C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

is the C-class Coupe a true mercedes?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2003, 06:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 MB C230 coupe
Originally posted by revstriker
I used to be a truck driver in Germany, so I've driven my share of MB Trucks. They are nice, but they're not the best. My favorite (at the time) was Scania. Volvo also made a very nice LKW. I liked Mann least of all, but I know a lot of drivers really liked them.

This was back in the 80s, so of course, a lot could have changed between now and then.
yes, my co-worker does like the Volvos. him and i went to a truck and bus show once in detroit and the Volvo at the show was the most impressive to him and myself. does Kenworth make good trucks? i think they do don't they? i helped design and implement a prototype HVAC system in a Kenworth last year. seemed like a nice truck.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K Car
Originally posted by truelove
yes, my co-worker does like the Volvos. him and i went to a truck and bus show once in detroit and the Volvo at the show was the most impressive to him and myself. does Kenworth make good trucks? i think they do don't they? i helped design and implement a prototype HVAC system in a Kenworth last year. seemed like a nice truck.
I've only driven two different Volvo's, but they were both very nice. Powerful and comfortable, both in the drivers seat and the sleeping compartment. I suspect that the Volvo's you see here in America are slightly different than the ones in Europe. Different laws on size etc. Because of this, most European trucks are the "Cab-over" types (without noses).

I see Kenworth trucks all the time, but to be honest, I don't know that much about them. I remember reading about Freightliner (made by MB) awhile back, but I have no idea how they all compare.

As I noted above, my information is dated, and much could have changed.
Old 07-28-2003, 06:48 PM
Banned

Buellwinkle their muffins and their car washes both suck. Nothing special about either of those at the dealership. Only thing I like is the fact that I can get a Benz loaner and not some mazda.

The c230 is not a true benz, just a marketing tool. No more no less.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C240's are not real MB's, many are made in Brazil by poor people driven from their native rainforest land due to deforrestion caused by the C240 plant. Is your's made in Brazil? In 2001 the C240 was the bottom of the line car, was it just a marketing tool to bait and switch you into a real MB, the C320?

If their car washes are not good then the same can be said about all the car wash services in the area because I can't tell the difference other than the MB dealer is $12 cheaper per wash. Been going there every week for two full years. A key reason I got the MB was the car washes so they are good enough for me. Come by Saturday morning, I'll show you what a real german made MB looks like.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C230K Coupe/Orion/C4/C5/CD/AMG Spoiler/V60/TeleAid, 2 MGB's
It seems to me that the C240 used to hold the distinction of "not a real Mercedes" as did the 190E and C230K sedan before it. Funny now that the Coupe is low price on the deposit slip, certain people are adamant about expressing IT as the lesser car than the same classification they were faced with when they bought their cars.

BenzOwner02...your demeanor continues to antagonize and diminish this forum. You're obviously just ticked off that we Coupe owners got more power and a better deal than you did.

You, my abhorant adversary, are the weakest link in your own arguments. Good-bye.

Last edited by Rick; 07-28-2003 at 07:38 PM.
Old 07-28-2003, 07:45 PM

what is it with this "true" mercedes idea... just because the c-class is the cheapest/lowest model offered, it doesn't mean it's not a "true" mercedes. i never hear bmw owners saying that the 3 series isn't a "true" bmw even though it's the lowest model bmw offers.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BMW owners have the Mini to cast it's doubt on, MB owners have the A-klass but it's not available in the U.S. yet. I heard this back in 1984 when I got my first MB, a W201 (aka, 190), the "baby benz". The truth is MB has made low cost solutions for many years, not all MB's where or are luxury cars. But it makes some people feel better if their car costs slightly more than another, an insecure person hoping to raise their self esteem by putting down others. It's OK by me, I enjoy the banter and I certainly have no shame or feel like a lesser person owning the least expensive MB, real or imagined. What enjoy the most is jetting by them as they ease their way on down the road. Maybe that's the problem, he only see the back of the coupe most of the time and the fumes are getting to him.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:56 PM
Almost a Member!

2008 Mercedes-Benz C350 Sport
ENOUGH!!!!!

I used to come to this forum to read good, quality info regarding ALL MB vehicles. Now it has turned into Nursery School at The Bowling Alley! End of story is that if it has a Star badge on the front of it, it IS a MERCEDES! Now quit sucking your thumb, STFU, and talk about something useful...

(Yeah, I will probably get flamed for this but I do not give a ****...)

