C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

My Story: The Perfect Storm

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 C230 Sport
Red face My Story: The Perfect Storm

Hey all,

I am a total n00b to this site, and to Mercedes-Benz ownership. I thought I would tell you about my experience so far.

Now this may be jaded, but I promise it will be an interesting read.

I am writing this as a means of a coping mechanism. This story is 100% true, and I will not pull any punches...

It all started when I took a trip to Rocky Mount, NC. I drove my 1994 Geo Prism (yes I know but its a good car) and while I was down there the trip meter broke. I started to think about it, and thought that if this thing, which is under no stress at all breaks, how long will it be before something catastrophic happens?

Then on the ride home, to St. Mary's MD, I noticed that the engine was acting funny, and the struts were pretty well shot. So when I got home I talked to my wife and decided that it was time for a new (to me) car.

I drove through some dealerships and was looking for a good price on an Audi A4 when I came across a 2006 C230 Sport. I pulled in and took it for a test drive.

I drove it home to get my wife to go with me. When she got in and pulled the door closed, the passenger door handle broke free of the door. In retrospect, it could have been an omen. She turns to me and says, "what kind of piece of junk did you bring into our driveway?" I said, that's not good, they will have to fix that and we drove off. The test drive was really nice, the car ran great, had a ton of pep compared to my Geo, and ran smooth across the road. Truly a sweet ride. I dropped her off, and we played with the features, then I took it back.

The salesman was waiting for me and when I got out of the car he said, "Is that the ultimate diving machine or what?", I laughed and reminded him that was BMW's deal. He immediately laughed and asked what it would take to put me in the car, so I said for starters you can fix the door handle... I then explained that I was a little disappointed with the interior, I expected more from a Mercedes-Benz. He ran around and looked at it and stated that "they would have to fix that". I replied, "I know."

So we started talking turkey. They wanted 16,975 for the car, I told him I wanted my payments around 230 because it would fit nicely in my budget. He about had a coronary. So he went to work. I talked them all they way down to 13,300 before I left with a written quote.

A few days later he called and I told him I was scraping up the down payment (which I already had reserved). I explained it would take about 3 weeks, which would put it into next month, so he reduced the car another 500. I said let me think about it and get back to you.

I called him back a few hours later and told him to wash it up, I'll come by and get it tonight. SCORE!

I took delivery of the vehicle but the finance guy had left for the evening, so I had to come back the next day to sign everything.

I came by the next day and he apologized stating they had made a mistake on the mileage and I no longer qualified for a 5yr term. They also reduced the car to "strict trade" (12,000) which put my payments around 320. I told him that I had to see if I could shake anything else out of my budget to make that work so he agreed to let me keep the car another day.

Now the reality was that the payments fit in my budget just fine, I just wanted to make sure my wife was also comfortable with the additional expense.

So, then next day I signed the dotted. The finance guy even tossed in a bumper to bumper 1yr warranty for free, SWEET!

I drove the car for a few hours that day and began to notice the smell of raw fuel. I thought, oh man, that's not good. So I drove the car back to the dealership to have it looked at. The salesman greeted me and I showed him the issue, so he said that they had cleaned the engine and had an incident filling my car with gas before I got it. He assured me that it will dissipate and that I should drive it for 3 or 4 days before I bring it in for service.

Seeing my reluctance, he assured me that even though that would put me past the 3 day right of refusal law here in MD, that they would stand behind the deal and fix the issue if one does exist. So, reluctantly I agreed.

I drove the car for a week, and the smell kept getting worse until I could smell it inside the cabin while idling at lights. So, I took it in for service.

During this time, I noticed a couple other things I wanted them to look at. I had a noise in the RR, the passenger side washer nozzle didn't work, and the downshift was harsh from 2nd to 1st in sport mode. So, I made an appointment and they looked at the car.

The Toyota dealership couldn't find the gas smell, though they agreed it was bad, they couldn't fix my washer sprayer nozzle, and they couldn't check my transmission - but hey they fixed the noise in the RR. It turned out to be a bent brake pad anti-rattle clip.

The service writer recommended I take it to the Mercedes-Benz dealership as soon as possible to have that gas smell taken care of, but no worries, the warranty I purchased should cover all that and since there was no major engine issues, I shouldn't even have to pay a deductible. KEWL!

