C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Is it likely that both failed at the same time?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 09:02 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
'02 C230 Coupe (Me) '03 SLK320 6MT (Wife)
Originally Posted by ayb88
After doing some research, I asked the Service Advice who was a complete jackass why I needed to get the steering lock replaced. His answer was "it's not damaged and doesn't need replacing, but it's a recommended service."

Really? Why not tell me that from the beginning. Anyways, without the steering lock, the part costs $613, but still 6.5 hour labor, which after looking at this forum, i decided that was too much labor to replace the EIS.

So i called around, and found another dealer, located 10 miles north of the initial one that will replace it in 2.5 hours.

He didn't say anything about the steering lock. So now my total comes down to $925 including tax to have my EIS replaced, he said he's not 100% percent sure though if it is in fact the EIS, because he didn't do diagnostics. But since the other dealer already said that it was the EIS, and this Service Adviser was fairly confident that it is the EIS, I just told them to go ahead with it. Let's see what happens.

I think the Service Advisor at Alexandria talked to me more about the issue in the 10-15 minutes then my service advisor in tysons corner did in a whole week.

Based on discussions with the service manager at my favored dealership, you would probably help them out if you put this in writing, and mailed (a physical) letter to the service manager and copied MBUSA or the area rep.

Although based on your experience, I would not be back, he is obviously trying to up the shop bills, and IF they are not trying to do it as a whole at the dealership - you had said you heard good things - then they need to know so they can start building a case to get rid of him.

I know it is effort and you are ready to be done with it, but think if it this was. 1) I could save someone else a hassle, and 2) they could offer you a coupon or something to try to make up for it, and you could always walk into the parts dept and use that for something. Just never, ever see that SA again.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 C240
I might actually do that. It's not a bad idea, perhaps it will save e next person a lot of money.

As far as the coupon is concerned, I think I'm going to sell it after I fix it, it already had 150k miles on it, and it has been very costly over the years.

But thanks for the tip!!

QUOTE=MW_ATL;5229740]Based on discussions with the service manager at my favored dealership, you would probably help them out if you put this in writing, and mailed (a physical) letter to the service manager and copied MBUSA or the area rep.

Although based on your experience, I would not be back, he is obviously trying to up the shop bills, and IF they are not trying to do it as a whole at the dealership - you had said you heard good things - then they need to know so they can start building a case to get rid of him.

I know it is effort and you are ready to be done with it, but think if it this was. 1) I could save someone else a hassle, and 2) they could offer you a coupon or something to try to make up for it, and you could always walk into the parts dept and use that for something. Just never, ever see that SA again. [/QUOTE]