C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C180 Problems, Please Help...!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 06:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180 Avantgarde 2000, SLK 230 Kompressor 1996
Unhappy Display Faulty Visit Workshop, ESP not available...!

Hi everyone,

I am hoping to get some help re problems with my C180 Avantgarde (2000 Model)

I have owned this car since January 2010 and never had any problems with it. As it wasn't the only car in the household (though my favorite), I dont drive it regularly. I simply didn't want to pile on the mileage. Anyway, this summer just gone, I wanted to showcase my car and drive it a bit more. This was when all the problems started.

At first, it wouldnt start first time but would after a few attempts. I didn't think nothing of it and thought perhaps it was the battery playing up. I had it checked and charged up but the problem persisted. I took it into my local garage to have it checked over but as it wasn't reporting any fault codes, my (friend) mechanic thought, perhaps, it might be the plugs, so he changed them and I had the car back.

A few days later, I started the car and again, it wouldn't start first time but after several attempts, it started. I noticed the driving was not as smooth as it has been. Eventually, a couple of faulty codes appeared. After consultation with a few Merc heads, I was adviced to change both the camshaft and the crankshaft position sensors. I did both and the car is still not starting 1st time. Now, I seem to have lost the indicators, wipers and hazard lights.

Also, the following errors keep appearing; visit workshop, display faulty; ESP not available.

I would be more than grateful if someone with the knowledge or perhaps with similar experience would be kind enough to help me diagnose and fix this problem. I am trying to avoid a painful trip to my local mercedes dealership as they've already burnt a hole in my pocket

Perhaps you guys on here would point me or my mechanic in the right direction.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by DreadmanCandy; 10-12-2012 at 07:41 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-12-2012, 07:37 AM

Unhappy

Hi there,

Just thought I'd give you all an update on the situation regarding the problems with my car.

I managed to get a booking with an (not so local) indie. Miraculously, the car started on the day of the appointment so I managed to drive it up to the garage.

I'm still awaiting news on her health so, will keep everyone posted on what the diagnosis is. (Fingers and all else crossed)

In the mean time, thanks to those that read my post and scratched their heads but couldn't comment.

Keep you all posted soon.

Regards

Last edited by DreadmanCandy; 10-12-2012 at 07:39 AM. Reason: edits
Old 11-01-2012, 07:29 AM

Thumbs up Nonstarting C180 W203 Mystery Solved

Hi folks,

Just a heads up to let you know that the mystery has been solved. My baby is back on the road, but a few lessons learned from this experience.

Needless to say, most of the suggestions and recommendations I received from this forum was very helpful in narrowing down the fault zone.

I will post a lengthy diagnosis later , but for now, the resolve included, a new fuel pump and a rear sam unit.

Thanks all and especially to Alex Crow (Legend)

Regards

Last edited by DreadmanCandy; 11-01-2012 at 07:38 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-01-2012, 08:12 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Pleased it's fixed. Fuel pressure & CPS would have been my first two check points.