I made the 9:20AM appointment and took a day off from work to go to my closest Mercedes-Benz dealership (1.5 hr drive to Annapolis, MD). True to my expectations the dealership comp'd me a rental (a crappy Dodge Avenger).

Meanwhile, an emergency happened at my job and I wasn't there to take care of it, so my teammates had to pour through my code to figure out a major issue that was preventing us from being able to push a new version of our software to production. FIGURES...

Amid the numerous calls and walking the mall, I was trying to make the best of the situation so I took my family to see the Lorax - dumb movie by the way.

The whole time I am waiting for the dealer to call and tell me to come get my car, I am stressing out about work. I finally called them at 4PM only to leave a voicemail. 4:30PM they called me back to say they had just got my car in and that they needed to keep it overnight.

I realized that I just wasted a whole day in Annapolis when I could have been at work fixing my mistake. GRRR!

They okay'd the rental for another day, and I started the drive home after dropping some coin in the Christian bookshop. We got home in time to vote in our states primary's and grabbed some dinner. I then went to work so I could catch up on my email and try to figure out what had happened in my project that day. I got home around 10:30PM.

That was last night!

So today, I went to work got stuff straightened out and played phone tag with the dealership. At 1:30, I called (again with the phone tag crap), by 2:30 I found myself sitting in the Toyota dealership trying to get to the bottom of why the warranty company didn't have any record of my warranty purchase!! NOW I AM FRUSTRATED!

We worked out that the MB service rep could fax in my warranty contract (sitting in my glovebox) so it could go through underwriting??!! UNBELIEVABLE!! These guys are inept...

Back to work at 3:30. At 4:50 the MB service rep called to say that nothing was covered by my warranty except the fuel tank seals but that it wasn't worth the claim because the cost of the repair was the same as my deductible... WHAT?!

Back to the Toyota dealership at 5:30. The owner is gone as is the finance guy. I spoke with the finance manager, and he went off the deep end - agreeing with me that this was unacceptable. He asked me to email him a copy of the MB estimate so he could try to work something out with the MB dealership. So I called and the MB service rep had gone home for the night... JUST MY LUCK!

So tomorrow, I am going out of town to visit family in PA for Easter. I want to drive my car, plus the rental agreement is for MD only - I can't drive the rental out of state.

I need to call them first thing in the morning (while they are busy checking in more customers) to get a copy of the estimate so I can email it to the finance manager at the Toyota dealer so they can maybe pay for this somehow.

I'll keep you posted on what happens next...
Old 04-04-2012, 09:59 PM
Banned

2010 SLK350
Oh my goodness!
You sir, are a trooper.

Hang in there, sounds like you have at least one important person in your corner. I'm not at all surprised to hear about that warranty they gave you though. Those 3rd party warranties are nothing but junk and a scam for those who actually pay money for them.

Regardless, a 2006 c230 is worth waiting for, especially at the price you secured it at, good job on that by the way! $12,000 is the true value of that particular car, I'm just happy to hear you landed it from a dealer. Buying a used w203 from a non-mercedes dealer does seem to land the best price.

Anyway, you'll find plenty of moral and technical support on this forum any day of the week. Looking forward to seeing this all come to fruition, and eventually see some pictures and praise from proceeding posts of yours regarding your new car and how much you love it. The m272 engine has a special place in my heart!
Old 04-04-2012, 10:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 C230K, 2016 Honda CR-V, '74 Lotus Europa
What an ordeal! I've heard worse, but as RedStripe says, for the most part, those "warranties" are a scam. Hopefully it will cover something for you sometime. You didn't say how many miles it had but if it wasn't excessive, you did well on the price. If you take good care of it, it should take good care of you.

Keep us posted on your soap opera. Hopefully it will end soon and well!
Old 04-04-2012, 11:24 PM

2005 C230
awww man. Good luck hope everything works out for you.
Old 04-05-2012, 08:14 AM

2006 C230 Sport
Thanks for your responses everybody,

Today is the big day. We are packing up the rental and heading up the road to Annapolis to get my car back in a few hours. I need to get ready and call this MB service rep. so I can get a copy of the estimate over to the Toyota dealership.

