C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

My custom intake

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 03:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My custom intake

I did this the other day after school. http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/171/photo2bfg.jpg/

You think I should move the filter somewhere else to make it more of a cold air intake? cause right now I feel its like a Ram air intake.

Any ideas?
Old 01-08-2012, 08:40 PM

2005 C230 Kompressor
what's inside your box now? or is it empty? looks good though
Old 01-08-2012, 10:25 PM

Originally Posted by hcalvarez
what's inside your box now? or is it empty? looks good though

Honestly, I'm not sure.. I think theres just a filter in the box
Old 01-08-2012, 11:19 PM

05 C230K Sport
I've got a similar thing going on, but I took the air filter out of the box. yours looks better than mine. grrrrr. back to the drawing board. lol
Old 01-09-2012, 05:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
2006 C350 Sport 6MT
Originally Posted by Harleyl7
Honestly, I'm not sure.. I think theres just a filter in the box

Wait you have the cone filter and the filter in the airbox? Dual filtering
Old 01-09-2012, 09:56 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 C55 AMG
I dont know about this.... A lot of hot air can get sucked in from that cone filter you have right by the engine. I was advised on the forums not to leave my air box open b/c of that hot air being sucked back in.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:25 AM

05 C230K Sport
you will suck in hot air, but if you get more air it should come out in the wash. cold air intakes are better because the air is more dense, but you can achieve the same thing with the high flow filter. I would remove the second filter in the air box though, especially if you didn't know if one is in there or not, I would venture to say its pretty dirty. just make sure when you remove it that you clean the air box out because it will now be past your filter.
Old 01-09-2012, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203
That's a nice hot air dual filtered intake. I wouldn't even call it ram air, cause previously all the air rammed into that intake inlet used to get pushed directly into the intake path - now it will just disperse around your cone filter.

I agree with others:
- Move it where it can be a proper cold air intake, yet you will not see any gains. Its been tried.
- Remove the original filter, yet make sure you clean out the airbox extremely well. Mine had small rocks in the bottom last time I cleaned my filter, wouldn't want that getting into the engine.
Old 01-09-2012, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by amanonfire
That's a nice hot air dual filtered intake. I wouldn't even call it ram air, cause previously all the air rammed into that intake inlet used to get pushed directly into the intake path - now it will just disperse around your cone filter.

I agree with others:
- Move it where it can be a proper cold air intake, yet you will not see any gains. Its been tried.
- Remove the original filter, yet make sure you clean out the airbox extremely well. Mine had small rocks in the bottom last time I cleaned my filter, wouldn't want that getting into the engine.
Where could I move my filter? there isn't much room.
Old 01-10-2012, 12:16 AM

2005 1.8 B/B
Any DIY custom cold air intake?
I have been waiting for that forever..........
Old 01-10-2012, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Mercury
Any DIY custom cold air intake?
I have been waiting for that forever..........
Ill work on for you!
Old 01-10-2012, 02:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W203
Originally Posted by Harleyl7
Where could I move my filter? there isn't much room.
In front of the passenger wheel there is some room, yet not much air flow. This is why there is no CAI for our cars, the original design is the best for the available room. I'm not being mean, just brutally honest since its been discussed so many times. It does look nice, and for some that's good enough.

There are ways to improve the original design with larger piping, opening the second inlet, improving the design of the airbox, less restrictive intercooler/piping.

Alternatively you could take the $$$ you spent on this CAI and bore the throttle body or port the super charger.

Most importantly, if you keep this design, do you have it adequately supported? The picture shows no supports, it looks like its just resting there. I'd hate for anything to fall apart and get caught in the serpentine belt.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by amanonfire
In front of the passenger wheel there is some room, yet not much air flow. This is why there is no CAI for our cars, the original design is the best for the available room. I'm not being mean, just brutally honest since its been discussed so many times. It does look nice, and for some that's good enough.

There are ways to improve the original design with larger piping, opening the second inlet, improving the design of the airbox, less restrictive intercooler/piping.

Alternatively you could take the $$$ you spent on this CAI and bore the throttle body or port the super charger.

Most importantly, if you keep this design, do you have it adequately supported? The picture shows no supports, it looks like its just resting there. I'd hate for anything to fall apart and get caught in the serpentine belt.
It's still a work in progress. I'm working on some ideas to support it, have any ideas? and eventually I want to make it go to the other inlet also.

