C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

unexplained noise coming from front passenger side area

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2003, 11:13 AM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
unexplained noise coming from front passenger side area

i seem to have developed a strange noise which increases in frequency when i go faster and slows down when i do. it probably has something to do with the wheel but i cant spot anything loose in the wheel well which could possibly catch on to the tire when moving. any ideas??
Old 06-20-2003, 09:41 PM

You may have a tire defect with a belt ready to let loose. I would take it to the dealer.
Old 06-20-2003, 11:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It could be anything from the tire to the rotor to the bearings.

Start by replacing the tire. As tires wear, the noise increases.

There have been some comments on the boards about the rotors on the C Class coning. You can measure the thickness of the rotor using a micrometer, starting close to the hub, and moving outwards to the edge of the rotational mass of the rotor. There is also, a tool you can get the you can attach to a fixed point, then touch the rotor, and move the contact point to ensure that it is touching the rotor the entire way.

However, you didn't really describe the noise. Is it just a rotational vibration? A low frequency humming noise? A consistant clunking noise and regular intervals?

You left too many variables for anyone to give you a decisive answer.
Old 06-21-2003, 12:44 PM
Almost a Member!

it is kinda like a flapping noise which increases and decreases in loudness and frequency according to speed. furthermore, it doesnt always come on. i have noticed it more when i have been running the vehicle for sometime and when its hot. i dont think its the tires as they are brand new. on inspection, nothing seems to be catching - not the flap, not the rotor, nothing. tires are at normal pressure.
Old 06-21-2003, 05:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok- do this frist.

Go to your dealer, tell them you heard something about a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) regarding a "Rumbling noise in area of rear axle" <- That is the exact text from the TSB.

The bolt could have been under torqued in the first place. All they are going to do is replace the lower shock bolts and torque it to 55 Nm.

If that doesn't help, the natural progression is change the tires, check the brake rotors, then the axle bearings.

If you're under 40k this could all be under warranty.
Old 04-19-2005, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Originally Posted by nukblazi
Ok- do this frist.

Go to your dealer, tell them you heard something about a Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) regarding a "Rumbling noise in area of rear axle" <- That is the exact text from the TSB.

The bolt could have been under torqued in the first place. All they are going to do is replace the lower shock bolts and torque it to 55 Nm.

If that doesn't help, the natural progression is change the tires, check the brake rotors, then the axle bearings.

If you're under 40k this could all be under warranty.
Is that what yours was? Anybody else have this?
Old 04-19-2005, 09:49 PM

C180K
Originally Posted by sire
it is kinda like a flapping noise which increases and decreases in loudness and frequency according to speed. furthermore, it doesnt always come on. i have noticed it more when i have been running the vehicle for sometime and when its hot. i dont think its the tires as they are brand new. on inspection, nothing seems to be catching - not the flap, not the rotor, nothing. tires are at normal pressure.
How new are you tires? When I changed mine, the glue they used to stick the labels on the threads created the flapping noise which you have described. Gave me a shock initially but eventually went away after a couple of days.
Old 04-20-2005, 12:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
My problem just moved into the endzone. After searching the forumns for a while tonite, I went to the store, and on the way back the flapping, knocking noise got real loud. I took off from the light, shifted into second, and then the rear end blew out. Lotsa noise, banging, crunching sounds. If you got this noise go get it checked.
Old 04-20-2005, 11:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts
Something Slow
see this thread i have the same problem still didn't get it fix yet deal don't know how to get its fix does anyone know if its possible to DIY

see thread : https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...hlight=ticking
Old 04-20-2005, 11:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 G63 AMG, 2019 G550
I am experiencing the same problems. A week after I purchased the car I changed the tires to Kumho's and the wheels to 18inch TSW Bremmas and occasionally I hear the thumping noise that seems to come from the front right side of the car. I've checked to see if anything is rubbing, but I cannot find anything. What could it be?
Old 04-21-2005, 03:10 PM
Almost a Member!

2001 C240
I had a problem that sounds similar. The ticking noise varied with speed and only after I had run the car for some time. After 3 trips to the dealer it was determined the insoluation around the drive shaft got warm and would sag and touch the drive shaft. The solution was to shave a bit of the insolution off so it would not rub.

If your ticking noise seems to come from the center console my bet is it is the same problem.