy you say? Certainly just a few years back it indeed would have been heresy to propose such extended oil change intervals. Starting in the 1998 model year and in keeping with the global need for conservation of nonrenewable resources, Daimler-Benz developed a system to calculate when the oil needed to be changed, and added a warning system on the instrument cluster to remind the driver.
This is an interesting development, not just because of those sensors and unique programming, but also because the oil-change intervals the system gives you are from--get this--10,000 to 20,000 miles. Gasp. Even the Mercedes models without FSS carry a recommended change range of 10K regardless of operating conditions. On top of that, this is with ordinary oil, not a synthetic like Mobil 1.

Why do the boys from Stuttgart believe you should subject your $35,600 to $81,100 conveyance to what we veteran technicians would call suicidal oil change intervals? Lots of reasons. To begin with, that crazy-sounding 20K-mile deal is only in cases where the FSS sees nothing but open-road cruising at light throttle and moderate temperatures. There are also the evolutionary improvements in oils and filters that benefit all automobiles, as does a precisely controlled air/fuel mixture that won't wash lube off the cylinder walls or contaminate the crankcase with raw gas.
For its own products, M-B cites sophisticated engine design carried out using the best available materials. This includes such things as cast-in silicon-aluminum cylinder sleeves with a low-friction surface that allows piston ring spring tension to be reduced by 50%. Combined with other friction-reducing measures, overall internal parasitic losses are down an impressive 45%, and that means less stress on the oil.
Another factor is the super-accurate Robert Bosch Motronic ME 2.0 electronic engine management system, which allows these engines to meet National Low Emissions Vehicle (NLEV) standards. This leaves little chance for an overly rich mix to ever occur, or its attendant gasoline dilution of the critical lubricant. Of course, it doesn't hurt that the oil capacity of current M-B models ranges from eight to a truly-abundant 13 quarts.
As a service advisor at an M-B dealership tells MS, "We've been tracking it, and the average Flexible Service System readout has been around 14,000 miles. That means the number of trips the customer has to make for oil change service is roughly cut in half."
Old 09-20-2004, 12:05 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford Pinto
I owned a 99 Silverado 5.3 litre ls1 based motor that I did only 20k oil changes.

no problems, and it still runs today to the guy who bought it with ~150k miles on it.

I put that truck through hell too. 3 Transmissions, and 3 rearend gear changes not counting the small stuff.

Eric