C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Help identifying wiring harness location?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-28-2011, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Sport
Help identifying wiring harness location?

I have an '06 C230 Sport. When I took possession I noticed that the right front fog lamp (AMG-style) didn't seem to be secured properly. Sure enough, it fell out of its housing location and dislodged the right inner panel from the fender. I heard a scraping sound, stopped, found the lamp hanging by its harness and the inner fender panel was literally torn loose with a portion of wiring harness dragging on the ground.

I unplugged the fog lamp fixture and it appears to be in good shape, but I haven't figured out quite where the other end of the harness goes? I've searched to discover that the ambient temperature sensor is somehow located in the area of this fog lamp (but don't know exactly where?), and have the '+185 degree' reading on the dash console (and the CEL indicates an issue with the ambient temp harness).

I've attached a photo of the panel and the wiring. I know the larger connector is for the fog lamp bulb. Questions are:

1- Where is the ambient temperator sensor located (and what does it look like in case I find it still attached?

2- I don't know what the smaller connector in the photo is for, or where it attaches (it is shown just above the fog lamp connector)?

3-Also, there is about 24-30 inches of wire running from these connectors, but I'm not sure where to start looking to find the other end of this harness?

4-Also, the RH side marker bulb and harness was pulled from the housing. I replaced the bulb and inserted back into the housing but the lamp doesn't illuminate, so I'm thinking the socket may be bad. Is that a common replacement part, too?

5-Lastly, the fog lamp had absolutely no screws, clips, etc. on it nor on the two mounting points. I've attached it with bolts, washers and nuts but would like to do it 'right'. I've found parts showing the fog lamp, but not anything showing the correct mounting hardware.

Any help is greatly appreciated! After initially being rather afraid of the costs I might incur, I'm starting to feel that this is a project I may be able to do myself.

Help identifying wiring harness location?-img-20110828-00125.jpg

Last edited by racer1735; 08-28-2011 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:44 AM

C230 Sport
No one can tell me where the ambient temp sensor is located, nor where the wiring for the sensor is routed?
Old 08-30-2011, 11:29 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
I have no info on harness routing. Hopefully someone else can help.

Exterior temp sensor see 50

The sensor is on the RHS under the mesh next to fog & the bug in pic from another member. Cone shaped.

One size fits all front bumper assemblies
Attached Thumbnails Help identifying wiring harness location?-fog-lamps.jpg   Help identifying wiring harness location?-exterior-temp-sensor-50.jpg   Help identifying wiring harness location?-front-bumper-attachment-parts.jpg  

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 08-30-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:58 AM

C230 Sport
Super depictions, thanks!

I have discerned that the extra plug is what goes to the ambient temperature sensor itself.
Old 09-11-2011, 12:27 PM

C230 Sport
Looking a bit further, I've figured out where the ambient temp sensor goes, have the fog lamp attached (RH side) and have the proper lower inner fender liner ordered. Looking at the remnants of the wires coming from the various harness, I find two green and two brown wires. I'm guessing the green are 'hot' and the brown are 'negative'.

Looking under the hood, there are two 'cut' brown wires going to what appears to be a ground point just in front of the coolant reservoir....about six different brown wires terminate at a big lug, with two of these wires being cut (I'm guessing that two of the brown wires in my harness remnant).

What I cannot locate are the two green wires? No sign of where the other ends of them have gone? Do they run behind the bumper cover? There are numerous wrapped wires bundled behind the RH headlamp housing, but no sign of cut or broken green wiring?