C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Ok, I need advice...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-08-2003 | 12:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
Question Ok, I need advice...

I've done a STFF already so PLEASE don't think I'm lazy I want to know your suggestions for re doing my suspension. I think my stock shocks are shot...I dunno yet though. I've only had the H&R's since November too. I'm just worried though about getting the Cupkit and it rubbing when I get the 19's. Ok so what I want to know is which way do I get the most COMFORTABLE ride, not the "best"ride. By that I mean most of you guys seem to like a sporty race kart like feel, while I like a soft, comfortable, smooth ride. Should I just re buy stock shocks and buy Eibach, go w/the H&R cupkit/coilovers, go w/aftermarket shocks/struts??? Any info is greatly appreciated!
Old 07-08-2003 | 01:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you could get teh Kleemann speed sensitive supension if you have the budget for HREs...

combine that with AMG sways, or leave the stock sways...

or you could get the coilovers and adjust them as "not go-kart" like....
Old 07-08-2003 | 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Well, it really depends on your budget. Like "nukblazi" has said, if you can afford the HREs, I am sure you can afford anything. Kleemann Speed Sensitive is a great suggestion. But I doubt your shocks are gone only after 8 months, how many miles have you put on your car with those shocks? Put the stock springs on and take your car back to the dealership and have them check on the shocks. Are still still under warranty???

If you want to get the most COMFORTABLE ride and if you want to change the shocks only, get a set of the Brabus springs. They are very comfortable and can give you solid handling. Or if you want Comfort + Superb Performance, get the Renntech springs. I have never heard any bad things about them. The only good thing about Cup Kit is it can lower your car a lot. It doesnt give your car too much improve in handling (your worries of rubbing might apply in here). I think coilovers will be a bit extreme for you as it will lower your car quite a bit also and for sure it will give you a ride definitely not on the "comfortable" side.
Old 07-08-2003 | 01:51 PM

Audi 80 Quattro (with a couple of modifications)
If you are looking for a smooth ride and not so much a sporty ride I wouldn't go with the 19s. You will get a much better ride quality if you go with 18s and get the same size tire that you were going to put on the 19.
Old 07-08-2003 | 02:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Harris
Well, it really depends on your budget. Like "nukblazi" has said, if you can afford the HREs, I am sure you can afford anything. Kleemann Speed Sensitive is a great suggestion. But I doubt your shocks are gone only after 8 months, how many miles have you put on your car with those shocks? Put the stock springs on and take your car back to the dealership and have them check on the shocks. Are still still under warranty???

If you want to get the most COMFORTABLE ride and if you want to change the shocks only, get a set of the Brabus springs. They are very comfortable and can give you solid handling. Or if you want Comfort + Superb Performance, get the Renntech springs. I have never heard any bad things about them. The only good thing about Cup Kit is it can lower your car a lot. It doesnt give your car too much improve in handling (your worries of rubbing might apply in here). I think coilovers will be a bit extreme for you as it will lower your car quite a bit also and for sure it will give you a ride definitely not on the "comfortable" side.

I would consider putting the stock springs back on and taking it to the dealer, but both dealers I go to "know" my car So to have it replaced under warranty is probably a no go I put like 13-15K miles since November(hmm maybe that could be it!). What is Kleeman speed sensitive and how does it work?

Rowdy Audi, I've had 18's for a while but after getting the 19's on my other car I find my 18's way too small esp since they are a 3 pc. I know I am subjecting myself to a worser ride w/19's but I want to "control" the severity as much as I can for example the suspension.
Old 07-08-2003 | 02:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by enri007
I would consider putting the stock springs back on and taking it to the dealer, but both dealers I go to "know" my car So to have it replaced under warranty is probably a no go I put like 13-15K miles since November(hmm maybe that could be it!). What is Kleeman speed sensitive and how does it work?.....
Well, the dealers know your car is not a big issue, the main issue is how well you KNOW the service manager. If you bring your car to them with stock springs and told them the shocks are shot. I think its tougher for them to prove your H&Rs caused the problem than just simply replacing the shocks for you. If they are under warranty, the dealership will lose nothing, in fact, they make money out of it, they just charge it back to MBUSA. Well, I dont like H&R springs, regardless, I will recommend you to change them!! :p

As far as I know, Kleemann speed sensitive suspension is a set of match springs and shocks, about USD2000, during city driving, your car will handle/feel like stock, but when you're on the freeway or drive aggressively, the shocks will stiffen and the handling will dramatically improved. I am not a Kleemann dealer, better ask Ben for a more detailed explanation. I am just telling what I know....
Old 07-08-2003 | 03:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Sounds interesting. Anybody you know have experience w/these already?

Trending Topics

Old 07-08-2003 | 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
hmm..... Enrique, you can ride in my car on friday when i go down for the show! and you will see if you like the h&R coilovers.

