C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Battery Drain - Instrument Panel Culprit

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 01:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 (Wifes) 1998 Jeep XJ (Me) 1966 Mustang Fastback (Me)
Battery Drain - Instrument Panel Culprit

I have been battling battery drain issues with my wife's '02 C230K for the last several months. Same story as most everyone else - battery dead one random day, replace battery, dead again in a few days, search forums, remove fan from overhead console (running constantly), dead again in a few days, unplug seat module connectors (no power seats here though), dead again, pull fuses while checking current draw - nothing definitive, replace alternator (why not? lol), dead again, pull hair out, more forum searches, hook up ammeter and start unplugging components - overhead module no discernable change, cd changer no change, radio no change.... instrument panel - BINGO! Current draw drops from ~700mA to ~100mA.

Ok, so it's the instrument panel. Great, probably the biggest PITA since it's one of the few components 'married' to the car. So, I proceed to grab a salvaged panel from eBay for $125 with similar mileage (112K vs the 108K on ours) and from the same year/model (2002 C230K). Plug it in, and the panel goes right to sleep as it's supposed to! I can live with 100mA draw...

So, awesome, I find I have traded one problem for two others - mileage is ----- and gas guage doesnt work (pegged @ E). Now, being a diligent forum searcher, I did realize that both of these issues could arise - but what else could I do? How much would I have to pay MB for a new cluster - $2K? Not gonna happen... So, what are my options here? Why exactly does the gas guage not work? Is this rectifiable via 'programming' the cluster at a shop (using 'STAR')? Same for the mileage? Will they do this, or try to shake me down for some serious $$?

I'll sell this car before paying any shop any significant sum of money for anything. I do my own work on my cars - always have. That being said, this particular problem has proven quite trying... Good thing I've got my trusty Jeep Cherokee as an extra vehicle, as my wife has met with a dead car at least twice a week since this began. Needless to say she's pretty pissed, and that never makes my life any easier! That, and I'm getting real tired of trying to track down this damn issue... I'd be real happy if someone could pinpoint just how I can get this new panel to work for me or if not possible, what I should be looking for in a different replacement (year range of donor vehicle, etc..).

Any help here is greatly appreciated!

BTW - Any ideas on just what within the cluster is drawing 600mA? That's a huge draw for such a benign component as its not as if it's lit up or anything while taking the current. And, if anyone does know what it is, can I replace just that sub-component?
Old 12-23-2011, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230 (Wifes) 1998 Jeep XJ (Me) 1966 Mustang Fastback (Me)
Noone? Bump...
Old 12-23-2011, 02:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
With the old cluster withdrawn can you power it up then feel where it is warm. This may be a ridiculous suggestion but is what came to mind! Then disconect the problem area if that is possible..

You're doing a great job & probably nearly there.

You can always ask the MB dealer for a quote for Star. Surely hooking it up to a machine & programing the cluster will not cost much.

Good luck & keep us informed.Interesting one !!
Old 12-23-2011, 04:24 PM
Super Moderator

Received 178 Likes on 145 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Anything connected to the CANBUS that does not go to sleep as it should will draw current.

Carsy's suggestion is NOT stupid. The warmest component will likely be the one drawing the most.

Clusters with over 1000 miles on board are a swine to do anything with. I would PM Steve our sponsor at MBenzNL and ask him what is possible with a Star in developer mode.

Otherwise repairing the component in the old cluster that is suffering insomnia seems like a good plan. You might be able to change the part out from your spare/new cluster if you can identify it.

Last edited by Glyn M Ruck; 12-23-2011 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts
2007 W204 220CDI Classic Sedan
If the worst comes to the worst I would rewire the old cluster in from the fuse & have a handy isolating switch in the line . It then could be isolated overnight .
Old 12-24-2011, 02:53 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
I bet you could fix the gas gauge with start it might be set for the new/old fuel sensors and your car has the other one. Or it could be angry and not talking with the car because it knows it is in the wrong car. Sadly I would say you will need to either get soldering or buy a new one.