C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2003 C230K - New Key and Aux

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 10:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 2003 C230K - New Key and Aux

Hello everyone,

I have 2 questions and I've searched around the internet for a while now and I can't find a straight answer. I'll be very grateful if you can please help me out

1) So, I own a 2003 C230 Kompressor. I am using a cracked plastic smart key case that came with the car and I'm looking into getting a new key, especially the nice chrome looking ones, and I know that they are very pricey at the dealership and some of them vary prices, but I read somewhere that I can just buy the blank chrome key case online, open up the old plastic key, remove the chip, and insert the chip into the new chrome key case. Is this true? If so, which one should I buy? Because there seems to be different kinds out chrome cases out there.

2) My C230 has the regular stereo with a tape player and CD changer in the glove box. I don't use the CD changer and I have issues of getting it to play my burned CD's. So I'd rather connect my HTC phone with an AUX cable to the car and I know that they sell kits where I can remove the CD changer and replace it with a wire that will give me an AUX connection. Can I get this at the dealership or do I have to purchase it somewhere online?

Thanks in advance for the help and happy holidays!
Old 12-25-2011, 10:26 PM

2006 C230 Sedan
To the answer of #1.

Nope. Doesn't work. You mind as well just pony up the $$$ for the new chrome key. YES the chrome key is worth it and looks 10x better than the old easy to break case cover key.

How I know? I tried that route already. I had a missing key when I bought my car and end up getting a replacement for the spare second key. It wasn't cheap for the new chrome key, but it's worth it's money. As for the old black case key, I attempted to replace it. I bought a chrome key casing and in hope to do what you stated. When I actually tried, it didnt' fit. The old key chip is too wide to fit and also the metal key does not fit into the new chrome casing even if you some how mickey mouse the chip into the chrome casing.

In another words. Don't waste you time or money on the retrofit. Just spend it and get the real thing.

Oh.. If you want try, I have a chrome casing I can sell you. haha

Originally Posted by CodeBlue
Hello everyone,

I have 2 questions and I've searched around the internet for a while now and I can't find a straight answer. I'll be very grateful if you can please help me out

1) So, I own a 2003 C230 Kompressor. I am using a cracked plastic smart key case that came with the car and I'm looking into getting a new key, especially the nice chrome looking ones, and I know that they are very pricey at the dealership and some of them vary prices, but I read somewhere that I can just buy the blank chrome key case online, open up the old plastic key, remove the chip, and insert the chip into the new chrome key case. Is this true? If so, which one should I buy? Because there seems to be different kinds out chrome cases out there.

2) My C230 has the regular stereo with a tape player and CD changer in the glove box. I don't use the CD changer and I have issues of getting it to play my burned CD's. So I'd rather connect my HTC phone with an AUX cable to the car and I know that they sell kits where I can remove the CD changer and replace it with a wire that will give me an AUX connection. Can I get this at the dealership or do I have to purchase it somewhere online?

Thanks in advance for the help and happy holidays!
Old 12-25-2011, 10:30 PM

Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I have no choice :/ Can't believe they are so expensive. How much did you spend on your new chrome key?
Old 12-25-2011, 10:36 PM

2006 C230 Sedan
Yea, it's expensive, but it's 10x better than what you have.

It doesn't seem to break that easy.

Here's a tip when you do get yours. I don't put this key with any other key. I have a leather cover over it. Like this one ---> http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from...All-Categories

It works great with it and provides some protection to the key.

The dealership wanted $190 for my key ordering. Came next day and picked up at the counter. No need to bring my car in or any testing was done. Just gave me the key and pop right in and it started up.

When ordering, you do have to bring your Registration and driver's license. They need to verify that you are the owner of the car before they will order the key.

Originally Posted by CodeBlue
Thanks for the quick reply. I guess I have no choice :/ Can't believe they are so expensive. How much did you spend on your new chrome key?
Old 12-25-2011, 10:44 PM

sounds good. I appreciate your time and help
Old 12-28-2011, 12:02 PM

05 C230K Sport
your second question seems to have fallen through the cracks. you don't have to remove the cd changer. https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w203/81978-diy-setting-up-aux-input-ipod-mp3-player-etc.html
check this thread out. might be what you're looking for.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
'16 E350, gone: '03 c230k
Anything under $200 for the new key is a great deal. When I called around I think the cheapest dealer was ~$250. DO NOT go to a dealer who insists they have to charge you a fee to program it to the car as that's pure BS.

Your '03 can not use the aux cable mentioned in some threads, as the casette head unit does not support it. You cannot simply replace the CD changer with an 'aux in wire' because the CD changer uses fiber optics.

Sorry for the news - not trying to be a bummer, just want to save you some time/trouble as I've been there/done that with both these issues on my '03.

There is a thread here where someone has 'surgically altered' the casette deck and soldered in an aux cable, if you want to go that route.

I ran the gammit of wanting to put in an aftermarket nav stereo unit, did all my research, etc. and wound up going for the stock nav head unit (refurbushed, new condition for ~$500 on EBay) along with installing the aux cable.

Best of luck with it!!!
Old 12-28-2011, 10:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'02 C230 Coupe (Me) '03 SLK320 6MT (Wife)
I did the same, retrofitting the stock COMAND unit just to get the aux input connection. If you are slightly interested it is written up on my Coupe thread somewhere. Don't do it for the navigation ( got to remember that was designed in about 1999 ), but the aux in, the nice integrated look - and I did voice control at the same time just for fun.