C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

engine swaps (pure speculation)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C230K Sedan
engine swaps (pure speculation)

There arent that many swaps into out cars (other than the c32 coupe). I read that the ecu is a problem but whats stopping people from doing a standalone?

An lsx or something crazy in my car would be nice

it seems like canbus is a problem too.. could you just run new wires for basic creature comforts?

Last edited by JFarhanbod; 05-03-2012 at 09:19 PM.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL203
Originally Posted by JFarhanbod
There arent that many swaps into out cars (other than the c32 coupe). I read that the ecu is a problem but whats stopping people from doing a standalone?

An lsx or something crazy in my car would be nice

it seems like canbus is a problem too.. could you just run new wires for basic creature comforts?
waavykat did a c32 swap in his sedan... and there is also clk that did the same. i've never heard of putting a different manufacturer in the car though.

i can imagine making the electronics agree would be a pain in the ****.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:30 AM
Moderator Alumni

Received 20 Likes on 7 Posts
w203 m112
m113k. It will fit!
Old 10-03-2012, 07:16 PM

2003 C230K Sedan
bringing this back from the dead, could you use the mercedes canbus for everything minus the engine (windows, sunroof, wipers, etc) and go with a standalone engine management system for the lsx?
Old 10-04-2012, 03:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 E63 Estate | 09 & 10 Rx8 R3
From the research i did if you have a CLK front end you can fit any engine made by Mercedes except the V12 I think.. but the 6.3 and below all fit and you can find the engine mounts and brackets for them np.

You can even mount a C240 6spd manual to a M113 C55 V8 np.. the same goes with the C32 engine. The transmission bolts right up to it. They all use the same flywheel.

Only issues another member on this board was having with the manual swap was the pairing of the clutch and trans with the V8 (clk 500) and not slipping. I think he resolved it with a racing clutch. But I've not checked with him for awhile.

The changes for the ECU can be done by renntech for $800 I think. So regardless of what engine you want to put in. The ecu flash can probably be done by renntech.

I honestly think mercedes are like lego's. You can fit most parts from other cars to other chassis no problem. Its just the computers that F' us and where it makes it difficult.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:00 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'02 C320 Wagon, '78 308 GTS, '06 Highlander Hybrid
I've always wanted to put a C32 motor in my C320 wagon
Old 10-04-2012, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 UFO
Is any motor compatible to go into a 02 C230 Coupe?
Old 10-04-2012, 04:45 PM

I'm not sure about the C230 Coupe but the 01-03 C240 can accept a C55 engine. Just get the engine and the ECU. Both plugin np. So if the C240 is the same.. then yeah.. you should be able to do whatever you want. Its all about the $$ in the end. What do you feel comfortable spending. Plus get on epc and do the parts trail game. You'll start to see that the same parts are used across different models. When you find things the are the same you can start to piece together what will fit.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:15 AM

2003 C230K Sedan
Originally Posted by speed7
From the research i did if you have a CLK front end you can fit any engine made by Mercedes except the V12 I think.. but the 6.3 and below all fit and you can find the engine mounts and brackets for them np.

You can even mount a C240 6spd manual to a M113 C55 V8 np.. the same goes with the C32 engine. The transmission bolts right up to it. They all use the same flywheel.

Only issues another member on this board was having with the manual swap was the pairing of the clutch and trans with the V8 (clk 500) and not slipping. I think he resolved it with a racing clutch. But I've not checked with him for awhile.

The changes for the ECU can be done by renntech for $800 I think. So regardless of what engine you want to put in. The ecu flash can probably be done by renntech.

I honestly think mercedes are like lego's. You can fit most parts from other cars to other chassis no problem. Its just the computers that F' us and where it makes it difficult.
so would renntech be able to flash the ecu for a non mercedes swap? like lets say an ls1 being powered by a standalone. would they be able to flash the canbus so everything else works?
Old 10-05-2012, 12:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
Any engine used in the CLK W209 can be fitted to any W203 chassis.

There are only 2 considerations with respect to the ignition switch.
1/ The switch controls all of the communication.
2/ You cant bypass anything to add a toyota engine or you will need keyless go.

Incidentally, you can add keyless go to any W203. But can you get the correct key ... !!!! Last problem is that you need the compatible instrument cluster, transmission AND differential to go with the transmission module AND ESP to match your engine.

