C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Steering Wheels Height adjustment stopped working..!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 07:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Correction, Drove An '05 C230 Kompressor SS
Now that I have done this Fix from Beginning to End, I could probably do it again in less then 2 hours.
It feels Soooo Good to accomplish something this major, definitely happy I didn't spend $650+ to have someone else do it.
Old 08-18-2012, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by MountainStone
I also bet you'll need a long pair of needle-nose pliers, but I'll wait to let you tell us what tool(s) you found necessary. Good luck - I'm rooting for ya!
Hahaha, Needle Nose Pliers my ***........
There is No way to get that Dogbone out unless you do all of the steps shown in the two above links.

If anyone of you attempt this, Please feel free to PM me, I can walk you through any issues you may run into.

-Jeff
Old 08-18-2012, 08:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 c320 - 2002 ml55 - 2011 c300 - 2014 slk350 - 2015 cla45
Originally Posted by Outkasted24
Hahaha, Needle Nose Pliers my ***........
There is No way to get that Dogbone out unless you do all of the steps shown in the two above links.

If anyone of you attempt this, Please feel free to PM me, I can walk you through any issues you may run into.

-Jeff
I know what you mean- I did this the other day too.... it was gratifying to fix it myself....

this month here is a list of everything i have fixed...

Rear sun shade- getting stuck up - took apart and re-greased
Left headlamp washer was broken- replaced
windshield washer pump was broken - replaced
Replaced the knobs on my command units
Hardwired my V1
Installed automatic folding mirrors...
easy install- weathertech trunk liner..

My only issue now is the damn SRS light I have on now- I guess I go to the dealer to get this cleared.
Old 08-19-2012, 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by CharlesCarino
I know what you mean- I did this the other day too.... it was gratifying to fix it myself....

this month here is a list of everything i have fixed...

Rear sun shade- getting stuck up - took apart and re-greased
Left headlamp washer was broken- replaced
windshield washer pump was broken - replaced
Replaced the knobs on my command units
Hardwired my V1
Installed automatic folding mirrors...
easy install- weathertech trunk liner..

My only issue now is the damn SRS light I have on now- I guess I go to the dealer to get this cleared.
I'm going through the same thing.
-Drivers Front Window Regulator
-Dogbone replacement in the Steering column.
-rewired and fixed all of the solders inside my TypeS LED tails.
-Hardwired my Garmin GPS and Radar detector
-Fixed the foglight grill after hitting a cat early morning on the way to work.
-Had to have two rims fixed and welded after having bends and cracks appear out of no where. (shopping for new wheels and tires now).
-shopping for a new suspension since two of my shocks are blown.
Old 06-10-2013, 11:37 AM

Received 27 Likes on 23 Posts
2016 C450 AMG, 2005 C230 Kompressor
Attempting to tackle this DIY since my steering column just gave up (up & down) this past weekend. Thanks for the help! Cheers!
Old 06-11-2013, 01:41 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'02 C320 Wagon, '78 308 GTS, '06 Highlander Hybrid
I'm going to have to do this in a couple weeks after I get back from vacation. I hope someone chimes in with the 5 minute fix by the time I get back
Old 05-27-2015, 04:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes W211 E320
Same problem

Hey guys i have the same problem on my W211 2005 E320, did anyone actually try taking their car to a mechanic if so how much did it cost for just the service? Also could it be another issue? I hear the motor running but it won't move up or down. But it moves in and out.
Old 07-19-2015, 11:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
17 E300, 17 C300, 14 C250
Managed to move steering wheel to comfortable position

My son's '05 C320 has had the steering wheel at its lowest position for some time due to the broken part described above.

Looking at the photos, I could access the broken "dogbone" was by removing only the lower panel under the dash.

Despite having to nearly stand on my head, I was able to get one finger onto the broken part and turn it manually. You can figure out which end of the broken part to turn as well as the direction needed by activating the height lever and feeling the other half spin.

I used a bungee cord from the steering wheel to the rear view mirror to relieve the weight of the steering wheel which made the adjustment very easy. It took about 15 minutes to manually raise the wheel halfway where it will now stay forever.

What a difference!

Needless to say, I have deactivated the convenience feature to automatically raise the steering wheel upon enter/exit on my '09 E350 and '13 C250.

