C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

COMAND Question....need help..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-29-2003, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
COMAND Question....need help..

guys,

I was wondering how can I tell that my Comand (coming from a G class 463) works fine in my C class (specifically the presence of my speed pulse).

I installed the speed pulse as suggested by few fellow members in this forum (thanks guys!) and followed the connection as shown in another thread too.

I do not have the CD yet at the moment so I cannot really check but I went to my dealership today to have them set the 'convenience feature' on the instrument cluster display however:

1. my SA said since I retrofitted a G class into a C Class it WOULD not work. (unless they spend hours on it with $99/hr and may need to take the Comand apart).
he claimed that the AAM (Advanced..Module) did not recognize the Comand presence at all.

2. however, finally, the SA put an Alabama CD (which is not my coverage area) and it shows fine (without driving around though), it seemed that it's loading and thinking for a while then the display popped up.

please let me know your thoughts/experience, specifically, I am interested to know:

a. how to set the convenience feature (what exactly the procedure I should tell the SA who's inexperienced)

b. how to ensure that the speed pulse works fine (the nav system in my comand works fine in general?)

thanks
Old 05-30-2003, 09:10 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Re: Comand Question....need help..

Originally posted by aerodragon
1. my SA said since I retrofitted a G class into a C Class it WOULD not work. (unless they spend hours on it with $99/hr and may need to take the Comand apart).
he claimed that the AAM (Advanced..Module) did not recognize the Comand presence at all.
BS!

You can see whether you have speed when the comand nav CD is inserted and you are driving around with the map displayed...just make a 360 degree circle...if the arrow does that as well, you have speed.
You DO need a nav CD to see this (even in the service menu)

greetingz,
Old 05-30-2003, 12:47 PM

steve,

I will try your suggestion as soon as I get the nav CD. Thanks!
By the way, without the CD should I be able to hear the volume increases/changes as the speed increases/changes?

I am afraid that I do not see this happening at the moment.
Old 05-30-2003, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
steve,

I will try your suggestion as soon as I get the nav CD. Thanks!
By the way, without the CD should I be able to hear the volume increases/changes as the speed increases/changes?

I am afraid that I do not see this happening at the moment.
Yes, you should hear changes in volume due to the speed sensitive volume control. Yours may be set to 0db which is the same as off. Mine was set to -9db, which is the max change, and I had the dealer adjust it to -6db.
Old 05-30-2003, 11:43 PM

Lynn,

how can I adjust this? do I have to take to dealership?

so, does it come standard as 0 dB?

thanks
Old 05-31-2003, 01:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The dealer has to adjust it with the DAS computer. The default setting is -6db, but since many of the COMAND's being installed are used or refurbished, they could be set to some other setting.
Old 05-31-2003, 05:20 PM

guys,

I am having another problem with my comand,

I just activated my comand (G class comand into a C Class) today:

few hours ago, while I tried to enter street address (destination address), the 'British lady' voice would say your 'current position is not a digitized road'. and it would not direct me (no more voice since then) after that. it also showed 'off road' on the display

then I brought it to the dealer and asked them, after few hours, no one knew what's happening.

when I arrived at home, suddenly after pushing few buttons and maybe restarting it, I could get the 'turning arrow' showed up and giving 'turning' direction without the error: not digitized position. however, right after that, there was no more 'voice direction' eventhough if I looked at the route list, it will show exactly the streets I have to go through and it was correct.

this also happened when I tried to enter other destinations, it won't give me anymore voice direction, both the voice direction and the turning arrow direction disappeared again right away after the first guidance (for example make a left after turning the next right...then..blank no more voice) .

basically, the satellite knows exactly where I am (eventhough I am in motion too, in another word always updated where I was) but the voice guidance is not there.

another problem:
most of the times, I could enter the street address directly (under nav, destn address), but sometimes I had to push the town button first (the street and centre icons cannot be selected), then I could fill these 2 info after I filled the town name...

it's very strange...I already attached the speed pulse wiring to make sure the G class comand is recognized in C Class.. (hopefully)

thanks a lot for your suggestion...

