C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Problem With Paint!!! Helpp!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2003, 10:34 PM
Guest0001

Angry Problem With Paint!!! Helpp!!!

i have had my car for about 5 months and there is this clear streaky lines on the sideS of my car and on the rear sides. i noticed this about 2 months ago i thought it would go away. i washed waxed and its still there

i went to my closest dealer and they said it is most probably from the acid tape they put on the cars. so i guess when they took it off there is a ****load of that sticky residue!

now only the dealer i had bought the car from has to take care of it since its not a warranty issue!

i honestly dont want to drive all that way to newport beach for this problem. (fletcher jones)

can anyone tell me how to get rid of this stuff???

i went with my friend to pep boys and we bought some claybars and 3m adhesive wax pealer or something. would that help?

can a regular detail shop fix this? i dont mind paying thats not a problem

thanks!!!

i dont understand how i didnt see this in the beginning! ****

Last edited by Guest0001; 06-23-2003 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:44 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
If its like sticker residue then u can maybe use goo gone. But wax after it. If not the clay should help if u do it the right way. I would wax after that 2.

If nothing else works post it in the detailing fourm and Alboston will help.
Old 06-23-2003, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brabus w203
if it is sticky glue.. i think the best thing to do is to get some 3M adhesive remover.. which will take off the glue... its kinda like Goof Off for windows... but then you would have to wax the area that you just used the adhesive remover on... it should not damage the paint i used it on my car to remove glue type substance.. but it will make the car look a little dull thats why you have to wax and do stuff to the car... hope this helps
Old 06-23-2003, 11:16 PM
Guest0001

thanks for the replys

so its not really necessary to take it to the dealer then?

ya its pretty much the sticky, gluey, clear stuff. you know that stuff they put on the car when the cars brand brand new. its hard to see it thought unless under light.

brabusC- ya thats the stuff i bought, that adhesive remover. my friend will help me out in the process and ya we will probably wax it and stuff.

black230- i bought the clay as well and my friends knows how to do it so i wont have to worry about doing it wrong. i think i will pm alboston also. the reason i didnt put it in the detail section is because there are more people here. so mods please dont move it.

thanks again guys.

if there is anything else tell me
Old 06-23-2003, 11:19 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally posted by noblert10
thanks for the replys

so its not really necessary to take it to the dealer then?

First try doing it your self, it should be quick and easy. If all fails bring it to the dealer.

goodluck
Old 06-23-2003, 11:40 PM
Guest0001

all right i just got a reply from alboston

he said that the claybar and 3M is all i need and if it doesnt work i could buff with a light abrasive

pretty much what my friend recommended and everyone else here recommends. so tomarrow i will try it and i will post and update.

i am also getting my digicam pretty soon so i ll have some pics of of my car FINALLY! shortly

this was a tremendous help as i was freaking out and losing it

you guys are gods
Old 06-24-2003, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
The paint on the car is covered under warranty and if the dealer did not remove the sticky crap then it is up to them to remove it. I would have thought since we all bought an MB that any dealer could have taken care of this for you, but I guess not. So try the 3M and clay and then wax to remove that should remove it. I can not believe the way the dealers do nto want to do things for the MB customer. I thought that was one reason we paid a premium for these vehicles.
Old 06-24-2003, 05:20 PM
Guest0001

well guys i have tried the Clay bar and 3m remover plus i used the cleaner wax from maguires. all of which produced zero results

i am very upset right now. my parents are absolutely furious . we were actually looking for an E class for my mom. but now that idea is gone because now we are considering a lexus for my mom.

its not a big deal for me that much. it will get fixed i know that. but my parents are have zero tolarence for paying this much money for a car and the dealers cant even prepare the car for the customer

i will now take 2 hr drive back and forth the fletcher and see what they have to say. .

ill give you guys another update in a bit

thanks for all the help
Old 06-24-2003, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Like I said paint is under warranty from defect and this sounds like a defect. Tell the dealer you want it fixed as it is a defect. It does not matter what they say, it could be caused by the shipping sticky plastic crap or something else, but it needs to be fixed and they need to pay for it as it should not be that way and it is not the customers responsibility it is the dealers. Tell them this is the last MB product you will buy and never recommend one to anyone you know. Also through in that your parents were considering a Benz and now want a Lexus because of this. Also remember that the survey can always be filled out to reflect this poor way of handling this problem, as well as calling MBUSA.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, it sounds like you've just got lazy inconsiderate dealers. I'd definitely let MBUSA know about those freaks.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:08 PM
Guest0001

mctwin2kman

you are absolutly right.

i just called fletcher jones and i have an apt on monday at 12 pm.
i pretty much let them have it. i will probably buy MBs still, but my dad has always like japanese cars. hes not a car person at all hence he drives mazdas and toyotas even though he can buy porches and benzes. it will probably be our last benz. my parents were so upset that they were going to to lexus and get me a gs300. i dont know will see what happens. ima keep my car though.
Old 06-24-2003, 06:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sounds like you got it all taken care of. I hope it all works out, and you are happy when they are done fixing or repainting the portion of the vehicle that has bad paint. My family used to own a dealership and once in a while you do get a bad paint job from the factory and it was always covered under warranty. The will most likely try to wax, buff, scrub it out and then if that does not work, then need to sand her down and re-paint.