C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

New to Forum!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-11-2003, 12:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"A Mercedes-Benz product"
New to Forum!

Hey everyone I am Jason I just got over the worst car pehaps ever made: a 2001 BMW 325i. Ugggggg was this a nightmare! everything never worked, including the sunroof the manual part of the "steptronic" transmission, to leaks whenever it rained. Not worth the $34,000 paid. On the other hand, I am very happy with my 2002 MB coupe (C-230) no problems. not even when i got into a very large accident (flipped over a mini-van) Also, very safe I walked out w/o a bruse...I was not even wearing my seatbelt. Anyways I am in Fort lauderdale, so if any of you are in the aera drop me a line and we go driving! By the way, do you guys know when the "face-lifted W203 is comming...I am thinking upgrading to a sports sedan....but want to wait to see the changes......thanks, Jason
Old 06-11-2003, 03:06 AM

WELCOME!!! glad to hear you got out of your accident safe, your benz wasn't totaled?
Old 06-11-2003, 01:43 PM

11' E-350 BlueTec
Welcome to the forum!!!!!!!!. You'll find a lot of useful information from a lot of nice people.
Old 06-11-2003, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W211 E55 AMG, ML63 AMG, Past 996GT3,ZCPM3,Brabus C32,ML 500
AAhh another turned around BMW ,,Cool..Welcome..
Old 06-11-2003, 02:34 PM

....Your Benz wasn't totaled?

No, it wasn't a total. When I hit the mini-van (@ like 35Mph) I hit it on the rear-driver quater pannel and fliped it over twice (landing on it's side). The damage to my car was not that major, it did not even go to the core support. The headlights where broken and bumpers, Etc... Although my accident was not very major, I expected my airbag to deply,but it did not. When I called Mercedes, they said there is a preset threshold before the airbag(s) deploy. I guess where I got hit it did not intrude that much. But still is that normal ? 35 mph, and no airbag ? The car behind me was a black Ford Taurus, and she avoided hitting the minivan and slamed into another car. Her airbag went off though, and from where I saw her hit, I thought she was way under the speed I went. Anyone else had an accident with a mercedes and no airbag deployed ? I took it to Mercedes to get a safety check and the said everything is "A-OK". I only had the car for about a month. Ugg...It could be worse.... Anyways does anyone know if there is a facelift due to the w203 sedan soon?
Old 06-11-2003, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
There are ways to make your car much faster so that when you do get into accidents the airbags will deploy. Check out my new website www.Buellwinkle.com there are several performance mods listed. I just put it up Sunday so I'm still working on content.

Had a friend get into a pretty bad accident in a Lexus GS300, a fairly large car. The car was t-boned and the driver's side of the car was pushed in about 8-10", of course it was totalled. None of the airbags, including side impact bags went off. He walk away but was very dissapointed in the side airbags not going off.
Old 06-11-2003, 05:51 PM

2002 C230K
if you arent wearing your seatbelt, the airbags wont go off. precaution to keep you from going full force into a projectile coming at you at 200mph. and welcome to the forum
Old 06-11-2003, 07:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Had: 1987 300TD, Had: 2004 C230 Sport Sedan, Have: 2014 E350 Sport, Have: 2019 S450
The airbags deploy at a specific force of impact, not at a specific speed.

Hitting a van in the rear 1/4 panel is much different than dead-centering a stopped car. As you saw, the van moved significantly due to your impact. This movement decreased the force on your car - most likely below the deployment threshold. The fact that your damage was minor also supports this premise.

Speed is not the same as force. Had a friend who hit a concrete light reinforcement in a parking lot at about 10mph. He wound up unconcious, and stayed in the hospital for a couple of days with head injuries (before days of airbags). Simply put, the concrete didn't move, so 100% of the impact force was absorbed by his car (head).

Glad you're ok. And, at you saved at least $2k by not popping the bags!
Old 06-11-2003, 10:27 PM

W203 and W211
Hi!

Welcome Aboard!!!! Glad you are okay,...Are you planning to do some mods with your merc?

Ab-ab
Old 06-11-2003, 11:04 PM
moomeh

hey meanbenzdriver. welcome to mbworld.
Old 06-11-2003, 11:26 PM

Lightbulb Mods

I was thinking about doing some mods to my car but I have to take into affect that the car is a lease, and that I really want the C-230 sports sedan. If I were to do anything to my car now, I would change the pulley, as seen on a really good, informative website by Buellwinkle (buellwinkle.com) My friend has a 2001 Pontiac grand Prix GTP and he has a pulley change it the results to accelleration are dramatic. I used to kill him on take offs but now, I can only beat him past 95mph. Would I notice a big change in acceleration? Remember, my friends' supercharger is larger then mine which is an Eaton ME 45 (his is an Eaton ME 90) or is it all proportional? Also, I am looking sports sedans accept the BMW!!!!! I hate that car with a passion!!!!!!!!!UGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The Audi A4 1.8t. Does anyone have any experiences with Audi or know if they are good as Mercedes ?
Let me know...J
Old 06-12-2003, 01:04 AM

1988 560SL (Sold)
No Seat Belt???

Hey, MeanBenz, welcome!!! You indeed will find tons of great info from a lot of (mostly) very friendly individuals. You will also love your car. Now, without trying to sound TOO fatherly, if you were too (pick your favorite word that ends with -ing here) lazy to put your (pick your favorite word that ends with -ing here) seatbelt on, how can you complain that the (pick your favorite word that ends with -ing here) airbag didn't go off??? C'mon, my friend, we want to read your posts for a long time! Please put it on every time.

Enjoy your new car!

Tim