Last edited by aerodragon; 05-31-2003 at 07:28 PM.
Old 05-31-2003, 07:32 PM

by the way,

it's Euro version...and I am also still figuring it out how I can change the time setting into US??
Old 05-31-2003, 08:55 PM
Almost a Member!

aerodragon, Sorry to hear about the problem you had. I just got my parts today, but I still need two more things -- HRS connector/cable and more pins, so I have not got a chane to put mine in yet. I was wondering if you could let me know the part # of that HRS connector? thx
Old 06-01-2003, 12:35 AM

hi,

which one is the HRS connector? I don't think I bought one...
let me know
Old 06-01-2003, 01:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

hi,

which one is the HRS connector? I don't think I bought one...
let me know
If you are receiving signals from the GPS satellites, you already have an HRS connector.

There are 19 or 20 steps to setting the correct US time in the Euro COMAND. I'll try to type up the instructions tomorrow.
Old 06-01-2003, 01:50 AM

Lynn,

I tried to pm you..but your mailbox is full.....

do you have any suggestions on why my comand is not giving voice direction?

thanks...

PS: it would be great to see the time change instruction..
Old 06-01-2003, 12:06 PM
Almost a Member!

here's the gps ant. I have, just like many people mentioned, it came with an non-HRS connector. I was trying to find out the part # which will convert it to an HRS connector?

also, I know the speed pulse connection point is under a fuse box, but I'm not sure which one? the one in the back? the one in the front drvier side? or it's the one under the hood? thx
Attached Thumbnails COMAND Question....need help..-gps-ant.jpg  
Old 06-01-2003, 01:00 PM

hi,

I understand it now. I bought a GPS antenna that comes with the correct connection (not the same shown on your post above),

this is the part number:

The GPS Antenna is A203 820 09 75

the speed pulse, I cannot give you more info yet since my comand is not working yet (maybe due to this) and I do not want to mislead you..
Old 06-01-2003, 10:35 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
this is the part number:

The GPS Antenna is A203 820 09 75
Have a look at that picture; it is the SAME antenna. There is no OEM Mercedes GPS antenna available that comes with an HRS connector...

Spongebob: get the 203 GPS extension cable from the mercedes dealership (partnumber ends with 70 06 if I remember it correctly)...it is a cable that connects to the GPS anetnne you have and the comand.
The fusebox you need to connect to is the one under the hood.

greetingz,
Old 06-01-2003, 11:01 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
'your current position is not a digitized road'
it also showed 'off road' on the display

at the dealer, no one knew what's happening.

but sometimes I had to push the town button first (the street and centre icons cannot be selected), then I could fill these 2 info after I filled the town name...
After a comand is first installed, it does not know where it exactly is...not even when it already picks up to 8 satelites...and therefore it will ALWAYS come with the message: 'your position is not located on a digitised road'.
As soon as you start to drive, however, it will learn its exact position and will be able to calculate routes within a few feet...

Since you installed a G-class comand in a W203, you had to add a speedwire (which you did, but you weren't sure whether you did it right).
If you didn't connect the speedwire right, the comand was not able to get the cursor set properly and will show off road and therefore it is not able to calculate anything (no need for the lady to raise her voice then).

Comand is fairly intelligent itself and might have figured out the proper speedpulse settings while you drove up and down to/from the dealership (a 10 miles straight raod with 60-80mph constantly normally does the trick) which is what might explain the current proper mapping of comand.

I prsume you did set the tiresize in your comand?

To check whether the navigation input functions properly now, go to map, look at the number of received satelites in the top and make a 360 degree turn with the car...if the received number of satelites is 3 or up and the cursor makes the 360 degree turn as well, you ought to have a proper functioning nav system.

