C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

? to Madryan

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 03:13 PM
benzomonterey

? to Madryan

Since your the first person I have seen that used the spare tire how did it work out for you?
Old 02-23-2002, 06:28 PM
jay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 C230K Sports Coupe
Re: ? to Madryan

Originally posted by benzomonterey
Since your the first person I have seen that used the spare tire how did it work out for you?

I realize the question was to Madryan, but I too have had to use the inflatable spare. 3 weeks after purchasing my new coupe, I hit a nasty pothole which ripped the sidewall of the rear, passenger tire. Scared the hell out of me..

Anyway, back to the tire... I was going to call AAA, but the novelty of using the included air pump drove me to break out all the gear, and do it myself. After figuring out the pump (ok, it's not that difficult, but it was dark) I managed to get the tire on and inflated in a matter of about 7 or 8 minutes. The tire inflated a bit awkwardly, as it seems to inflate to one side. Finally, after a while, the other half of the tire popped out, and I was on my way....

After forking out the $130 for the new tire, the service guy at tire-pros told me he struggled for 15 minutes trying to get the INFLATED tire back in it's stowage compartment before another worker showed him the error of his ways.... That must have been a sight. He said he was even contemplating letting the air out of it to get it back in there... Gee, I wonder if that's how the deflated spare idea came about???
Old 02-23-2002, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ok help an ignorant C driver out.... is this whole inflating the spare tire thing coupe specific or for the sedan too..??
Old 02-24-2002, 12:21 AM
jay

2002 C230K Sports Coupe
Originally posted by Fuzzo
ok help an ignorant C driver out.... is this whole inflating the spare tire thing coupe specific or for the sedan too..??
Good question... A friend of mine with a sedan looked at me like I was smoking dope when I told him about it...
Old 02-24-2002, 04:02 PM

2002 C230k
Re: ? to Madryan

Originally posted by benzomonterey
it wasn't bad at all... it was a process just to get the thing on... ex- switching bolts, compressor... but it did not take long.... i bet if i changed it in daylight i would've found the parts quicker...

overall, driving the car of course didn't feel the same... the spare is a little bigger in diameter... since the spare was on the front drivers side, the car pulled slightly to the right...

the scary thing about it is that the tread looks like a slick... i recommend everyone to check out the spare and all it's parts ... this would make life easier in these situations.....

the air compressor works great and is useful... the space saver is exactly what it is a space saver....

benz makes the nicest spare rims i have ever seen... i like the spare better than the factory wheels (16s)...and it's a 15.... luckily, like others, i have the c7s

ryan
Old 02-24-2002, 04:03 PM

2002 C230k
Originally posted by Fuzzo
i think it is coupe specific