C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2000 200K clicking noise from dashboard

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2012, 08:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C200K
2000 200K clicking noise from dashboard

Hi all.

I have been reading page up and down for hours now to try to figure out what is the problem with my car.

When I start the engine, for about 1-2min there is a clicking noise from the top of the dashboard.

After what I can figure out by reading/searching this topic, it is a linkage flap motor problem!?!

Does anyone know how and what to replace? How much I need to take a part to get to the flap motor (if that is the problem), and what spareparts I would need to fix this?

Any DIY or other instructions for this particular problem is appreciated!!
PS: I have read about the footwell linkage problem and DIY for it, but is this valid for my problem??

Thanks!!!!!
-Tom
Old 10-05-2012, 09:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
You are in the right track. If it is footwell that will be easier than top vent. Top vent needs the dashboard pulled out.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:11 AM

C200K
oh crap.. So do you know of any DIY for it? And parts perhaps? Is it the motor or only linkage?

-Tom

Last edited by MetZ80; 10-05-2012 at 09:25 AM.
Old 10-05-2012, 08:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
W203 slightly modified
If you want to see the problem before you pull it apart, then take out the radio and insert an inspection camera into the void and see if you can visualise where the broken part is.

I bought one of those boroscope inspection cameras years ago for some small amount of money and I use it on everything from electrical work to car pistons.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Originally Posted by MetZ80
....When I start the engine, for about 1-2min there is a clicking noise from the top of the dashboard....After what I can figure out by reading/searching this topic, it is a linkage flap motor problem!?!

Does anyone know how and what to replace? How much I need to take a part to get to the flap motor (if that is the problem), and what spareparts I would need to fix this?

Any DIY or other instructions for this particular problem is appreciated!!
PS: I have read about the footwell linkage problem and DIY for it, but is this valid for my problem?? ....
Sounds like your footwell linkage. The footwell flaps are programmed to activate at start up and air is blown through them. I'm guessing to clear stale air out of the system. DIY yourself starts at post 18 on this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...g-hissing.html Once you have it apart replace all linkages that are within reach. Sometimes the motors are bad.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 UFO
Where are you located?
Old 10-06-2012, 02:37 AM

C200K
Hey.. I am located in Norway. Going to pull apart the dash one of these days and take a look.

BTW, Does anyone know about the Fuse chart for this car? Is it valid for many models ? I am missing mine and have been looking for a replacement on the web. Found a couople, but some are telling me different Amps on the fuses. Anyone know where to get the EXCACT fuse-map for my car?
Old 03-26-2013, 05:43 PM

C200K
So I finally came around to pick the dash apart to find the broken stepper motor, and swap it out.

It turns out it is the one right above the charcoal filter box (behind the glove compartment).

Anyone have a good way to get to this motor? I was looking on how to "drop" down the charc filter box somehow, but could not find any easy access to this motor.

ALL help and suggestions is appreciated!

-Tom
Old 03-26-2013, 05:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 UFO
So I finally came around to pick the dash apart to find the broken stepper motor, and swap it out.

It turns out it is the one right above the charcoal filter box (behind the glove compartment).

Anyone have a good way to get to this motor? I was looking on how to "drop" down the charc filter box somehow, but could not find any easy access to this motor.

-Tom
Did you take the entire dashboard off?
Old 03-26-2013, 09:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF

-Tom
The only way to access the motors in that area is to remove the top dash. I ended up just disconnecting the ribbon cable from the motor after making sure the fresh air flap was open at least 1/2 way. The passenger defrost flap motor cable connector can be accessed with a long screwdriver as well. Ask me how I know Someone posted an explanation of removing the top dash.
Old 03-27-2013, 07:28 AM

C200K
No, only the center console part and lower dash (glove compartment).

If I am going to remove upper dash, I need to take a part the stearing/driver area to right?

I am leaning to just disconnect it to.. alot of work to get to that motor.
(where to make sure it is open half the way?)

Last edited by MetZ80; 03-27-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Old 03-27-2013, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 UFO
No, only the center console part and lower dash (glove compartment).

If I am going to remove upper dash, I need to take a part the stearing/driver area to right?