Check the sound settings of the lady in the navigation setting menu and be sure that you haven't muted the voice (which can be done by holding the mute for 2 seconds at the moment she speaks).

greetingz,

Last edited by MBenzNL; 06-01-2003 at 11:03 PM.
Old 06-01-2003, 11:11 PM

steve,
thanks for your input...i will try it again (360 degree).

i did set the tire (in the calibration)

i am not able to see 'my speed' at all on the 'infos' window after pushing mute, 1 and 3 all together...
it only showed:

warmstart
14 volt battery

is this normal??

i believe i did not mute her..but will check again

something new i found today is that after I started the engine, I cannot directly enter the street name and centre (only town button is highlighted)...however, after I set my current location, then i was able to have these street name and centre button highlighted again.

i am going to see my dealer again tomorrow and don't know what to do
Old 06-02-2003, 12:35 AM

steve,

i did try the 360 deg:

i saw there are at least 5 to 8 SAT however my cursor stayed at the same position while I was turning around 360 degree.

i will have the speed pulse check again...

Old 06-02-2003, 01:22 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
i did try the 360 deg; however my cursor stayed at the same position while I was turning around 360 degree.
There you go: NO speedpulse and thus a non functioning nav system. As long as you don't have a speedpulse the lady in comand won't speak to you.

Being able to directly enter a streetname or having to start with the town is something that depends on the previous succesfully entered data...it is normal when you have to start with the city most of the times (since your comand doesn't function right).

The speed in the service menu under info's can only be seen when your comand has the latest software...yours obviously did not come with the latest software version.

I hope you bought that comand for a very good price considering the fact that you spend loads of time trying to get it active (at home AND at the dealership)...it could have been a lot! easier .

good luck & greetingz,
Old 06-02-2003, 01:29 PM

steve,

the dealer was able to set the convenience feature

but they did not want to even look at my connection..

they tried to update using Bosch CD but my comand would not let this to happen (is this a problem with my comand??)

I am going to look at the speed wire again. The speed wire is not detected in the star diagnosis system.
The dealer re-set and re-coded it to be in C class but it's still not functioning.

Even there's a 'TP' red button on the far right now...which I have no idea (phone??)

yup, it took longer than I thought....where are you by the way if I may know??

thanks.....
Old 06-02-2003, 10:30 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
they tried to update using Bosch CD but my comand would not let this to happen (is this a problem with my comand??)
NOOO, your EURO comand does not (I repeat NOT) take the US spec comand update CD that your dealer inserted in the comand...the US update CD comes with a different protocol then the euro update CD...these US/EURO spec update CDs are non interchangeable.

Your dealership can reprogram the comand into whatever they want but since it is wired up inside as a 463 comand it does NOT accept speed over CANBUS (like the 203 comand)...it needs a separate speedpulse lead.

TP is used in europe for traffic info...and is of no use in the US.

You are going through way too much hassle trying to get navigation into your car...

greetingz,
Old 06-02-2003, 10:40 PM

steve,

will software update (using the EURO CD) solve my problem assuming I install the speed wire correctly??

let me understand it correctly, what exactly should I do about the speed wire?

should I connect from plug 24 pin 3 to C2 pin 6 (statement 1) or

The speed pulse needs to be connected to Con A pin 1 & Con C2 pin 6. Con A pin1 is the speed volume and Con C2 pin 6 is for the sat nav
(statement 2)

which statement is correct above ? 1 or 2?

yup...I have spent my working hours to do this..
Old 06-02-2003, 10:41 PM

honestly I am confused what I did for the speedwire..

what exactly or where exactly is the speed wire in the car itself?

I believe I just made connection shown above ( I forgot whether I did statement 1 or 2 above)

but will check it tomorrow again
Old 06-02-2003, 10:46 PM

or specifically where can I find my speed wire in the car

and after I find it what should I connect it to?

thanks a lot..
Old 06-03-2003, 04:36 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
will software update (using the EURO CD) solve my problem
NO
should I connect to C2 pin 6
YES, you do NOT need to connect speed to A pin 1.
what exactly or where exactly is the speed wire in the car itself?
There isn't one...which is why you need to take speed from the botomside of the fusebox under the hood...

greetingz,

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: COMAND Question....need help..