Not sure what's in store for me today, but I suspect more of the same mud that's already in my eye...
Old 04-05-2012, 10:27 AM

2006 C230 Sport
-- UPDATE --

It looks like the Toyota dealer is going to honor the gas tank seal repair as a reimbursement deal, but I am left out in the cold with a dirty windshield on the passenger side washer sprayer as it was not discussed at time of sale, and it is not considered a safety hazard by MD State Inspection rules.

So I have to cough up the cash for the tank seals 515.00 plus standard MB gouge factor and tax.

I finally got the estimate from the sales rep...

Good morning, John,

Following are the estimates for repair on the C230 you brought in for
service on 4/03/12...

shifter knob (peeling) - $389

cupholder (peeling) - $193

passenger windshield washer nozzle clogged - $225

fuel tank seals - $515

in tank fuel filter (no additional labor) - $540

engine air filters - $156

brake flush - $159

spark plugs replacement - $429

Please let me know if there is anything else that I can help you with.

Thank you,

Kim Savage
Mercedes Benz of Annapolis
Service Dept
I can do everything but the tank seals myself, so no big deal there.

The thing is that no one is available at the Toyota dealer to sign off on the repair cost. FIGURES!

On the other hand my free rental from the dealership just charged my bank account 100.00, so that's a plus... GRRR!!!

I just looked up the fuel filter at advance auto parts website. They sell a beck/arnly filter for 35.00... I can put that in myself through the little window in the back seat... No additional labor my elbow... YIKES!

Gotta go pack up the car and get out of Dodge (literally, what a piece of junk).

More to come I am sure...
Old 04-05-2012, 10:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2014 E350, 2006 C350 Sport(made it to 280k, loved it!), 1990 300E
First of all, way to keep a stiff upper lip throughout all the drama. Secondly, I need a fuel filter(book says around 65k-I am at 91k) What was the Benz dealer gonna charge you for that? $429 for spark plugs? That's highway robbery I know you will DIY on that. My bad. I see the fuel filter cost. Crazy

Last edited by kluvsbenz; 04-05-2012 at 10:37 AM.
Old 04-05-2012, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 795 Likes on 598 Posts
2019 G70 6MT & 2022 Ford Maverick XL
Lots of us order parts from MB of Annapolis on a regular basis because they are behind the website getmercedesparts.com

However, after reading this, I'll be damned if I ever order another thing from them. $540 for a fuel filter?! Dealers are so freakin' stupid and have no shame at all. $429 for plugs? $156 for air filters?

Sigh.. they're the same everywhere.
Old 04-05-2012, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
Lots of us order parts from MB of Annapolis on a regular basis because they are behind the website getmercedesparts.com

However, after reading this, I'll be damned if I ever order another thing from them. $540 for a fuel filter?! Dealers are so freakin' stupid and have no shame at all. $429 for plugs? $156 for air filters?

Sigh.. they're the same everywhere.
I just went on my mercedesparts.com to check the price of a fuel filter for my car. Just for giggles The part is only $46.49. So you gonna tell me the dealer is charging me a little under 500 bucks for labor? Yeah right!!
Old 04-05-2012, 11:40 AM
Banned

2010 SLK350
I was about to panic when I saw the list of repairs you had them quote you for. Obviously you don't want to pay them to do any of that aside from the seals. As for the rest of those parts: eBay, Potomac German Auto, other salvage yards are your best friend. Otherwise, so is a website like mymercedesparts.com

As for the fuel filter -- unfortunately, that's not true
There is a LOT of misinformation regarding the m272's fuel filter out there. It commonly gets sold as a cannister that sits under the floorpan/gas tank accessible via under the car - which is true for earlier w203 models. The m272's is located in the gas tank as you mentioned - however it is conjoined with the fuel level sending unit, making it a very expensive part at over $200.
I found this out the hard way -- 99% of the info you will find on fuel filters here at this site are for 2005 c230s with the m271. The other .9% are m112 engines.

