C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

"Coolant! Visit Workshop!"

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 07-21-2018, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Mercedes cl550
Coolant warning

Hi
can you link me the solution to this problem? I can't find it here.ive had same prob on my CL55 for months. Tried everything I. Can think of
regards
steve

Originally Posted by zZz
An update to everybody who has exactly the same problem... We finally found what it is... It's a damaged wire in a wiring harness going from the coolant module to the a/c control unit inside or from the coolant module to the computer.
Old 08-24-2018, 03:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2007 C230
It’s 2018 and this problem is still persisting..

same problem as described, fans not turning on when engine gets hot and starts to over heat thus giving a floating thermometer indicator “workshop”

ive read through all the posts since 2012 till now and varies from fan to relay to fuse. One guy said it was related to his fuel pump lol.

Im going to take it to a professional tmrw and post results.

car is 2007 c230 v6 m272 engine
Fan does turn on sometimes when ac button is pressed, but if it over heats or I get that indicator it won’t turn on after pressing AC.
Old 08-24-2018, 08:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 410 Likes on 341 Posts
C320
Old 11-27-2018, 02:58 PM

W211
Hello guys, I have same problem and didn't find how to resolve it.. and I change the new fan and change new box sam fuse front left under hood and the fan on high speed and coolant vista workshop nothing fixed and also I check the 4 wird and clean it but the grean with blue wired have no signal, please help

Last edited by Ramadan Musa; 11-27-2018 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-29-2019, 05:08 PM

E 320
Originally Posted by SteveL1
Lengthy update: Decided to experiement a little today and found out that the coolant fan is not running, but it gets weirder. Started the car this morning and the temp gauge is on zero degrees. Have A/C and vent fans turned off. Drove to work approx 12 miles and no sign of the warning message. Noticed that when the temp gauge got slightly over 80*c, it suddenly dropped a few degrees indicating that the thermostat is working. Temp never got more than slightly over the 80* mark but did not sit in any traffic so the car was always moving.

Went out for a couple of appointments and lunch and started off fine. Drove approx. 10 miles on the highway and no warning light. Temp still right at 80*c. Drive another 15 miles to next appt. and all is fine. Still don't have the A/C on as it's only 79* this morning. Get stuck in some construction traffic and bam, warning light comes on and temp goes up to maybe 85*c while sitting in traffic.

After an hour at the appt., leave and message is gone again and stays gone until I get off the highway and have to sit at a stop light. Within 15 sec. the warning comes back on. What's weird is that during the 20 mile drive this time I had the A/C on and it was blowing ice cold, no warning, temp gauge at 80*, etc. etc.

Get off the highway and once again, warning message comes on and the A/C blower picks up in speed by a few hundred RPM and the ice cold air turns to room temp. Is there something in the computer than automatically cuts out the A/C pump when the coolant temp reaches a certain point?

The plan for tonight is to check the fan motor first by applying voltage directly to it. If it runs, then look for a possible bad relay. After that, I'm lost. Anything else I shoud check before taking to the dealer tomorrow?

Things I've ruled out so far:
- Thermostat -temp gauge drops a few degree right after engine gets to operating temps
- Water pump - if this was bad it would likely be making a noise and the temp would be much higher than 85*c
- A/C refrigerant - Blows ice cold when the warning light is off

Oh, and how easy is it to replace the fan and what should a new one cost? I've read where dealers charge as much as $1200 for a new one and that is just not in the budget. Part #'s and source would be very helpfull.

Thanks!
I ordered a fan online for $230 it works great and was easy to install myself
Old 07-26-2021, 11:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C230
Well let me tell u my adventure .... check engine light comes on so i thought i really knew what was up amd went and got a new temp sensor .... i looked fornthat damn sensor for 3 weeks like a dumbas- i also asked a coupke peopke they didnt know either ... so finally im pissed take the sensor back and get a thermostat finally get it apart in about another 7 days buy like 50 tool sets like a dumbas- spend hundreds of dollars and finally get it on but i cant get the damn belt back on cause i didnt know what the tensioner pulley is .... so i say hell with it and force i on thinking im good start the car the belt flies off so i check it out again and realize i stripped the screw on a pulley somi reach into my ghetto bag of tricks and get everything together and now the check engine light is off but my thermostat see mechanic still displays for some reason andnmy gauge jumped a lil oh and my fan still dont turn on ... any suggestions here my car

