C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

need help to reprogram stupid key

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 04:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200 Kompressor A150
need help to reprogram stupid key

Ok, my key stopped unlocking and locking the other day, also happened to be the day after I advertised it on Ebay.
Anyway, i've changed the batteries and it wont work.
I've dug out the spare keys, they dont work.

i've read this forum, and I can say this: The windows were tinted 5 years ago. The radio reception is the same as normal. the summer time crap feature stopped working about 2 years ago from both keys.

What I want to do is reprogram the keys to the car, actually, what i want to do is fix the problem!

what I dont want to do is go to my workshop, i'm starting to hate going there.. Actually, I already hate going there, I'm starting to think I'd be better off getting the cat to service my car, he'd be cheaper, and without the attitude, And its not like the car comes back with any less wrong with it each time it goes there.

Can anybody shed some light here while i re read this forum??

Thanks

Phil
Old 06-26-2011, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Coupe
The only people who can reprogram your keys are the dealerships unfortunately.

You'll have to take your proof of ownership of the car (which should also list the car VIN) to any authorized MB dealership. It costs about $200-250 per key here in Canada.
Old 06-26-2011, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 54 Likes on 42 Posts
i drive them all, fast and hard
thats interesting cuz when i recently had my key problem someone here from texas emailed me stating that he can convert the old keys to new ones but didnt really specifiy if it was actually gonna fix the issue i was having.... but i cant source who that was, erased the emails
Old 06-26-2011, 05:42 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 c230k
So when you say "they don't work", can you put the key in the ignition and start the car? Or is it just the lock and unlock feature that doesn't work? Sounds Kinda Fishy?
Old 06-26-2011, 07:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by vdubpower
thats interesting cuz when i recently had my key problem someone here from texas emailed me stating that he can convert the old keys to new ones but didnt really specifiy if it was actually gonna fix the issue i was having.... but i cant source who that was, erased the emails
Converting the old key to the new key basically involves taking the innards (microchip, transmitter, etc) of your current key and putting them in the casing of the new key. If your current key doesnt work now, it wont work in a new casing either.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by bigspender101
So when you say "they don't work", can you put the key in the ignition and start the car? Or is it just the lock and unlock feature that doesn't work? Sounds Kinda Fishy?
Thats a good point. Are you able to manually open the car and use the key to start the engine?
Old 06-26-2011, 10:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
Originally Posted by jcnash

You'll have to take your proof of ownership of the car (which should also list the car VIN) to any authorized MB dealership. It costs about $200-250 per key here in Canada.
Once a key has been programmed, it cannot be "re-programmed" by anyone, anywhere.

Converting the old key to the new key basically involves taking the innards (microchip, transmitter, etc) of your current key and putting them in the casing of the new key. If your current key doesnt work now, it wont work in a new casing either.
There is a way to take a microchip from an old key and solder them onto a new key but it's very tricky and requires someone very skilled at soldering IC's. It's not as easy as just ransferring the guts of an old key to a new key.

Trending Topics

Old 06-26-2011, 10:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by e1000
Once a key has been programmed, it cannot be "re-programmed" by anyone, anywhere.

I could be wrong...maybe the dealership meant that it costs $200-$250 for them to get a new key in and program it to my car.

There is a way to take a microchip from an old key and solder them onto a new key but it's very tricky and requires someone very skilled at soldering IC's. It's not as easy as just ransferring the guts of an old key to a new key.
A friend has done the transfer from an older style key to the newer style for her SLK. We did it together and no soldering was involved. Simply removed the entire component piece from the inside of the old key and transferred it to the new key. Not sure if it can be done on the W203's though.
Old 06-26-2011, 10:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
A friend has done the transfer from an older style key to the newer style for her SLK. We did it together and no soldering was involved. Simply removed the entire component piece from the inside of the old key and transferred it to the new key. Not sure if it can be done on the W203's though.
The boards are different so there is no way you could do that.

Last edited by samaritrey; 06-26-2011 at 10:47 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 11:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I guess its not possible on the W203 keys then.

It definitely was on the later year SLK that my friend drives...
Old 06-26-2011, 11:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
a quarter mile at a time
may be possible from the original chrome key to the even newer style keys with the individual buttons on them but definitely not the pre 2007 key to chrome key.
Old 06-27-2011, 12:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

for the OP , why did you post yoru key on ebay

as for me, im happy i didnt send my key to whoever that was saying they could convert my key....cant remember the email he had but it was a vietnamese name from texas...oh well
Old 06-27-2011, 04:28 AM

C200 Kompressor A150
for the OP , why did you post yoru key on ebay

as for me, im happy i didnt send my key to whoever that was saying they could convert my key....cant remember the email he had but it was a vietnamese name from texas...oh well
Car is advertised, not the key http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Mercedes-...item4cf80c0561

Originally Posted by e1000
Thanks for that, its a shame it cant be done though, but I can see the legalities if it were possible..

Thats a good point. Are you able to manually open the car and use the key to start the engine?
Yes, I've been driving it around for about a week like this, I assumed it was just the batteries in the remote and couldnt be bothered trying the spare key.

Originally Posted by bigspender101
Read this acouple of times, unsure where your trying to go with this, but I'll take it to mean something fishy with the car????????????????????????????

thanks for that, and its the road I'll go down. Ive spoken to the workshop today, the first question he asked was how recently the windows were tinted!
He doubts both my keys have gone at the same time and wants to diagnose the car.... cant do it on a Saturday because its too involved for a half day..

sounds expensive!
Old 06-27-2011, 09:16 AM

c240
Originally Posted by MelbMerc
Ok, my key stopped unlocking and locking the other day,
Phil
Are you able to use the button inside the car to lock and unlock? If that does not work either then you may have an issue with the lock actuator inside the front driver door.
Old 06-27-2011, 03:53 PM

C200 Kompressor A150
Originally Posted by KalC240
Are you able to use the button inside the car to lock and unlock? If that does not work either then you may have an issue with the lock actuator inside the front driver door.
Yeah the lock inside works, then I lock the door with the key itself, not the keypad.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:16 PM

Nowhere ...Fast
i am thinking its got something to do with the signal transponder, for the lack of a proper term...and the reason they ask when were the windows tinted is due to possibility of water from tintinting getting into/onto, you pick, these transponders...one thing i am not sure if there is a center one vs one per door...
Old 07-02-2011, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

got in touch with the ebay key swapper

he says that even if the key is broke now, after he swaps, it will also fix the issue, so i gues in his service he is fixing the issue too

here is his benzworld link

http://www.benzworld.org/forums/sale...e-key-fob.html