So, unfortunately that filter you looked up is a cannister (and a cheap one at that).
Old 04-05-2012, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I disagree with you. I believe I looked it up on another site and it was no more than 80 bucks. 200 bucks? No way!!
Old 04-05-2012, 12:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by RedStripe
I was about to panic when I saw the list of repairs you had them quote you for. Obviously you don't want to pay them to do any of that aside from the seals. As for the rest of those parts: eBay, Potomac German Auto, other salvage yards are your best friend. Otherwise, so is a website like mymercedesparts.com

As for the fuel filter -- unfortunately, that's not true
There is a LOT of misinformation regarding the m272's fuel filter out there. It commonly gets sold as a cannister that sits under the floorpan/gas tank accessible via under the car - which is true for earlier w203 models. The m272's is located in the gas tank as you mentioned - however it is conjoined with the fuel level sending unit, making it a very expensive part at over $200.
I found this out the hard way -- 99% of the info you will find on fuel filters here at this site are for 2005 c230s with the m271. The other .9% are m112 engines.

So, unfortunately that filter you looked up is a cannister (and a cheap one at that).
Are you telling me that these fuel filters aren't the right ones?
http://www.usautoparts.net/catalog/?...668+11921+9293
Old 04-05-2012, 12:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes-Benz of Annapolis website lists the 06 C350 Fuel Filter in their parts catalog at $66 retail or $49.50 online. I cannot link to it.

MAINTENANCE & LUBRICATION / ENGINE SERVICE / FILTERS / FUEL FILTER
FUEL FILTER C350

MSRP Core ? Online Price
$66.00 $0.00 $49.50
Old 04-05-2012, 12:41 PM
Banned

2010 SLK350
Disagree all you want, I'm just trying to help others learn from my mistake.

No, KLuvs, that is not the right filter. That is the IN-LINE cannister that does NOT fit the m272. I have a Bosch unit just like it sitting in my trunk b/c it's not the right filter.

In fact - you wont find a separate fuel filter listed as again, it's conjoined to the fuel level sending unit.

I'll sell you my Bosch cannister, I need to get rid of it anyway. You can find out for yourself.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:43 PM
Banned

2010 SLK350
http://mymercedesparts.com/parts/200...iagram=5775510

It's #10.
#13 - the part you guys keep referring to over and over again is the old cannister for m271, m112, etc.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

RedStripe is right.. I just remembered Johnand's ordeal with the pump on his 07. There was no canister filter on his car, IIRC. Seems like Benz got cursed for being cheap but come to find out that there was a filter built in to the pump or something of that nature.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...lp-needed.html

This thread offers some insight into the fuel filters on late W203s.
Old 04-05-2012, 12:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

http://mymercedesparts.com/parts/200...iagram=5775510

It's #10.
#13 - the part you guys keep referring to over and over again is the old cannister for m271, m112, etc.
I stand corrected. Thank god I never ordered. So is that $540 dealer price on point?
Old 04-05-2012, 01:12 PM
Banned

2010 SLK350
Yes, yes you do.

#10 AKA Fuel Level Sending Unit shows a price of $273.90 on the link I provided. Not sure where you're getting $540.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LILBENZ230
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...lp-needed.html

This thread offers some insight into the fuel filters on late W203s.
Read the first 3 pages of this thread. Maybe after today I can be an automotive engineer after I get canned for being on the net all day

Anywho, I get it now.
Old 04-05-2012, 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, yes you do.

#10 AKA Fuel Level Sending Unit shows a price of $273.90 on the link I provided. Not sure where you're getting $540.
The $540 I got from the OP on his laundry list of services the dealer wanted to do. AKA-bend over please
Old 04-05-2012, 01:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

In reading Johnands writeup, he said he didn't know how often the filter should be changed. In my manual, they mentioned at 65k. I haven't changed it yet. Now I know i should be ordering the fuel sending unit. MBUSA needs to send out a bulletin on this. Thanks for taking me to school, Red Stripe!!
Old 04-05-2012, 04:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 Mercedes-Benz E350
Originally Posted by kluvsbenz
In reading Johnands writeup, he said he didn't know how often the filter should be changed. In my manual, they mentioned at 65k. I haven't changed it yet. Now I know i should be ordering the fuel sending unit. MBUSA needs to send out a bulletin on this. Thanks for taking me to school, Red Stripe!!
Crap! that means it's time to change my fuel filter! Doh!
Old 04-05-2012, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2010 Mercedes-Benz E350
BTW, what a story JValentine! I hope it gets better, once it does you will love your Benz!
Old 04-05-2012, 05:42 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
I thought only the 07's had the new fuel filter design? He has an 06

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Story: The Perfect Storm