C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
Old 06-15-2015, 02:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine Diagnostics
Print Wikipost

Car randomly shutting off while driving at slow speeds

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 12:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 c55 amg, 99 E36 m3, 2007 FX35
yea i think i'm going o just go ahead and change the secondary fuel pump on the driver side too just to be on the safe side but its just odd the way its been actting. the stall isnt volent it just cuts off too but jerks as the rmps come down when i come to a stop. and the shutter happens when taking off again. but my guess is the previos starvation of fuel to the secodary pump over heated it and damaged it since fuel is a coolant and lubricant for the fuel pumps (why its not good to drive our cars with low levels of fuel too often) but if anyone has a second opinion please let me know i'll be pulling the code tonight when i get home to see what the computer picked up.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:42 PM

2005 c55 amg, 99 E36 m3, 2007 FX35
thats a good thought too i may look into tht as well since mines at 82,000 miles may just do that as a preventative maintinace
Old 11-13-2012, 01:17 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 C230 Sports Coupe, Paprika Metallic Red, Auto, Pano, Leather
BlkOnBlkC55AMG,.... first, get rid of that *K&N drop ins*,... oil from that can mess up your MAF sensor. Clean your MAF sensor with CRC Mass Air Flow Sensor Cleaner and clean throttle with CRC Throttle Body and Air Intake Cleaner. And inspect all you air & vacuum hoses.

Last edited by SunnyRayToronto; 11-13-2012 at 01:24 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 12:19 PM

Mercedes W203 C220 CDI
Engine stalling with ESP, Coolant and Display error messages

@Sunny Ray

I have seen your comments on one of the posts regarding engine stalling where you mentioned about ESP, Coolant, etc error messages. I am having this problem with my Mercedes C220 CDI 2004. Star diagnostic system does not show anything else. Do you think it could be Crankshaft position sensor? I don't get any error related to CPS and the engine restarts right after stall by removing the key and then ignition. Sometimes it takes a couple of minutes of wait.

I have got my ECU tested and it is not faulty.

Any insight?

Thanks and Regards,
Mirza
Old 10-04-2013, 12:34 PM

What are the exact codes from STAR diagnostic system? I'm NOT a mind-reader,.... Are you a woman?,... Just that they tend to think I'm a mind-reader,.....

If you think it might be CPS,... Then change it out,... Search for DIY here,.... Oem CPS is only about $50,..... I'm sure you spend much more than that on a tank of gas,.....
Old 10-04-2013, 12:56 PM

Mercedes W203 C220 CDI
. No I am not a woman

I have attached the fault codes.

Sometimes the engine restarts itself or if I press the accelerator right after engine stalls while still on the move. If I don't do it, then I have to take the key out, wait for a couple of minutes and then restart.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Untitled_20131004_165529_001.pdf (475.1 KB, 603 views)
File Type: pdf
Untitled_20131004_165529_002.pdf (292.6 KB, 455 views)

Last edited by zamirza; 10-04-2013 at 01:00 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by zamirza
. No I am not a woman
Hmmm,.... Double negative,... Says you Are a woman

Anyways,.... Look more like fuel delivery problem,..... Check fuel rail pressure,.... Fuel filter, fuel sender unit and fuel pump,..... Your car is CDI,... I'm not really familiar with those engines,... Since here in North America,... We use real manly gas,..... Burp!

Last edited by SunnyRayToronto; 10-04-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Zamirza, your codes indicate engine controller area network communication problems. You need to hook up a bus analyzer (Star DAS has one) and drop network clients one at a time until you find the bad actor. You will need the WIS to show which modules are on the CAN. It can also be damaged wiring between modules. WIS has some tests to follow, but there is no substitute for a good network tech on the job.
Old 10-05-2013, 11:32 AM

When engine stalls,.... does front radiator fan starts spinning in high mode like a turbine engine? If so, then likely because front radiator fan not getting signal from ECU and fan goes into its default mode.

When ECU was tested,... was ECU taken off the car,... did you shake it? Did it rattle? My troublesome ECU probably would have tested fine too,.... but it had a bad solder at one of the legs of the crystal oscilator that came loose,... so it was a loose electrical connection on the circuit board,.... it was connected 99.99% of the time,.. but when it became disconnected, engine stalled!
Old 10-16-2013, 01:03 PM

Mercedes W203 C220 CDI
SunnyRayToronto, the fan does spin at full speed. I sent the ECU separately for testing.

