C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

My car getting slower... needs service?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 04:23 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question My car getting slower... needs service?

Okay, I have a 2002 C200K coupe. I’ve noticed for a while now that its losing performance and the acceleration is getting slower (ie from traffic lights).

I’ve been comparing my car with other C200s (sedan and coupes), yesterday I almost had to floor it to catch up with a C200 sedan that I really doubt its driver was pressing on the gas anyway near ¾ (I mean the driver stepped easy on the gas, wasn’t racing me or anything).

The car has 17900 miles on it (2600miles till service B).

I know about the gear adaptive thingy, and I believe that is not the issue.

Also something else… I drive my car for fun. Meaning… my foot is heavy on the gas. I always accelerate fast and things like that.
By the way, I changed the fuel filter about 4000 miles ago (I know, I didn’t have to). But I thought that might increase the car performance.

Thanks.
Old 07-02-2003, 05:01 PM
Banned

all dos ppl reading me tred 'nd no1 2 rpli?
Old 07-02-2003, 05:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally posted by hydra
all dos ppl reading me tred 'nd no1 2 rpli?
What?
Old 07-02-2003, 05:25 PM
Banned

your picture is scary!
Old 07-02-2003, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'19 GLC 300, '19 TM3SR+
your picture is scary!
just as a moderator must be
Old 07-02-2003, 08:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
Re: My car getting slower... needs service?

By the way, I changed the fuel filter about 4000 miles ago (I know, I didn’t have to). But I thought that might increase the car performance.
If the noticed loss of performance occured after replacing the new fuel filter than maybe something related to that is the problem (unless you replaced the filter because of the loss of performance).

- BT
Old 07-02-2003, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
manque de vitesse

Is it really hot where you are?

Forced-induction cars are perceptibly slower in hot weather. I've noticed that with our C 230 K in a recent heat wave. In the winter the car is a rocket. In the heat it is merely very quick.

I'd also suspect you put the fuel filter in backwards, or it's too restrictive for the car (Mercedes OEM part)? No fuel filter should need changing after a few thousand miles or km...unless you fill up at Billy Bob Bo-Dean's gas 'n go.
Old 07-03-2003, 04:42 AM

asdf
Originally posted by revstriker
What?
"All those people reading my thread and no one to reply?"
Old 07-03-2003, 06:52 AM
Banned

Re: Re: My car getting slower... needs service?

Originally posted by trench
If the noticed loss of performance occured after replacing the new fuel filter than maybe something related to that is the problem (unless you replaced the filter because of the loss of performance).

- BT

well, the car was getting slow and thats why I changed it.

Originally posted by Mike T.
Is it really hot where you are?

Forced-induction cars are perceptibly slower in hot weather. I've noticed that with our C 230 K in a recent heat wave. In the winter the car is a rocket. In the heat it is merely very quick.

I'd also suspect you put the fuel filter in backwards, or it's too restrictive for the car (Mercedes OEM part)? No fuel filter should need changing after a few thousand miles or km...unless you fill up at Billy Bob Bo-Dean's gas 'n go.
its really hot over here (usually gets over 50C in summer) but still... if my car is effected by that... then so should ALL the cars around me, right? I mean... that doesn't answer why other C200s are better in acceleration than mine... would it?

and we get sand storms a lot during summer... that could effect the air filter I guess... right? well, I changed that too with the fuel filter.
and still... nothing changed.

weird? heh.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 C230K Sport Coupe, 1986 190E 2.3
You have a supercharged vehicle with an intercooler. If it is too hot outside the intercooler can not cool the intake air charge enough to keep producing the extra power. Cold air compresses more causing more Horsepower produced. Hot air does not compress as well actually causing a power loss. In testing some have found that a 10 Horsepower or more power loss on the older 2.3 Liter engine when the intercooler is heatsoaked. So a Normally Aspirated car will not lose power in the heat, or not as much, where a Forced Induction Engine will lose power due to the heatsoaked intercooler. It is all about efficiency and this intercooler efficient for most conditions but not efficient enough to overcome heatsoaking. Not to mention the fact that if it is hot enough outside I am sure you are using your AC as well and that sucks power away as well. Probably more than the heatsoaked IC does.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:10 AM
Banned

man... some people really know about cars... I envy them :p

well... but still, that doesn't answer my question. heh.