Lou
Old 05-15-2017, 04:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts
05 E55, 98 CLK320
Glad I found this thread, it will be useful.

My wheel won't go up all the way but it does move up and down somewhat. Anybody have a clue?
Old 06-10-2018, 01:13 AM

2012 C250 W204 BlueEfficiency Avantgarde
Have a read of this and determine whether this applies to you. I had the same issue with my 2012 C250 Avantgarde [W204] which has the optioned up AMG steering wheel, but with the following history / symptoms:
  • The convenience entry / exit feature has always been selected to 'on' since ownership (2015) and I had never experienced any issues
  • One day, out of the blue, there was no tilt adjustment at all (would not go up and down)
  • Telescopic adjustment was working perfectly (in and out)
  • I noticed that the initial sound for the tilt adjustment was still the same as the initial sound for telescopic adjustment (only for the first second or so - which is kinda like a popping / single knock sound)
  • However, there was no sound which was usually experienced while holding the tilt adjustment lever (on that basis I thought something was shot)
Note: I immediately deactivated the convenience entry / exit feature as mentioned in this thread.

The following steps worked for me:
  1. Using the telescoping adjustment, extend steering wheel out as far as possible (do one cycle in and out)
  2. Using both hands, hold the very top of steering wheel and apply downward pressure (pull steering wheel down towards your knees)
  3. After a second or so, hold the tilt adjustment lever to downward position
After step 3, the tilt adjustment 'kicked in' and started working as normal and had the same usual sound.

I suppose the intent of this post is to see whether this works prior to anything else. Obviously, this would not remedy the broken 'dog bone' aforementioned in this thread if that were the cause.

I am no expert and only a newbie, but I suspect the issue I've experienced relates to wear of a component, therefore I have decided to keep the convenience entry / exit feature deactivated.

Cheers.

Last edited by Nate; 06-10-2018 at 01:31 AM. Reason: Added vehicle model [W204] and minor clarifications
Old 07-27-2018, 04:09 PM

c250
Thank u so much! This works for my c 250 sedan.
Old 08-30-2018, 12:07 AM

2005 clk320 cabriolet
Needle Nose Pliers Access on Dogbone

Originally Posted by FrankW
i don't think you need to remove all that.

i watched my mechanic did this within 5min of getting the cover under the dash off and reach in there to replace the dogbone, but then again he did this numerous times and knows what to look for when he reach in there.
I would kill to know how to access with pliers from bottom. Any chance of talking to your mechanical guru?
Old 08-30-2018, 01:07 AM

2005 clk320 cabriolet
Originally Posted by FrankW
i don't think you need to remove all that.

i watched my mechanic did this within 5min of getting the cover under the dash off and reach in there to replace the dogbone, but then again he did this numerous times and knows what to look for when he reach in there.
please,please, please give me the magic tip to do this without disassembling the entire interior of my car!
Old 11-23-2018, 03:49 PM

2012 C250
C250 Steering Wheel Tilt not working

Originally Posted by Nate
Have a read of this and determine whether this applies to you. I had the same issue with my 2012 C250 Avantgarde [W204] which has the optioned up AMG steering wheel, but with the following history / symptoms:
  • The convenience entry / exit feature has always been selected to 'on' since ownership (2015) and I had never experienced any issues
  • One day, out of the blue, there was no tilt adjustment at all (would not go up and down)
  • I noticed that the initial sound for the tilt adjustment was still the same as the initial sound for telescopic adjustment (only for the first second or so - which is kinda like a popping / single knock sound)
  • However, there was no sound which was usually experienced while holding the tilt adjustment lever (on that basis I thought something was shot)
Note: I immediately deactivated the convenience entry / exit feature as mentioned in this thread.

1. Using the telescoping adjustment, extend steering wheel out as far as possible (do one cycle in and out)
  2. Using both hands, hold the very top of steering wheel and apply downward pressure (pull steering wheel down towards your knees)
After step 3, the tilt adjustment 'kicked in' and started working as normal and had the same usual sound.

I suppose the intent of this post is to see whether this works prior to anything else. Obviously, this would not remedy the broken 'dog bone' aforementioned in this thread if that were the cause.