Jerry
Old 07-08-2003 | 03:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Cool

Kewl...Do you have any rubbing problems?
Old 07-08-2003 | 05:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

GL450, Sienna SE
Im thinking about KW Coilovers myself. I heard a lot of good things about them.
Old 07-08-2003 | 05:32 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Originally posted by enri007
I would consider putting the stock springs back on and taking it to the dealer, but both dealers I go to "know" my car So to have it replaced under warranty is probably a no go I put like 13-15K miles since November(hmm maybe that could be it!). What is Kleeman speed sensitive and how does it work?
Enri007-

The KLEEMANN Speed Sensitive suspension consists of a traditional shock/spring setup. Here is what makes it special:

The Springs are progressive rate units. The more the springs are compressed, the stiffer the spring rate becomes. This equates into a very compliant ride, yet provides very good handling when the springs are compressed more in hard cornering. They will lower your car approx. .75" The springs are CNC precision wound, shot peened, phosphate treated, and powder coated. Very high quality.

Our Sport damers use what is called variable valve aperture technology. There are six aluminum discs within the shock housing. Depending on the force and speed at which the shock is compressed, the discs actually rotate within the housing, controlling the stiffness of the shock absorber. The harder and faster the shock is compressed, the stiffer it gets. Again these provide a very compliant ride under normal driving conditions (I know "normal" is a subjective term), yet aggressive handling when you push it.

The springs and shocks are a matched set, but you can purchase them seperatly. I wouldn't recommed using our springs or shocks with other aftermarket components (ie. H&R springs with our shocks). You can safely use the springs with your stock shocks, and shocks with the stock springs. For the best all-around handling/ride, I would recommend getting the set. $2065.00 for the set. Unfortunately, me giving you a testimonial would be slightly bias, so I'll leave that to other members who have our suspension kit if they feel inclined.
Old 07-08-2003 | 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
rubbing? yea... alittle bit, but thats not the suspension's fault though. you will see what i mean! i'll show you friday!

Jerry
Old 07-08-2003 | 05:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This weekend I drove in a Porsche with a variable valve setup that is similar to the Kleemann set. Might even be the technology the Kleemann's are based on.

Unbelievable. Just, out of my budget.

On the street, it drove extremely OEM feeling, on the AutoX course, it was as flat as my ghetto stiff suspension set up.
Old 07-08-2003 | 06:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport
enrique, I think you'll be satisfied with just getting coilovers... once you ride in SilvaC32's car you'll be impressed with the ride...
Old 07-08-2003 | 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I hope so! If not I gotta go and spend 2K+ for the Kleeman suspension...Dang, that's a lot
Old 07-08-2003 | 07:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

It has been recently said that the problem with coilovers is that you'll still not be able to match the spring rate to the dampening.

I can't confirm, but it is being siad.
Old 07-08-2003 | 08:45 PM

C230 Sedan - 6 spd.
Originally posted by SiLvaC32
hmm..... Enrique, you can ride in my car on friday when i go down for the show! and you will see if you like the h&R coilovers.

Jerry
There's a show on Friday? In LA somewhere?
Old 07-08-2003 | 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C32
there will be a show saturaday in Pomona. called extremeautofest...

Jerry
Old 07-08-2003 | 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 C300 Sport
Originally posted by nukblazi
It has been recently said that the problem with coilovers is that you'll still not be able to match the spring rate to the dampening.

I can't confirm, but it is being siad.
Only if you get coilovers that allow you to adjust dampening... H&R coilovers are height adjustable only...
Old 07-09-2003 | 03:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ouch,

When I was looking into coilovers I was told they were compression, rebound, and hieght adjustable.

This is not true?
If it is not true, 1300 beans is an outrageous price for a hieght adjustable modular designed cup-kit.
Old 07-09-2003 | 02:35 PM

C230 Komp Sedan - 2003
Hay Harris,
Could you let us know why you don't like the H&Rs? I have not done anything to my suspension yet but am heavily thinking (almost ordered) H&R cup kits...They seem to give you a good drop, and heard good things about the quality...

I also am going to have my first baby in September...so am little worried if my ride is gonna get too stiff for when the baby/wife are in my car....

Any input regarding people's experience with H&Rs will be appreciated ....also if people have used Eibach...any feedback...thanx
Old 07-09-2003 | 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Keyser_Soze
Hay Harris,
Could you let us know why you don't like the H&Rs? I have not done anything to my suspension yet but am heavily thinking (almost ordered) H&R cup kits...They seem to give you a good drop, and heard good things about the quality...

I also am going to have my first baby in September...so am little worried if my ride is gonna get too stiff for when the baby/wife are in my car....

Any input regarding people's experience with H&Rs will be appreciated ....also if people have used Eibach...any feedback...thanx
The H&R springs and the H&R cup kits are not very forgiving suspensions. They tend to react on every big and small bumps on the road too much. Your car will tend to "hop" around easily. If you're going to have a baby, better stay away from aftermarket springs. If you really want to change it, get the Brabus springs.
Old 07-09-2003 | 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I will tell you right now... DO NOT get the H&Rs with a baby on the way.

Seriously, with a baby coming, DO NOT get just springs and keep the OEM shocks. Maybe the Brabus' are matched to the OEM struts but man.

I get jounced around my car badly enough to NOT be comfortable as an adult! But it handles great, just not family oriented.