What I have noticed recently is that the car does not start for few minutes (5-6 minutes) after engine stall. Sometimes the engine stall right after I start it and then I have to wait for few minutes before I could start it again. The ECU is in good shape, no rattling etc. I have tested all the fuses etc in Front SAM.

To me it looks like Crankshaft position sensor failure case. However, my mechanic could not reproduce the fault for two days. He is suggesting to wait for a while till the fault becomes more predictable instead of changing a number of sensors.

Moviela, yes it sounds a good option. So far, I have no luck with diagnostic.
Old 10-16-2013, 03:08 PM

Just change out CPS,.... cheap $50 part,... but a pain to change,...

If it`s a bad solder connection in ECU it will be a pain to diagnose since it comes and goes
Old 02-23-2015, 10:55 PM

2005 c55 amg
I'm having the same problem need help

Originally Posted by blkonblkc55amg
I am having similarproblems as well inmy 06 c55. I;ve relaced the primary fuel pump on the passanger side of the ar already because it was nt sending fuel to the left side of the tank(driver side) i noicedi was having problems first when the fuel level was no moving at all no matter how much driving or fuel as put in and the car stalling when at low speeds. Now this morning oddly enough almost a month after the repair the car stalled on the about a dozen times on the drive to work. All th stalls happened in stop and o traffic at normal operating temp. but what made this time different was after starting the car back up an trying to drive off the car shuttered like it was cutting in and out of power which its never done then the check engine light came on and everytime i was come to a stop the car was jerk real hard downshifting to a stop then stalling again. any thoughts?
. I'm having the same problem need help
Old 03-20-2015, 02:44 AM

C55 AMG
speed 7 my c55 cuts out as well, did it thrice since yesterday.

Speed 7 pls help. i bought the car yesterday and it cut out thrice since then.
Old 03-20-2015, 02:07 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 E63 Estate | 09 & 10 Rx8 R3
Hey alfieC55.. congrats on your purchase! you're going to love the car.

The fix is posted earlier in this thread.

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post5430829

was the CPS that fixed my issue. A $75 dollar part if I recall correctly.
Old 10-16-2015, 08:11 PM

s320
Originally Posted by zamirza
SunnyRayToronto, the fan does spin at full speed. I sent the ECU separately for testing.

What I have noticed recently is that the car does not start for few minutes (5-6 minutes) after engine stall. Sometimes the engine stall right after I start it and then I have to wait for few minutes before I could start it again. The ECU is in good shape, no rattling etc. I have tested all the fuses etc in Front SAM.

To me it looks like Crankshaft position sensor failure case. However, my mechanic could not reproduce the fault for two days. He is suggesting to wait for a while till the fault becomes more predictable instead of changing a number of sensors.

Moviela, yes it sounds a good option. So far, I have no luck with diagnostic.
As a mechanic ur mechanic should know how to back probe each sensor and check it for a .5 v signal wire . Jfyi
Old 01-22-2016, 09:31 AM

E280 CDI
Interestingly my E280CDI over the last 13 months has stalled in exactly the same way as Speed7 describes. Albeit it's done it only 3 times, all at very low speed and generally after making a turn to the right, which maybe coincidental. Fortunately the stalls have all been controllable to date. No on screen fault codes generated, no flashing lights, engine just dies. Once stopped. and the shift set to park, it starts immediately and off I go not knowing when the problem may show again. I obviously need to take in to my local Merc workshop for investigation but owing to the infrequency of the problem being seen, I won't hold my breath for them to spot the fault under normal test conditions, so thanks to Speed7 for the heads up with his issue being fixed by having the CPS changed.
Old 01-22-2016, 01:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 E63 Estate | 09 & 10 Rx8 R3
Originally Posted by Zippy99
Interestingly my E280CDI over the last 13 months has stalled in exactly the same way as Speed7 describes. Albeit it's done it only 3 times, all at very low speed and generally after making a turn to the right, which maybe coincidental. Fortunately the stalls have all been controllable to date. No on screen fault codes generated, no flashing lights, engine just dies. Once stopped. and the shift set to park, it starts immediately and off I go not knowing when the problem may show again. I obviously need to take in to my local Merc workshop for investigation but owing to the infrequency of the problem being seen, I won't hold my breath for them to spot the fault under normal test conditions, so thanks to Speed7 for the heads up with his issue being fixed by having the CPS changed.
Thanks for the props. =) I miss my C55.. don't ever ever ever sell your 203.. they are solid cars.