I am no expert and only a newbie, but I suspect the issue I've experienced relates to wear of a component, therefore I have decided to keep the convenience entry / exit feature deactivated.

Cheers.

Thank you for posting this, the solution worked for me with a slight variance. I had to push up and pull down on the steering wheel while extending it and retracting it, and occasionally try the up/down function. I was about to give up but then it started working.

Some background on this issue for me. I have had the car to the dealer 3 times (in one year) and each time they said they reset the computer and it started working. I was frustrated and asked to speak to a manager who reviewed the issue and said it was likely a motor and software update which I opted to do, and there was no issues for about a year. Then it happened again, this time where I read this posting. I am going to turn off the auto exit feature and see how long it lasts. As an aside, while driving the dealer loaner cars, I have noticed they all had a manual adjustment, this makes me wonder if the automatic motor driven feature was phased out. I drive a 2012 C250.
Old 12-24-2018, 12:00 PM

2011 c300
Fixed wheel tilt!

I took your advice and tilt started working immediately, thank you!
Originally Posted by Nate

Cheers.

Old 12-28-2018, 12:49 AM

2014 cls550
fixed my cls550

I am a newbie to Merc & this forum but I already love em both. I had same situation in '14 cls550. One day it worked n then it didn't, stumbled across this site n read this link till the end & glad I did. I followed the best option (in my opinion anyway) cheap, fast & at 1a.m. out front of my house, bam pulled down on the steering wheel as described above n voila problem solved!!
Now do I leave it engaged or disengaged??? hmmmm
Old 01-19-2019, 07:24 AM

e350
It was a $42 repair in mine, it may not need a new motor!

It may NOT be the motor or a plastic dog bone that many have mentioned, in my 2013 C300 it is simply a cable that overtightens over time, at first I simply heard a click but no movement, then no click. If you unscrew the three screws in the panel under your steering wheel you can see it and probably fix it yourself by loosening the nut. It looked like a strange assembly so I let my excellent mechanic do it and it was easy enough that he charged me $42!!! Avoid the dealer!

Last edited by Centraal; 01-19-2019 at 07:32 AM.
Old 02-24-2019, 09:02 AM

ML350
Originally Posted by Jay Waterman
I am a newbie to Merc & this forum but I already love em both. I had same situation in '14 cls550. One day it worked n then it didn't, stumbled across this site n read this link till the end & glad I did. I followed the best option (in my opinion anyway) cheap, fast & at 1a.m. out front of my house, bam pulled down on the steering wheel as described above n voila problem solved!!
Now do I leave it engaged or disengaged??? hmmmm
This trick just worked for me also. I appreciate everybody's input which allowed me to diagnose and fix the problem. I turned off the Easy Entry/Exit feature, my wife and I are both average sized and having the steering wheel in it's driving location isn't and issue when getting in/out of the car. Besides, all moving parts eventually fail, why make it move when it doesn't need to....
Old 04-06-2020, 04:07 PM

E320 benz
Mercedes benz W210 E320

my steer ring wheel can be adjusted in, out, up nor down. When I press adjustment button no sound comes from the motor or anything just quiet. what could be the problem?
Secondly I have an intermitted problem on the dash board, all the arms are sometimes deflecting the sometime not with the speedo arm like stuck then making some sound and you can see it like its jaking
The following users liked this post:
Hawaii Vince (09-19-2020)
Old 04-19-2020, 05:15 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
2005 c230 kompressor
Originally Posted by Kapekele
my steer ring wheel can be adjusted in, out, up nor down. When I press adjustment button no sound comes from the motor or anything just quiet. what could be the problem?
Secondly I have an intermitted problem on the dash board, all the arms are sometimes deflecting the sometime not with the speedo arm like stuck then making some sound and you can see it like its jaking
someone did an easy video without removing all the components of the dashboard.

https://www.benzworld.org/threads/st...video.3044846/
Old 05-29-2020, 06:18 PM

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
2013 C63 PP
For those with a W204 (or similar age) who came across this thread when searching for help, here's a how to fix the problem with later models.
https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...up-down-4.html
Old 08-27-2020, 02:25 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2003 E320
Great explanation for anyone facing this issue: https://www.youcanic.com/guide/merce...el-wont-adjust