I am leaning to just disconnect it to.. alot of work to get to that motor.
(where to make sure it is open half the way?)
Most likely yes and removing the cluster would make it easier along with dropping the steering wheel before you remove the dashboard.
Old 03-27-2013, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
..(where to make sure it is open half the way?)
Remove the air filter above the battery and you'll see the fan blades with a round cylindrical type flap that directs air into it by rotating front to rear.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:16 PM

C200K
The one controlling this flap is not the one malfunctioning.
I have a problem with the M2/9 flap motor (right side defroster flap).

So, I unplugged it, and clicking noise gone. But the flap is in "closed" position, and it will not open at all, it only "clicks". Is there a way to stick something down the opening on top of dash to get it open?

Anyone know how to do this? The location of the flap? straight down? Down and to the left/right? Or something like that?

Thanks for all help this far!
-Tom
Old 03-28-2013, 04:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
The one controlling this flap is not the one malfunctioning.
I have a problem with the M2/9 flap motor (right side defroster flap).

So, I unplugged it, and clicking noise gone. But the flap is in "closed" position, and it will not open at all, it only "clicks". Is there a way to stick something down the opening on top of dash to get it open?

Anyone know how to do this? The location of the flap? straight down? Down and to the left/right? Or something like that?

Thanks for all help this far!
-Tom
I had the same problem and left it closed. Never found a way to open it. I rarely...if ever...used defrost anyway but I left the car out one night to see how only the driver's side would do. It worked fine on the whole windshield with the driver's side clearing quickly and a little longer to clear the passenger side.
Old 03-29-2013, 09:30 AM

C200K
As I am living in a bit colder climate than you I will need at least some hot air to come from the right defroster as well to clear my window. Any suggestion to force it open part of the way?

I tried to jam a wire down the defroster slits (straight down), but I could not feel any flap, or pry it open. There are minimal with air coming out of the right side with defroster turned on at full. Left side is blowing like hell, almost nothing on right side.

So, if anyone know the location of the flap (straight down, left, right), and how to force it open part of the way, I would appreciate the help.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'17 Jaguar XF
As I am living in a bit colder climate than you I will need at least some hot air to come from the right defroster as well to clear my window. Any suggestion to force it open part of the way?.....
I had my car up in Flagstaff Az. at -20F and the defrost worked OK on the whole windshield from the one side and like you say it blows like hell...probably because it's all being directed to that side. I don't believe air exits those vents for anything other than defrost. I couldn't figure out a way to access it. Someone posted how to remove the top dash and they insisted it wasn't that big a deal. After you remove the bottom parts of the dash...then the glove box assembly (6 screws?)...pull out and disconnect the display (real easy)...there's only 6 (if I remember correctly) fasteners holding it in. If you do end up taking out the upper dash replace the recirculation vent motor too as it will now be exposed. The blower motors don't last long as well. Good luck.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:49 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'02 C320 Wagon, '78 308 GTS, '06 Highlander Hybrid
Unfortunately, I think I have the exact same problem...pretty much since buying the car in 2005 with 50k on it the A/C has always been directed to the feet. I started to get the clicking noise about a year ago. I finally decided to tear into this this week. I removed/repositioned the center console, and removed the lower dash...PITA. I found both plastic arms for the footwell flaps broken. Replaced them both and watched them operate. Unfortunately, I still have the clicking which feels like it it coming from the drivers side motor above the footwell one. I'm hoping that my fix will cure the cold feet, but I guess I'm going to live with the clicking...don't want to take off the upper dash.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2013 UFO
Originally Posted by hanknum
Unfortunately, I think I have the exact same problem...pretty much since buying the car in 2005 with 50k on it the A/C has always been directed to the feet. I started to get the clicking noise about a year ago. I finally decided to tear into this this week. I removed/repositioned the center console, and removed the lower dash...PITA. I found both plastic arms for the footwell flaps broken. Replaced them both and watched them operate. Unfortunately, I still have the clicking which feels like it it coming from the drivers side motor above the footwell one. I'm hoping that my fix will cure the cold feet, but I guess I'm going to live with the clicking...don't want to take off the upper dash.
Removing the upper dash is easier than you think. All it is is time consuming. You would have to dedicate a day to it or just pay someone to do it for you.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:50 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
'02 C320 Wagon, '78 308 GTS, '06 Highlander Hybrid
Originally Posted by edgarinho10
Removing the upper dash is easier than you think. All it is is time consuming. You would have to dedicate a day to it or just pay someone to do it for you.
Thanks, but those are the things I'm looking to avoid.