C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Xm/sirius Antenna Placement Sedan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-22-2003, 01:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 C300 SPORT 4MATIC
Xm/sirius Antenna Placement Sedan

Hi folks,

A buddy of mine and I will be installing XM Radio in my C240 4Matic sometime in the next 2 weeks. I have decided to go with the DELPHI SKYFI unit and the clever TAPE-come-AUX-IN mod that's been posted here.

My question is, does anyone know (specially sedan owners with sat radio) how to route and hide the antenna cables from either the back parcel shelf (or the roof) to center console? Do I Just lift the carpeting and hide them underneath? I'm affraid to rip something up in the process... Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Martin-

P.S. Assuming it fits, I'd love to able to place the SKIFY unit in the ashtray compartment.
Attached Thumbnails Xm/sirius Antenna Placement Sedan-skyfi.jpg  
Old 06-22-2003, 02:03 PM

2009 C300 SPORT 4MATIC
If it does not fit in the ashtray, here are other interesting options:

In the event it were not to fit in the ashtray compartment, these 2 pics shows an interesting mounting alternatives (in a 3series, though).
Martin-
Attached Thumbnails Xm/sirius Antenna Placement Sedan-xm1.jpg  
Old 06-23-2003, 08:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 VW GTI
The Delphi car cradle is too bulky to fit in the ashtray without modification.

I stuck the antenna on the center dash grill and routed the wire under the grill and inside the dash down to the ashtray (this was easy because I already had the dash apart to do the Aux-in mod).

In my area the reception drops out going under bridges and sometimes tree-lined roads. The antenna may work better on the roof, but I did a brief experiment and it didn't do much better on my commute.

I hang the Delphi in front of the cubby-hole under the radio. I screwed the car cradle to a block of wood and wedge it into the cubby. No holes, no glue, no cutting, no brackets, & easy to remove. I have a pic posted at csportcoupe.com.
Old 06-23-2003, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Delphi is kind of a oversized obnoxious silver/orange display unless you really want to be able to move it around I wouldn't recommend it. I know since I have both a Delphi and a Pioneer. The Pioneer is very cheap at about $100 for everything you need vs. about $220 for the Delphi (not counting installation or antenna adapters). Also the pioneer looks great in the ashtray and hides out of the way when you don't want to see it.

On the sedan you best bet is to mount it on the roof or trunk lid. I can tell you that on my coupe it's mounted inside and works well most of the time but on the Mustang it's on the trunk lid and it works all the time, even in my garage and under freeway overpasses where the inside antenna cuts out.

Also check out www.xmfan.com and www.clubxm.com