C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

cardan, squeaking noise rear (Not suspension) when accelerating

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-11-2011, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w203 c240 v6
Exclamation cardan, squeaking noise rear (Not suspension) when accelerating

Dear All,

Lately I've noticed strange squeaking noise from the rear end of the car only when I am accelerating. (w203 c240 aut 2000) So when I let the gas pedal loose, it stops making the squeaking noise. This is both at slow and fast speeds. Just FYI the rear suspension has been completely renewed 3-4k km ago (official mb parts), so that is not the noise maker.

A friend of mine who is a mechanic had a look at it, he found out that the oil in the "cardan" (not sure if this is the correct word in English, gimbal axis universal joint ?? ) was completely dried out. Therefore he added the neccesary oil, but the problem is not solved. He told me to drive around the coming week to find out if it will reduce the noise. What is the possible reason of this annoying noise? Ironically I always went to the AD for service and maintenance and in all the invoices I have never seen anything like cardan oil replacement. Which should be replaced every 60k km according to my friend. My car now is approaching 230k km and it's about time to sell the car.

However, if a potential buyer comes and figures out that there is noise in the back of the car, I guess he won't be so enthousiastic buying my car. Any ideas? I'm not a mechanic and definitely not technical, but I would say that some wheel bearing or something should be replaced?

My friend told me if I decide upon selling the car that old mechanics used to put sawdust into the cardan to stop the noise for a month or two. I rather not do that, but all ideas are welcome...

Just for the record, obvisouly as my intention is to sell the car, I rather not spend any more money and if necessary just as little as possible. (I would not reccomend to anybody to buy a w203 c240, although I know there are exceptions, but this one has given me so much headache the past 5 years that it made me sick. Translated to plain English, it's cheaper to buy any other brand new car than to keep on repairing all the issues with a w203)
Old 07-11-2011, 08:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
You should have the differential oil replaced if you havent done so with the correct MB recommended differential oil, if he didnt put the correct one in then you should do it again. You might also want to check the grease on the drive shaft yoke connected to the diff.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:55 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Also check the flex discs on the propshaft for cracks.
Old 07-13-2011, 01:18 AM
pcy
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 23 Likes on 22 Posts
'14 ML350, '13 C220 CDI, '07 C280, '98 ML320
Originally Posted by dovla
Dear All,

Lately I've noticed strange squeaking noise...
A friend of mine who is a mechanic had a look at it, he found out that the oil in the "cardan" (not sure if this is the correct word in English, gimbal axis universal joint ?? ) was completely dried out. Therefore he added the neccesary oil, but the problem is not solved.
Cardon joints don't have any oil in them. My ML320 has double cardon joint... no oil is in there and lubing is not necessary.

Take the truck to a competent mechanic and have him diagnose the vehicle by pacing the vehicle on the hoist. As Glyn suggested, have the flex discs inspected.