C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

2003 c230 hesitate/sputter on acceleration problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 10:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 mercedes benz c230 coupe
2003 c230 hesitate/sputter on acceleration problem

Hi guys,

This is my first post. I am a new MB owner and have to say I love the car. I bought a 2003 c230 Kompressor coupe 1.8litre 4 cylinder. I've only had the car for six months, purchased it used with 160,000 kms. I have to say the car is in mint condition inside and out and runs smooth until now.

Yes, the car is an automatic transmission with tiptronic -/+ manual feature. I read somewhere that this car has adaptive transmission,... that adapts to your driving pattern. Probably not that though.

The two previous owners took really good care of the car. I have all the service records. The car was always serviced at MB dealer and all the usual maintenance performed regularly. It's a weird problem, it hesitates, sputters and jerks slightly when you drive off from 0kms. It definitely feels like a clogged something that is confusing the fuel delivery to the engine.

If you drive very carefully from 0kms - to 20kms or 1st gear its fine, then when you give more gas from 1st - to 2nd it kind of hesitates/sputters or jerks like a loss of power, but only slightly then it's fine, then when you give it more gas from 2nd - to 3rd it kind of hesitates/sputters or jerks and loses slight power again, then once it's in 3rd or 4th it drives fine with no loss of vacuum or power. On the other hand, if I were to step on the pedel really fast from 0 to 60kms it goes with no problem. It shifts ok.

It feels like the car is confused. At times, it feels as if it dosen't know when or how much fuel to spray into the engine. Maybe the shift of the gears thing is just coincidence.

My first gut feeling is that gas is not being sprayed into the chambers evenly. Like clogged injectors or air/fuel mixture problem. Maybe a misfire.

i checked the service records and the car had a new a air filter, fuel filter and 4 spark plugs changed 1 year before i bought it. i also see that a vent hose was replaced through a recall - cause #2008110003. Also, it has already been in the shop 1 year ago for a misfiring problem or fuel trim problem. the cause was cyl #4 misfire and 2nd exhaust 02 sensor not working.

At first I thought it was the transmission, but it can't be. It has to be fuel/air problem. My first guess was the fuel itself. Maybe cheap gas. I've only put premium 91octane petro canada gas. Maybe its ethanol or water in the gas?

Anyone have any ideas?
Old 11-06-2012, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230K Coupe
check transmission fluid level? Could be a possible leak?