When I say you can add any engine I am also saying to add the ESP, Ignition, Transmission controller and cluster (and in some cases steering lock) to make the correct CANBUS arrangement. If you try to mix 2006 with 2002 you will have many hours of amusement. None of them amusing. Order the matching parts from the VIN of the donor car.

To do your research you can imagine all the functions from the W209. They are a good basis for any sedan or coupe. Beyond this ... you can have a W204 front nose on a W203. You can have W209 nose on a W203. How much do you want to spend to prove a point ?
Old 10-05-2012, 06:21 AM

Sienta
Originally Posted by speed7

I ask honestly if this is confirmed or mere speculation. I ask because for years this swap was wanted by people and the claim is that the AMG ecu goes nuts with the manual transmission causing it to spew error codes like Andrew Dice Clay does profanity on stage (too old a culture reference?). And Renntech doing something like this for that price seems beneath them. I'm not saying that none of the above is true only asking for confirmation because I'd think that someone would already have a C32 SportCoupe or even sedan with a manual tranny by now.

I agree with this, but talk to most MB people and the they talk like MB is only a luxury car maker whose cars/engines are vastly different than anything else on the road despite every ICE being nothing more than a glorified air pump.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by ishigakisensei
I ask honestly if this is confirmed or mere speculation. I ask because for years this swap was wanted by people and the claim is that the AMG ecu goes nuts with the manual transmission causing it to spew error codes like Andrew Dice Clay does profanity on stage (too old a culture reference?). And Renntech doing something like this for that price seems beneath them. I'm not saying that none of the above is true only asking for confirmation because I'd think that someone would already have a C32 SportCoupe or even sedan with a manual tranny by now.
Confirmed... I had talked to renntech in the past and when I was looking to do this conversion to my car. They said they have done it in the past on another C55. Why would it be "beneath" them? They reset the ECU to work with a manual and do a few other tweaks. And then they get "paid" to do so. No performance modifications just the manual transmission programming. If you had the ability to unmask the ecu and do tweaks I'd want to get paid every which way for it. And the $800 to do something like this isn't beneath them... but more like robbing me. That's a LOT of money for a change like this.

Originally Posted by ishigakisensei
I agree with this, but talk to most MB people and the they talk like MB is only a luxury car maker whose cars/engines are vastly different than anything else on the road despite every ICE being nothing more than a glorified air pump.
Most MB people "the consumers" aren't gear head want performance people.. they want the show.. my HID lights and big wheels.

Most MB mechanics don't want to mess with anything because they are setup a certain way out of the factory... and again the electronics on these cars are a nightmare. How many people have issues with their seat heaters and can't get them fixed. Or the horror stories we've heard when the car was jumped and now acting funny... these are just examples off of the top of my head. And I know you know a few as well.

Thats why I say.. yes you can do anything you want to a Mercedes. Its no different than any car. However how much $$ doe you want to spend doing it.

I can have a 6 speed manual in my car. My buddy is an excellent mechanic in San Diego, CA and builds race cars for a living. He said ball park its going to cost me 6k. And I'm betting this is the best friend super discount. But he will get it done. And it will be awhile before I get the car back. Do I want to sink that into my C55... I'm not sure.. and 6k is a lot of money. And truthfully I think it will end up being somewhere around 8k.

One thing you are correct on is that Mercedes is a little special when it comes to their transmissions.. they make them in house. Most companies use getrag or tremmec.. So because of this I think that's why we don't see manuals in the AMG's. The torque we get from our cars was pretty impressive back when they were new. Now not so much.. and I'm wondering now what parts or knowledge we can pull from a dodge that will work with our cars. Lots of the new challengers and chargers have Mercedes design and parts in them. And they do have SRT8's and RT's mated to manual transmissions.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:49 AM

Sienta
Glad to see that I am wrong about the C32 engine with manual transmission. My comment about Renntech stems from when I lived about 4 miles away from them and long story short, I was left with the distinct impression that the C230K was not a car they were interested in developing tuning for. It was not a car for them. A recent trip back to their website confirms this attitude (unless its posted in a non-obvious spot).

Perhaps I am in the minority though, but I just don't have much to say period about Renntech....other than someone finally made it possible to have a manual C32 in a SportCoupe.