C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

My Story: The Perfect Storm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 10:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C230 Sport
I definately share your opinions. I was expecting pretty stellar reliability from my Mercedes. So far the light hasn't come back on but some other odd things are starting to happen. Since I had my head unIt replaced the auto close feature of my windows and recirculate button have stopped working. Any ideas on that one? I wonder if they had to disconnect the battery to do the install and. Ow those programs need to be reset.
Old 05-11-2012, 01:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Yeah you'll need to reset the auto windows. Press all the way down till it opens, hold for 5 seconds. Pull all the way up till it closes, hold for 5 seconds.
Old 05-22-2012, 12:21 PM

2006 C230 Sport
-- UPDATE --

I drove the car to Williamsburg VA. on vacation without a single hiccup.. Everything is working great. I never would have guessed that connecting that hose, replacing the air filters, and resetting the codes would have fixed it. I still have the gas smell, but the car appears to be running a lot better.

Does anyone have any idea what that thing is in that photo above?

Thx!
Old 08-04-2012, 10:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 E350, 2006 C350 Sport(made it to 280k, loved it!), 1990 300E
Rare bird

Originally Posted by RedStripe
EDIT:
Typed this as John was typing his response , have edited accordingly. I agree with you John - we both do crave extensive amounts of information, and don't fully understand those who don't otherwise! But you're right, like-personalities do tend to clash... nerd fight! Ha, no - I'm glad we both made amends.

John will chime in Im sure (as he did! oops!) -- but we certainly were not trying to crash your thread, and more than certainly not at each other's throats.

Because your car was manufactured after March of 2006, you have the in-tank filter. This means that your filter is coupled with the (John correct me if Im wrong) fuel level sender. So, this means that the filter/sender assembly IS going to be several hundred dollars. mymercedesparts.com has it for $330 I believe is what I read/posted. If it is separate from the sender - Id hope it'd be cheaper than that. I havent replaced it myself, but John has been in there before.

That ALSO said - it doesn't need to be replaced according to the recommended service interval but once every 10 years or 145,000 miles.
So, yes - the part is that expensive, however you are right to bring up the fact that to replace the seals, you will be in the tank already. Any extra labor charge should be minimized when replacing multiple parts in the same area.

The last thing need be said, is that all of these parts are easy enough for you to fix on your own, and considering the labor charges - even moreso worth your while to do so yourself!
Looks like my vehicle has the in-tank filter as well. Mine was delivered on 11/29/05. I have a rare species. The lady that sold me the car told me so. Of course, I thought it was jazz I was hearing from her
Old 08-04-2012, 04:36 PM

2006 C230 Sport
So the smell may have been from the fuel tank after all, but then again...

In another thread I posed my check engine light woes. It turns out that the no. 6 plug was damaged, loose, and burned the coil boot. Which explains the sometimes rough idle, the sometimes gas smell, the sometimes exhaust smell, and the check engine light... Wow! I did a tune up, reset the codes, and it's been fine ever since. I am finally able to enjoy my car!

Thanks to everyone for the support and commiseration. Did I mention that I replaced the head unit with a pioneer AVH-P8400BH? I may have a few other things I'd like to talk about...