C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Taillamp message

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-05-2011, 08:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Kompressor & B5 S4
Taillamp message

Hi guys,

I have searched a little bit and I have a "Taillamp left Back-up lamp on" message that comes on when I turn on the lights. I have looked at all the bulbs in the back taillights and they all appear to be ok.

What else should I try before bringing it in to the dealer?
Old 07-05-2011, 09:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Coupe
Our cars have this really cool feature where when one bulb (in the rear lamp assemblies) burn out, back up lamps take over, to make sure you are safe and dont get rear-ended.

What the message is saying is that the original tail lamp has burnt out and the backup lamp is now functioning as a replacement.

No need to take it to the dealer. Just get the main tail lamp replaced and youll be good.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
2019 C300 Wagon; '75 Triumph TR6; previous: 2004 C230 6spd sold after 17 years of driving
it is quite funny to read through the forums and seems that the topics that come up are same ones I have been experiencing at the same time, eg Cam solenoid and harness leaking a year ago, battery issues last November, Alternator issues earlier this year, tie rod recently. The dealers and manufacturers always complain that the forums are a b*t**fest but I think there is truth to the issues as the same ones pop up around the same time for us all

I got a message that my right rear license plate light was out, and when I checked it was burning brightly, now I am stuck with this message malfunction despite it working fine
Old 07-05-2011, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2002 Mercedes Benz C230 Coupe
Originally Posted by Boom vang
it is quite funny to read through the forums and seems that the topics that come up are same ones I have been experiencing at the same time, eg Cam solenoid and harness leaking a year ago, battery issues last November, Alternator issues earlier this year, tie rod recently. The dealers and manufacturers always complain that the forums are a b*t**fest but I think there is truth to the issues as the same ones pop up around the same time for us all

I got a message that my right rear license plate light was out, and when I checked it was burning brightly, now I am stuck with this message malfunction despite it working fine
Probably because the bulb is on its way out, thereby reducing the total current draw (unless of course you replaced the bulbs with LED's or something).

Replacing for a new one or even removing/reinstalling the same bulb might fix it.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:21 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'02 C230 Coupe (Me) '03 SLK320 6MT (Wife)
Check THIS thread out, they cover pretty much the same issue. I believe if you read through it, you will find some similarities to what you are seeing. I can't remember if they mention exactly the same message. What you've got is a bulb that is either out, or is perfectly fine, but has a different amount of resistance present than the car expects.

Mine is doing the same error currently, and I haven't gotten around to fixing it yet. The cars are very, very weird about what they expect from the bulbs -- a little corrosion in a bulb socket, a bulb not made to spec, hell even humidity has caused an error in ours before. The message is there sometimes, probably not some times. I've always found the "backup light on" odd, especially when I can see it isn't on.

One thing I have found is that replacing one bulb is usually not the way to go. Sometimes you get it right, but often you still have the error. I just replace all of them, and clean the contacts with a pencil eraser. I refer to it as the "annual bulb sacrifice."

I will also say that I got frustrated with this issue recently on my car and just purchased both bulb carriers and all the bulbs. Got the parts sitting in the garage, just haven't tried them yet. About $45.00 for each side -- next week I will let you know if that solves all my errors (It gives me three bulb errors now, and everything works). I am hoping to get at least a couple of years of relief before it starts wanting annual bulbs again (maybe the bigger sacrifice will appease the bulb gods for more than a year?)
Old 07-06-2011, 01:02 AM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
My car never has bulb issues till I visit one friends house. every freaking time i go there a bulb goes out. It has happened like 5 or 6 times. I now make him meet me somewhere. lol So my friend must be satin in the bulb world or something.

For the record he does not live on a bad road or dirt road or anything. It is a nice normal paved road with no bumps or anything.
Old 07-06-2011, 02:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 199 Likes on 190 Posts
2003 C230K Coupe Orion Blue
I have the same problem with one of my factory HIDs. Sometimes the bulb takes 2 attempts to ignite. Sometimes it fails. But even if the bulb ignites properly (I have physically verified it), sometimes it still tells me the bulb is out. Quite annoying.

Trying to decide what to do about this. Any ideas? I've swapped 3 different HID bulbs and all 3 have the same problem. this headlight didn't give me any problems for over 7 years, then one day this started.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
Originally Posted by slammer111
I have the same problem with one of my factory HIDs. Sometimes the bulb takes 2 attempts to ignite. Sometimes it fails. But even if the bulb ignites properly (I have physically verified it), sometimes it still tells me the bulb is out. Quite annoying.

Trying to decide what to do about this. Any ideas? I've swapped 3 different HID bulbs and all 3 have the same problem. this headlight didn't give me any problems for over 7 years, then one day this started.
I would say to switch the ballasts and see if the problem moves and go from there. I had an issue with one of my ignitors killing bulbs and it took me 3 sets of bulbs to figure out that is was not bad bulbs or ballasts