C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Mercedes Benz South Africa: Response to Faulty Cam Magnet

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2012, 08:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2001 w203 C180
Mercedes Benz South Africa: Response to Faulty Cam Magnet

So i wrote to MB South Africa, asking them why no recall was done on the faulty cam magnet in South Africa. This was there response;

Dear Mr Gounden,

Re: Mercedes-Benz – C200K- 2001

"Thank you for taking the time to bring your concerns to our attention. Mercedes-Benz Cars Division would like to respond as follows:

You quite rightly set high standards when it comes to the quality, reliability and longevity of your Mercedes-Benz. From all the many customers all over the world we know of countless Mercedes-Benz vehicles that have achieved extremely high mileages. All such examples are evidence enough of the proverbial Mercedes-Benz product quality.

However, it would be arrogant of us to claim that our high-quality products generally achieve the maximum mileage values possible. There is no completely safe guarantee of continuous and smooth operation. The vehicle in question did not have a recall campaign from Mercedes-Benz South Africa for a cam sensor/magnet,Mercedes-Benz South Africa did not have reason to recall this specific model,as there never was a problem with the vehicles sold in the South African market.

Therefore it is necessary to point out that during the life span of any vehicle certain maintenance and repair work can become necessary from time to time. The life expectancy of a vehicle or its individual parts or components cannot be predicted as there are too many different factors exerting their influence during the operation of the vehicle.

The natural risk of repair that goes with operating a motor vehicle cannot be transferred solely to the area of responsibility of the manufacturer and for the entire service life of an automobile and its parts.

We trust in having your understanding with regards to the above and wish to assure you of our best attention at all times".

Thank You
Kind regards

Mercedes-Benz South Africa (Pty) Ltd
Customer Escalation Manager
Customer Response Centre
Wierda Road (M10 West/R576), Zwartkop 0046
Old 08-05-2012, 09:13 AM
MBWorld God!

Received 3,399 Likes on 2,844 Posts
2012 CLS63
in other words "the reach around"
Old 08-05-2012, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
They make me sick. This was a worldwide problem. We should ask them why pigtales were made available in SA if there was no problem.

The only thing I can say about the East London plant is that if they find a problem they jump on OE suppliers immediately in an effort to resolve. They don't wait for Germany.
Old 08-05-2012, 10:07 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Write back to them and ask why this part number was made available in South Africa if leaking cam magnets were ~ "as there never was a problem with the vehicles sold in the South African market."

Attach photograph.

Old 08-05-2012, 03:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
They left this paragraph out of the letter:

It is the policy of Daimler AG to not allow realistic margins to dealers in the selling of Mercedes-Benz cars. Our concession to dealers is to allow them to use the service drive to jack up your trousers and rotate you wallet for high profit repairs that by in large cannot be acomplished by independent workshops. Thank you for your continued support of this economic model.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:59 AM

2001 w203 C180
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
They make me sick. This was a worldwide problem. We should ask them why pigtales were made available in SA if there was no problem.

The only thing I can say about the East London plant is that if they find a problem they jump on OE suppliers immediately in an effort to resolve. They don't wait for Germany.
Hey Glyn

Pathetic service is almost guaranteed when dealing with the local market, and we as South Africans, expect less than satisfactory service as we have excepted this as the norm... but one would not have expected pathethic service from MB. Anyway, i did respond to their e-mail (attaching the pig tail pic as well). Awaiting their response. Will post back as soon as i get a response.
Old 08-06-2012, 11:05 AM

2001 w203 C180
Originally Posted by Moviela
They left this paragraph out of the letter:

It is the policy of Daimler AG to not allow realistic margins to dealers in the selling of Mercedes-Benz cars. Our concession to dealers is to allow them to use the service drive to jack up your trousers and rotate you wallet for high profit repairs that by in large cannot be acomplished by independent workshops. Thank you for your continued support of this economic model.
Thats true hey! Last year i bought my second mercedes... guess i was a sucker for punishment... "fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me"