C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Another control arm question(s)..

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C240
Another control arm question(s)..

I just recently purchased two new lower control arms for my 02 c240 and am waiting on them to come in the mail. One of the lower arms is bent and I figured Id get the other side as well just to have two brand news on there. I also purchased new bushings for the upper arms since I hear they go bad regularly and I'm sure, with the mileage on my car, they need to be replaced. I also bought the flute bolts for the lower arms. I have done some research on this forum about replacing the lowers and have found a lot of useful information that I will use when doing this DIY. I do have a few questions though. I have read that after you tighten the bolts so much, you must tighten all the way with the suspension under load, i.e. wheels put back on and on the pavement. Now which bolts must be tighten this way? The flute bolts coming from the inner part of the car or the part that connects to the knuckle on the wheel hub, or both? How would one do this too? I feel like the wheel would be in the way and would be a huge pain to get to, to tighten. I guess turning the wheel will work but just want to make sure. Also, while the car is still on jacks, do I tighten until its just about fully tighten then finish when the cars on the ground? Or should I leave a little play with the nut and lower and then tighten fully? Thanks for the help guys. I will be posting up a DIY on this with pictures since I don't see one in the c-class forums.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
You need to tighten the fluted camber & caster bushing bolts with the suspension loaded.
Old 02-28-2012, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts
'16 E350, gone: '03 c230k
I need to do the control arms too, so need to look into this stuff...

How about tightening the bushing bolts with the front end up on ramps? You'd be fully loaded and have room to get under there. You could lower the car onto the ramps if you don't want to drive it up with the loose bolts.