I'm not compering my car with one driven in the UK... I'm compering it with other cars driven on the same street...

I'm not contesting that my car go from 0-60 in 11.5 seconds while the spec. said it can do 0-60 in 9.3 seconds.

what really bugs me is that its just slow that even an old galant or a really really old pick up truck take off faster than my car at traffic lights!

no, there is no problem in the compressor, they checked it at service A.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 K
what really bugs me is that its just slow that even an old galant or a really really old pick up truck take off faster than my car at traffic lights!
Usually these types of vehicle have better low-end gearing, especially pick-up trucks. Your car is better suited for high-speed cruising.

Cheers, BT
Old 07-03-2003, 12:05 PM
Banned

talking about high-speed cruising...
when someone say that, how fast do they mean?

cuz a couple of months ago I drove my car on the highway for a couple of days. I drove at speeds around 160 and 180Km/h. by the end of the week I got check coolant message and the car started to leak. I took it to the garage and they said that a pump (I think the one that pumps coolant) is broke and must be changed.

It costed me around 400 bucks...

So... how fast is fast?
Old 07-03-2003, 04:34 PM
Banned

cough*bump*cough
Old 07-03-2003, 05:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Yes, the heat will kill a car with forced induction, especially when combined with extreme humidity. All my turbocharged/supercharged cars are noticably slower in these conditions. My Eclipse can run anywhere from a high 12 to a low 15 depending on weather conditions
Old 07-03-2003, 05:30 PM
Banned

well, its never humid over here. just hot.
Old 07-06-2003, 04:47 PM

well, its never humid over here. just hot.
Have you compared your car with other supercharged cars? You can't compare it with normally aspirated cars.
Old 07-06-2003, 05:08 PM
Banned

Originally posted by bert
Have you compared your car with other supercharged cars? You can't compare it with normally aspirated cars.
heh, yeah... thats what I kept comparing my car with... I ALWAYS compare my car with C200K. and because there are only few coupes here, I usually compare it with the sadan.
Old 07-06-2003, 05:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
stop....
think....
Get some fuel injector cleaner and add 1 full bottle to a half tank of gas. Run it til the fuel warning appears on the MFD, then continue driving.

(why does this guy remind me of a certain Kuwati that was banned earlier this year?)

Last edited by Rick; 07-07-2003 at 05:47 AM.
Old 07-07-2003, 04:08 AM
Banned

did that, nothing changed. I even used the Ultra Super gas that some Ferraris use it. nothing changed!
Old 07-07-2003, 04:14 AM
Banned

Originally posted by Rick

Get some fuel injector cleaner
I looked for that, there are many types and brands. There is something like Fuel cleaner, and fuel INJECTOR system or something like that. which one? and do I have to get the german one? or the American STP would be fine?

add i full bottle to a half tank of gas.
The dealer told me I that the car should be full before putting the cleaner.
...but most of the people there are stupid, so... I should do it the same way you said it? half tank?

Run it til the fuel warning appears on the MFD, then continue driving.
heh, I'm thick maybe :p
But you meant I should drive my car around till the warning appears and continue to drive? till when? and when should I refuel?

One last question if no one minds...
is it okay to switch between gas types every once in a while?
I want to use that fuel cleaner now, and use the ultra super gas and then after a while (couple of days or weeks) go back to the regular gas I used to use.
so?
Old 07-07-2003, 04:31 AM

C200 Kompressor, S320
Yes, hot weather can make the car slower. The lag will be longer so it will take longer to reach the Kompressor "boiling" range ie. 2500-4500rpm. Once the Komp is boiling, there is not alot of difference.

For your comparison with the other C200K sedan, maybe this car's engine is still cold so I may be faster.
Old 07-07-2003, 06:38 AM
Banned

Originally posted by RD Sport
Yes, hot weather can make the car slower. The lag will be longer so it will take longer to reach the Kompressor "boiling" range ie. 2500-4500rpm. Once the Komp is boiling, there is not alot of difference.

For your comparison with the other C200K sedan, maybe this car's engine is still cold so I may be faster.
and thats probably the answer of something kept bugging me for a long long time now!
every time I start my car in the early morning and drive it feels lighter and faster. but later when I leave college at noon (around 50C) the car feels heavier.

by the way... does that means if a C32 AMG sadan and a BMW M3 wanted to race in a hot weather, the M3 will win? It doesn't have a compressor, right?