C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

unwanted oil in engine...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2011, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 K Coupe (05)
unwanted oil in engine...

Hi guys,

As the pictures will show below, there is oil coming from somewhere in my engine. All the harnesses were replaced by the dealership and I recently replaced the spark plugs. The first spark plug was extremely oily and the second one was a bit oily upon replacement. Number 3 and 4 were dry. Upon removing number 1 plug last night, I saw oil again. Prognosis???

TIA

#1 is the closest to camera and #4 is farthest

#1 plug

Covered with oil

Oil accumulating in there! I had cleaned it out when i replaced the spark plugs

Minor leak from here too (right side)
Old 10-21-2011, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2019 C300 Wagon; '75 Triumph TR6; previous: 2004 C230 6spd sold after 17 years of driving
oil in number 1 spark plug well is a result of sloppy pouring by whomever was doing your oil changes

Oil around the camshaft solenoid actuators, either snug up the bolts or refit a new o-ring - may not be seated properly
Old 10-21-2011, 03:36 PM

C230 K Coupe (05)
Originally Posted by Boom vang
oil in number 1 spark plug well is a result of sloppy pouring by whomever was doing your oil changes

Oil around the camshaft solenoid actuators, either snug up the bolts or refit a new o-ring - may not be seated properly
i got the oil change done by the dealership 5k miles ago. And the one thing i noticed was that oil was splashed everywhere in the engine bay. took it back to the dealership and they steam washed the engine bay...so quite possibly. but will that oil come back there even after i cleaned it out last time?
Old 10-21-2011, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
I am in the process of going through something similar (same engine too)... check the recent posts of my thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...updates-4.html

basically even though i had my cam sensor replaced to prevent oil leaks... for some reason they didn't do it properly the first time and have to fix all the damage that was caused by the oil buildup
Old 10-21-2011, 06:59 PM

C230 K Coupe (05)
Originally Posted by Midnight Koop
I am in the process of going through something similar (same engine too)... check the recent posts of my thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...updates-4.html

basically even though i had my cam sensor replaced to prevent oil leaks... for some reason they didn't do it properly the first time and have to fix all the damage that was caused by the oil buildup
doh! atleast your coupe is alive again

I have gotten my cam sensors replaced already. Gonna do a compression as per a friends recommendation...
Old 10-22-2011, 08:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
Originally Posted by hieracity
doh! atleast your coupe is alive again

I have gotten my cam sensors replaced already. Gonna do a compression as per a friends recommendation...
just make sure that when the cam senors was replaced that it was done properly and cleaned/inspected properly at the time the recall was serviced.

i had mine replaced too, but because they didn't do a thorough inspection... it lead to all the problems that happened this week... and their was oil everywhere.

goodluck!
Old 10-22-2011, 10:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2019 C300 Wagon; '75 Triumph TR6; previous: 2004 C230 6spd sold after 17 years of driving
Originally Posted by Midnight Koop
just make sure that when the cam senors was replaced that it was done properly and cleaned/inspected properly at the time the recall was serviced.

i had mine replaced too, but because they didn't do a thorough inspection... it lead to all the problems that happened this week... and their was oil everywhere.

goodluck!
They are not cam sensors but rather solenoid/ actuators the move the camshaft to the different lobes for the variable valve timing. Don't understand why people keep calling these magnets as sensors.

There are 2 cam sensor (CMP) and you will find them at these locations: The intake CMP is located opposite coil for cyl 3 and the exhaust CMP is on the right side of the cylinder head just below the valve cover and are made of plastic

Lets call the parts by the proper name or people will be looking for the wrong item
Attached Thumbnails unwanted oil in engine...-untitled-2.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by Boom vang; 10-22-2011 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Check all crankcase breathers for leaks. Also check cambox gasket & plug hole seals for leaks.
If you need to replace the cambox gasket use some Yamabond on it.
Old 10-22-2011, 04:11 PM

C230 K Coupe (05)
Thanks guys! Do you think I might need to replace the valve cover gasket?
Old 10-22-2011, 07:46 PM
Super Moderator

Possibly - that's what I'm calling the cambox gasket. There are also 4 rubber seals - one around each plug hole. You can buy the gasket and seals as a kit.
Old 10-22-2011, 08:02 PM

C230 K Coupe (05)
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Possibly - that's what I'm calling the cambox gasket. There are also 4 rubber seals - one around each plug hole. You can buy the gasket and seals as a kit.
Thanks glyn. That's exactly what I'm going to get replaced next weekend. The shop I go to said that it's pretty prevalent issue with this engine.
Old 10-23-2011, 07:23 AM
Super Moderator

It does happen from time to time which is why I recommend Yamabond. It's the finest sealer I have found & when you need to lift the cambox/valve cover again it will let go easily & can be peeled off of the surfaces easily. It remains pliable. No need for scrapers etc. That's why it is so popular in racing.
Old 10-23-2011, 08:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
Originally Posted by Boom vang
They are not cam sensors but rather solenoid/ actuators the move the camshaft to the different lobes for the variable valve timing. Don't understand why people keep calling these magnets as sensors.

There are 2 cam sensor (CMP) and you will find them at these locations: The intake CMP is located opposite coil for cyl 3 and the exhaust CMP is on the right side of the cylinder head just below the valve cover and are made of plastic

Lets call the parts by the proper name or people will be looking for the wrong item
thanks for the clarification