C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Engine stalling

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 02:47 PM
taylor192

Engine stalling

Its been 35C here, very hazy and humid, and last night I had enough of my car.

It stalled more than 10 times, either at idle while stopped at a light, or driving at lower speeds in 1st gear and even while downshifting in slow traffic.

To top all this off, it stalled in the parking garage without warning and without power brakes/steering, I hit a curb, and now have a scratch in my C7 wheels.

Needless to say I am disapointed in the quality of this car currently and am taking it to the dealer to be fixed, along with several other minor things to be tweaked before my first 20K warranty is up.

What I would like is someone to help me with a probable diagnosis of what is wrong with my car so that I don't get screwed by a service tech who says "I can't duplicate your problem, sorry". I've already been told it might be:
1. Bad gas
2. Excess humidity in the gas tank
3. Extra load caused by the AC compressor - which could be the most likely culprit.

I would also like opinions if I should expect the dealership to pay for the damage to my rim, as it was a direct result of the faulty engine, if it can be proven that the engine stalling problem was not just bad gas.
Old 06-25-2003, 03:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 MB C230 coupe
fight em, and fight em hard. get them to fix everything including your wheel. i'd be pissed. my car is acting goofy too (slight irratic idle, hardly noticeable to the average person but i'm picky), but nothing compared to what yours is doing. do everything you can to make it right, but don't stress over it, that only makes things worse. after all, it's just a car right?
Old 06-26-2003, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 K
I also had the satlling problem and the dealer replaced the fuel pump. Runs fine now.
Old 06-27-2003, 07:59 AM
taylor192

Originally posted by truelove
fight em, and fight em hard. get them to fix everything including your wheel. i'd be pissed. my car is acting goofy too (slight irratic idle, hardly noticeable to the average person but i'm picky), but nothing compared to what yours is doing. do everything you can to make it right, but don't stress over it, that only makes things worse. after all, it's just a car right?
I had the slightly irractic idle, and when the AC compressor would turn off, the revs at idle would drop from 900 to about 500-600.

The fuel pump was replaced, in 30 mins too, they must be good at doing this now! The idle seems better, yet still the rev drop with the AC compressor is present, just when the idle drops to 500-600 it doesn't sound as rough as before.

The wheel was not fixed, nor will it be, as I cannot prove that the stall caused it. Its a small scratch along the edge, barely noticable, yet I am still disapointed that they didn't offer to fix it.

I was very impressed by this service appointment though, the speed and efficiency to get it done, and the fact that the service manager was willing to stay beyond the time the service bay closes was also appreciated.