C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Annoying "seat belt" beeps

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2003, 11:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 MB C230 coupe
i don't understand people that want to turn off the beeping. my father-in-law's truck beeps at him about every 2 minutes while driving if he doesn't buckle up. it drives me nutz when i ride with him and he refuses to buckle up. his son (my brother-in-law) told him to just go get a buckle from a junk yard and buckle that in to stop the beeping. WHAT THE!?!??! just buckle the damn thing people!! it's there to save your life, not annoy you. i think the beep should be changed to an audible voice saying "you could die today, you could die today". i just don't get it. i feel naked without my seatbelt on. with the belt on, i feel attached to the car.

the only person i've met who had a legitimate reason to not where a seatbelt is my late grandfather. he had a weak heart (had a quadruple bypass) and even in a fender bender, the pressure of the seatbelt locking up would've killed him. but at least he would put the belt on and put the shoulder strap behind him. he still had the lap belt.

don't complain people, just buckle up. my wife is an EMT and she'd rather not have to see your bloody carcass scraped across the roadway.

Last edited by truelove; 07-24-2003 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-24-2003, 12:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2000 ML320/'03 C320WZ
AMEN, truelove

I am 100% agree what you've just wrote, I been to the situation that seat belt save my life.... believe me , its a long story but SEAT BELT save my life.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:02 PM
moomeh

proper driving procedure is that the first thing you do is buckle up. then turn on the iginition. i know since i got a hundred on my driving exam thanks to all my friends of course who told me or else it is minus 10 points if you do not buckle up first before turning the car on.
Old 07-24-2003, 01:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
09 C63
Truelove...

give your dad a father's day present next year and show him the manual where it shows you how to shut that off. I assume it's a ford?

Peet
Old 07-24-2003, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 MB C230 coupe
Originally posted by peet
Truelove...

give your dad a father's day present next year and show him the manual where it shows you how to shut that off. I assume it's a ford?

Peet
yup, it's a ford. i'd rather not show him how to shut it off though. maybe it'll drive him crazy enough someday so he'll actually buckle up. he IS an in-law but i still don't want to see anything happen to him.
Old 07-26-2003, 11:55 AM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Moderator Note:

For those of you looking for the continuing debate on "accidents being avoidable," I have split the two pages of posts that followed here, and moved this discussion to the Off-Topic Forum, in a new thread, which you can link to here...

Are Accidents Avoidable? Taking Responsibility... Myth or Reality?
Old 12-08-2003, 02:04 PM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 AMG C63S Coupe
So, back to the original question. Has anyone been able to figure out a solution to turn off the annoying beeps? I ALWAYS wear my seat belt, but I NEVER put it on until after I start the car. The beeps are startling, loud, obnoxious, etc., and even after a year I can't get used to them.

Yes, putting the belt on first solves the issue, but I like starting my car first thing so I can give it a few moments to idle before putting it into gear and driving off. There are several things you have to do when getting into your car before driving. 1) sit down into the seat, 2) insert key, 3) start car, 4) close door, 5) wait for steering wheel and seat to go into position (easy entry/exit feature), 6) put on seat belt 7) wait a few moments for proper idle speed (less than 1,000 RPMs), 8) put into gear and drive.

I like to find the most effecient/fastest ways to do something. I find the putting the seat belt on before I start the car wastes time because then I'm sitting there doing nothing while I wait the few moments for the idle speed before driving off.

And please, no more lectures on safety. Bob has been nice enough to point out a different thread for those questions/comments. Thanks.

Last edited by jhillman; 12-09-2003 at 01:12 AM.
Old 12-08-2003, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by truelove
i don't understand people that want to turn off the beeping.

:werd:

Oh, and for the people that want to screw around with the seatbelt buckle wiring:

about 10 months into the then-new car, it developed an airbag malfunction. it was traced to a faulty belt buckle.

so my advise is if you want your airbag working properly, try not to mess around.
Old 12-09-2003, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 Citron Green C230KMT
Buckle the belt before you start the car. you will notice that it will beep until the belt is either buckled or it does it 13 chime thing.