The following users liked this post:
Jwyatt5155 (08-14-2021)
Old 07-26-2021, 11:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C230
Where is temp sensor on a 2006 c230 with the m272 engine .... and could the coolant level sensor cause my temp gauge to jump and cause the thermostat see mechanic light to go on .... cause i change my thermostat .. my fan dont go on either .... but i can pay to take it in, but ill do myself free that way i could learn ... its frustrating at times then i tell myself there are more important things in life to worry about so relax
The following users liked this post:
Jwyatt5155 (08-14-2021)
Old 07-27-2021, 12:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 410 Likes on 341 Posts
C320
A+ for the creative punctuation. Good luck getting any responses.
Old 07-27-2021, 02:48 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
07 C280 4matic, 2014 GL450, 91 VW Vanagon
The temp sensor on the M272 is on the back of the left cylinder head just above the crank position sensor on the bellhousing. Good luck getting your fingers on it, let alone a #35 torx on it to get out. I suggest checking the plug and wiring at the radiator fan for corrosion and voltage drop. I had exactly the same symptoms and shot the "parts cannon" at it. Radiator fan, thermostat and temp sensor that I could not get out. Gave up and sent it to the dealer to replace the temp sensor hoping they had special tricks. They called me and said the temp sensors hardly ever, ever, ever go bad and diagnosed the bad wiring. Less than $20 parts and 2 1/2 hours labor at $203 per hour and everything works perfect again. Could have saved myself a lot of swearing if I had just gone there first.
Old 07-31-2021, 02:33 AM

2006 C230
Originally Posted by acetaylor
The temp sensor on the M272 is on the back of the left cylinder head just above the crank position sensor on the bellhousing. Good luck getting your fingers on it, let alone a #35 torx on it to get out. I suggest checking the plug and wiring at the radiator fan for corrosion and voltage drop. I had exactly the same symptoms and shot the "parts cannon" at it. Radiator fan, thermostat and temp sensor that I could not get out. Gave up and sent it to the dealer to replace the temp sensor hoping they had special tricks. They called me and said the temp sensors hardly ever, ever, ever go bad and diagnosed the bad wiring. Less than $20 parts and 2 1/2 hours labor at $203 per hour and everything works perfect again. Could have saved myself a lot of swearing if I had just gone there first.
Thank you for the response, i appreciate it .... i did have a problem about a year ago that i assume had to do with wiring .... everyday when i would leave the house about five miles down the highway at the same exact spot almost everytime, i would feel a small jerk and i would hewr a beep and all my dash lights would light up then go off a couple seconds later .... following that my cruise control wouldnt work the rest of my drive until the next morning usually ..... then it just stopped doin that it has been a few months .... i have nomidea what it was and mechanics i asked to look at it couldnt explain either .... certified mechanics ... again i appreciate the response ... ty ray
Old 07-31-2021, 02:41 AM

2006 C230
I did replace my all of my spark plugs, as well as, all my ignition coils even though they all didnt need to be replaced .... i replaced crankshaft sensor .... my thermostat ... my battery is brand new ... i flushed the coolant system a couple times .... cleared all the filters .... the fan dont turn on is what im working on and coolant see mechanic ... i am also working to fix my key fob they dont work and when i try to replace the fuse it blows right on contact ... short somewhere .... new tires alignment and putting new wheels but those are different that i dont think would cause current problem
Old 03-01-2022, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E200 2002 kompressor
i also have this error coolantvisit workshop . using MBII odb , code i got is p201f-002 it a w211 but i think it has similar architecture with w203.

1. It is intermittent, if you start the car and got the error, error will not go away unless you restart the car. when you restart the car it can be either you have error or no error. if you dont get the error , fan will work.

2. as of the moment , i can replicate the error. condition is car engine is cold, normal temperature in our country is around 30 degree C and up.
a) connect the scanner,
b.) insert key and put to position #2 , dont start
c) check scanner(error will be detected BUT i dont see it in instrument cluster unless i start the car)
d if scanner detects "coolant vist workshop" , p201f-002 , remove the key , go back to b) . if you dont get the error at this point you can start the car without problem, fan will work fine.

im still trying to figure out what is the problem .... anyone have the same experience?