C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Poor acceleration on my c240

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2012, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes c240 2003
Poor acceleration on my c240

Can anyone please shed some light on what could possibly be wrong with my car?
I have a 2003 c240 and I was involved in a front end collision in December (drunk driver ran head on into my car), anyway the insurance company repaired the car over $7,000; but every since then my car has been poor to accelerate between 20mph to 40mph, but get this; it happens only SOME OF THE TIMES! and there's this "grind down" noise along with a "pull" or "jerk" into gears when shifting. I have taken to the Mercedes dealership twice and each time the transmission test shows negative results, there's no engine light, no leaks under the vehicle, there also seems to be no rhyme or reason when this problem happens, it could be the first start of the day, or minutes into driving, cold temp or hot temp outside, it happens only some of the times, but wouldn't you know it when being look at by a Mercedes tech. it doesn't happen. Also my RPM's doesn't seem to rev up when this occurring not sure if that matters or not.

Can anyone shed some light on what it could possibly be so I can ask the tech. to take a look into it.
Old 04-24-2012, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by knapier
... I have taken to the Mercedes dealership twice and each time the transmission test shows negative results,.....
The glycol test?
Old 04-25-2012, 12:49 AM

mercedes c240 2003
Originally Posted by mleskovar
The glycol test?
If you are asking if the dealership tech. did a "gycol test", I'm not sure I had taken it for a diagnostic test twice within 2 weeks. Mercedes shop wants to keep over night and let it sit and test drive it after sitting and through out the day to listen and feel the problem. The tech. says it could be a trans problem that's just not registering on the sensor yet as a engine problem because the problem is not bad enough??? Honestly I think he is clueless or lazy. I don't want to wait for a major problem if I could avoid it I much rather make some Good possible suggestions to him.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by knapier
If you are asking if the dealership tech. did a "gycol test", I'm not sure......
Look on your work order receipt and see if they did the glycol test. Your symptoms may be early indication that the trans fluid is contaminated with glycol. I'm sure you had the radiator replaced with $7K front end damage but perhaps the replacement radiator is faulty. You asked for guesses and that's the only link I can see between front end damage and transmission failure.
Old 04-25-2012, 04:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 131 Likes on 129 Posts
not a merc
lack of power and poor gearchange, first thing a mb tech should know is to check airmass sensor..
Old 04-25-2012, 03:42 PM

mercedes c240 2003
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

Russell@, I was lurking around the internet and I actually saw that the air mass sensor could be faulty so I asked the tech could that be a possibility and the tech said "oh no that's not it...it would have shown up on the scan..." the tech doesn't seem to think that it is accident related, 1st tech says no way its the trans he says if its the trans then problem will continue to occur, 2nd tech says he believes it's the early signs of the trans going bad. I'm going to leave the car overnight and let them try to figure this out, it makes me nervous because I don't have a clue about cars and I don't want to be taken for a ride (no pun intended), I'm working divorce mom.

I figured if you guys gave me a few suggestions to mention; 1. I sound perhaps a "little" bit knowledgeable thus fore saving me from being robbed without a gun. I have been taken advantage of more than once at the mechanic, and I must admit I'm a little bit intimidated by the mechanic.