I'm not going for performance gains. I like the look and the sound.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e36 318i, 2004 sti
It looked better stock. Just saying imo. I think your performance actually goes down with that..
Old 01-10-2012, 09:14 PM

2006 C55 AMG
Im still toying with ideas for mine. I think the hardest part is obviously the space. I loved the sound when I was driving around with my air intake cover off (supercharger whine was magnificent) So Ive been trying to draw up ways to make it so I can leave the cap off. Alternatively, A great solution would be to have a sideways T piping coming from the air intake box connecting to original air piping going towards the passenger side and the other part of the sideways T pipe connecting to the air passage that is blocked on the driver side. I cant take that piece off though!!
Old 01-10-2012, 09:30 PM

Originally Posted by MBNiko
Im still toying with ideas for mine. I think the hardest part is obviously the space. I loved the sound when I was driving around with my air intake cover off (supercharger whine was magnificent) So Ive been trying to draw up ways to make it so I can leave the cap off. Alternatively, A great solution would be to have a sideways T piping coming from the air intake box connecting to original air piping going towards the passenger side and the other part of the sideways T pipe connecting to the air passage that is blocked on the driver side. I cant take that piece off though!!
Can I remove the intake box? and start the pipe right from there?
Old 01-10-2012, 09:53 PM

2006 C55 AMG
I think I've seen on here that someone did remove the intake box.... If thats the case, where would you place the filter then? Assuming the box is taken off.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:55 PM

I think I've seen on here that someone did remove the intake box.... If thats the case, where would you place the filter then? Assuming the box is taken off.
I eventually want to run two pipes to the inlets and have filters there. so one right there and the one in the same spot its in.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:18 PM

09 335i 03 CLK55 AMG
I have a completely different approach then most of you with intakes. Basically since you car is supercharged, the incoming air is going to be cooled with the intercooler before it goes to the engine. I would focus on volume. To get the most volume would be to just put a cone filter directly on the maf or directly on the throttle body of a supercharged / turbo car. Like I said this is my own opinion...since the air is cooled regardless on turbo / supercharged cars in the intercooler the most important thing for an intake on these cars is to have more volume and less restriction. Since as the air is compressed from the supercharger it gets hotter and loses density and cannot expand as much therefore greater volume will help to compensate. So the higher volume of air will be cooled in the intercooler but you will know that your car will be provided with the maximum compressed air exiting the supercharger before it gets to the intake manifold via the intercooler. Basically you will be providing your supercharger with the maximum amount of hot air which will be cooled by the intercooler regardless and reduce the air temperature therefore making the air more denser going into the combustion chamber making as much power as possible. So the more pipes and more filters the more restriction. Sticking a filter directly on the throttle body or closest to it that you can, whether it be right before the maf or on the throttle body is in my opinion the best. Once you have that, you are bringing in as much air as possible therefore future mods like intercooler upgrade, tune, etc. will have optimal air and give better results. Even if you keep your car stock its probably still the most effective intake. Kind of how people in the 335i world usually go for the DCI intake which is as close as you can get to the engine with the most volume of air with the least restriction even though its hotter air. Basically the increased volume compensates for the hotter air. Obviously on an N/A car I feel completely different that having the coldest air possible is most important because there is no additional cooling from an intercooler and its directly into the engine. I could be completely wrong.

Last edited by AMGJared; 01-10-2012 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-11-2012, 02:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
e36 318i, 2004 sti
Agreed.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:43 PM

2006 C55 AMG
I wonder if we can think of a way to keep the filter open, directly on the MAF? Maybe build a slight heat shield wall on the side of the filter facing the engine? that way the hot air will be reflected off and the filter will still be exposed with the cover off. I really dont like the cover if you couldnt tell! haha
Old 01-11-2012, 05:24 PM

I wonder if we can think of a way to keep the filter open, directly on the MAF? Maybe build a slight heat shield wall on the side of the filter facing the engine? that way the hot air will be reflected off and the filter will still be exposed with the cover off. I really dont like the cover if you couldnt tell! haha
Haha I removed my filter today and drove around a bit without the cover on and it sounded magnificent.. If you find out a way to do it let me know
Old 01-11-2012, 09:01 PM

2006 C55 AMG
you removed your filter?! or you removed the filter cover? I hope you didnt take out your filter! very very risky.. I will start my plans for rigging up a nice set up soon
Old 01-11-2012, 09:19 PM

you removed your filter?! or you removed the filter cover? I hope you didnt take out your filter! very very risky.. I will start my plans for rigging up a nice set up soon
I removed the filter in the box but thats because I have another filter at the end of my intake.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:24 AM

2005 C230 Kompressor
not too sure..but make sure it dosen't ruin you maf sensor without the filter in the box in the long run

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My custom intake