C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

understeer

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2006, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
2006 E55 and 2002 E320
I test drove both the 2005 BMW 325i Sedan (one with sport package, one without) and the 2005 Mercedes C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan prior to acquiring my C. Keep in mind, this is the E46 3 series.

Personally, in terms of comfort and ride quality, I actually like the BMW better, the C is actually a bit more firmer than the 3 Sport.

However, normally when you have stiffened springs, the ride quality is worsened, but in the case of the 3 series, the ride quality was perfect, sporty, reasonable body lean, and perfect comfort.

The Mercedes has maybe a bit more body lean, not as comfortable (too firm), and about the same everywhere else.

Now, going to understeering and oversteering. Personally, I've never experienced understeer in any of my vehicles. However, in my C, I have experienced oversteer several times, as I like to take the corners a bit faster than I should.

Regarding suspension set up. After reading the article provided in the link by drexappeal, I would try to play with the stiffness of the springs and the dampers.

VERY INTERSTING site and good thing that you revived this thread!
Old 05-11-2006, 12:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C 230K Coupé
However, in my C, I have experienced oversteer several times, as I like to take the corners a bit faster than I should.
Wow that's interesting to hear because I have never been able to oversteer in my 02 coupe. Though that shouldn't be much of a surprise I guess considering it's shorter and a completely different year. I haven't had the chance to test drive the new C's but it sounds like they have definitelly made an improvement in the handling department.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:53 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
I get oversteer all the time in the C. In fact, when I have people sitting in the back seat, it's even easier to get the oversteer, the back will completely break lose.

However, ironically, in the E, I never had the back actually fishtail and lose traction (except for once in a scary situation, I was in third gear, hit an oil patch while accelerating onto the freeway, span out the tires and almost lost control and went off the freeway or hit the other side of the onramp).

The oversteer is very controllable though. Never happens excessively (at least not with the speeds I'm driving at). If you turned out just the slightest bit, you'll regain all the traction.

I think that perhaps the coupe and the sedan differ in this aspect?
Old 05-11-2006, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts
Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
Originally Posted by patrick_y
I get oversteer all the time in the C. In fact, when I have people sitting in the back seat, it's even easier to get the oversteer, the back will completely break lose.

However, ironically, in the E, I never had the back actually fishtail and lose traction (except for once in a scary situation, I was in third gear, hit an oil patch while accelerating onto the freeway, span out the tires and almost lost control and went off the freeway or hit the other side of the onramp).

The oversteer is very controllable though. Never happens excessively (at least not with the speeds I'm driving at). If you turned out just the slightest bit, you'll regain all the traction.

I think that perhaps the coupe and the sedan differ in this aspect?
ptraick, you've got a 2005. The 2005 had an upgraded suspension from prior years and from what I understand, a 2005-present 230 K SS with an upgraded aftermarket suspension and swaybars is much better than prior years with upgraded aftermarket suspension. There's an adaptive steering function in the 2005+ models that wasn't on prior MY's.

That may be why you experience oversteer when many of us experience understeer. Ever since I got my TEIN's and the Brabus swaybars, I don't experience it as prominently as before, but I still need to adjust my dampers to lessen the understeer more.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

A box on 4 wheels
Oh yeah I forgot I was comparing an 05 vs 03 my apoligies.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Blimp
Personally i have my tire pressures set up to combat understeer. I have no problems whatsoever. I actually OVERSTEER more then anything, but that's always fun.

The real point is to be smooth around corners, take the right lines and you wont have to worry about anything.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Originally Posted by Sauceboy01
Personally i have my tire pressures set up to combat understeer. I have no problems whatsoever. I actually OVERSTEER more then anything, but that's always fun.

The real point is to be smooth around corners, take the right lines and you wont have to worry about anything.
Yes, I oversteer a lot more too. Drexappeal, thanks for the tutorial. I'm still surprised though that the small difference between one year can be so substantial.

When you said "adaptive steering" does that mean my ratio changes? I think that the ratio is always the same. I've read about Mercedes' "Direct Control" which is featured on my automobile and all it says is that it's a more direct steering ratio.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:12 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Midnight Blue 2004.5 C230 Kompressor Sport Sedan. 2002 w210 E320, 2009 w211 E350 Sport
When you said "adaptive steering" does that mean my ratio changes? I think that the ratio is always the same. I've read about Mercedes' "Direct Control" which is featured on my automobile and all it says is that it's a more direct steering ratio.
I'm sorry, I got the wording mixed up (because I'm always talking to different people about different cars). You are correct. It's called "Direct Control". That was not offered on MY 2004.5 and prior. 2005 was the 1st year that was used (at least on the w203).
Old 05-11-2006, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Seriously Drexappeal, I wonder, do you work for Mercedes-Benz? You seem to know everything.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:32 PM
Super Moderator Alumni

Seriously Drexappeal, I wonder, do you work for Mercedes-Benz? You seem to know everything.
LOL...partrick. Nah, I just really have loved this car ever since it was released! So much so that when I first joined this website, all I did each day was do searches and read majority of the time. I started off with "aftermarket tuning", then "suspension", then "engine modifications", then...well, you get the picture. See, so searching does pay off, as long as you use the right tools.

Luckily, the more I got to know 'bout the car, the more knowledgable I became (especially having been into tuning for the past 12-13 years, since before I turned 16). It also helped that there were A LOT of veteran members that were more than happy to share info with me. The 2005 got released a few months after my car, so I had to know all that I missed out on and all that I had that was better.

Either way, thanks for the compliment. I just try my best to really learn this car more and more as time goes along. And on the way, help out peeps as much as I can.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 and 2002 E320
Well, that's very nice of you to help me better understand my vehicle with your expertise.

I will say one thing, the 2005 model, missed out on the 2004.5 model. The 2004.5 model had 4 piston brakes (front) with different diameter pistons! Those were definitely Brembos, I know for sure.

The 2005, the dealer told me were also supplied by Brembo, however, the 2005 model only has two pistons on the brakes. Brembo rarely makes two piston brakes, even very rarely for the rear.

Lastly, they should hire you at your local dealership. Those sales agents make around a quarter million a year (for the better than average ones). And the one that I deal knows less about the car than I do.
Old 05-12-2006, 02:42 PM

2006 W203, 2001 Porsche Boxster
My 2 cents

1) I agree with the poster who mentioned upsizing your front tire width. Example, if you are using 225, move to 235 on your next tire change. This makes a big difference on the Boxster, another car that is design to understeer in order to keep inexperienced drivers from doing 360's.
2) You mentioned that the tires were new? New tires are not as good for traction on dry pavement as worn ones (the reason racers "shave" their tires). New tires should always be driven easily for the first 500 to 1000 miles as you wear off the mold release compound. When I put new tires on my cars, I always notice they feel "squisher" on the edge for the first 2 to 3K miles.
3) I have to disagree with the poster the W203 is the worst handling of the MBZs. While I have not driven many of the models, I find the 2006 C230 to be a very nicely balanced and predictable car with much less body lean than most sedans in its class. The ride is nosier and definitely on the rougher side for a sedan - - - but I like it that way and it is why I bought the car. Road feel and handling are much more important to me than options and comfort. Also, I could buy the car with a manual transmission, a rare option on sedans these days!

Disclaimer: The C230 is my wife’s car and not fully broken in yet so I have not had the opportunity to push it to its limitations - - - so my performance observations are not from direct experience with this car!