Old 07-28-2003, 08:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
i put more merit into who it's designed by than who it's built by. anyone can put together a mercedes. give me enough time and the right tools and i could do it in a garage shop. but i sure as crap didn't put the time, effort and skill into the engineering of the cars. that's what makes an MB an MB. anyone can build a good car, but the really good ones are well designed.
No you couldn't. Not at the rates needed. And I wouldn't trust your welds. You wouldn't have the build quality, fitment or finish.

All parts of the equation are related. Good build quality is useless when you have crappy manufacturing or a lackluster design.

You'd be astonished what goes into manufacturing and assembly of a car from the ground up.
Old 07-28-2003, 08:58 PM

1988 560SL (Sold)
Originally posted by Buellwinkle
They used to have the best cookies but now it's these freeze dried supermarket special muffins. The cookies came from a real bakery. On a positive note, they are sooo bad I don't eat them so I don't gain weight. They also would have the best brownies, really good, dripping in fudge and caramel. Jeff, Penny are you watching, bring back those brownies and cookies.

Amdeutsch, I said sells at an MB dealer, so if they sold Fords with the 3 point star and gave me the same treatment then it's a Mercedes to me.
Now what's really important is WHO designed those muffins and WHAT company baked them. :p Then, we'll know for sure if they are truly authentic MB Muffins.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 smart cabrio; 2008 Mercedes-Benz B 200
yeah

is there really a car out there with an MB star on it that wasn't touched or designed in any way by MB at all even if it was only an MB supervisor giving the approval and go for the build and design by another company?
Well, sort of. A light commercial. In the 1970s and early 1980s there was a Spanish van company called EBRO (named after the longest river in Spain). Mercedes bought them out in the mid-1980s, slapped a three pointed star on 'em and called 'er good.

Looking further into the mists of history, they did the same with Hanomag-Henschel, bought them out and rebadged their....van as a Mercedes-Benz.

IMO the best Mercedes of them all is the Unimog Off-Road Chassis, U3000-5000L. Marvellous engineering, even if they're no longer made in the deforested bit of the Black Forest at Gaggenau, by natives driven out of the forest by the factory Perhaps they lured the workers there with milk and cookies, like Andy Williams' bear
Old 07-28-2003, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
BMW owners have the Mini to cast it's doubt on, MB owners have the A-klass but it's not available in the U.S.
Despite all the noise BMW is making about 'creating' the new Mini, the truth is 95% of the design was inked before BMW took over.

Its a great little car any way you look at it. Same goes for the C-Class.

BTW, I hate muffins.
Old 07-28-2003, 09:24 PM
MBworld Guru

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
white and whiter

WOW, I never know my car's not a real Mercedes-Benz!?...or a real AMG...

BenzOwner02, if the C230k coupe is not a real Benz, then same goes for your C240. Get a C32 or a E320, if you want a "real" Benz. (this comment is toward none other than BenzOwner02)

Buellwinkle, you should've gotten a Jaguar if you want free car washes. good muffin, and free drinks. Or a Hyundai, since you want better warranty.

with that said, all the C-class model are bacially the same car. They are all built and designed by Mercedes-Benz. Shut up already about which is the real Benz. If you guys are looking for a real Benz, go get one of these 1886 Benz Patent motor car
Old 07-28-2003, 09:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Does your C have a Mercedes Benz logo on it? If yes, then enjoy it. It's a fine automobile. Spend time thinking what mods you should do next then asking this question. :o
Old 07-28-2003, 09:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The Jag X was not available when I got the coupe so it was not an option. I do like the X though but it's out of the running, they don't have free car washes but they do offer fresh coffee in these cute dispensers. But I don't have to own a Jag to partake in the free coffee, so why buy the cow if you can milk it for free. Also, can't get the Hyundai, no free loaners. The real question is, can you really call the C32 a real AMG if it looks like BenzOwner02's C240? That's it, Im getting a Mustang, at least not one person on the Mustang forums has every denied that the Mustang is a true Ford. One more car to wash just so I can own a "real" car
Old 07-28-2003, 09:47 PM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
AMG specifically designed the kompressor V6 for the C-class, so yeah, it's an 'real' AMG. It's just cheaper than other AMG...

Last edited by FrankW; 07-28-2003 at 09:50 PM.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The coupe is not a real Mercedes

It is a high-end Trabant. So, there.:p
Old 07-28-2003, 10:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 C300 4matic
Originally posted by FrankW
If you guys are looking for a real Benz, go get one of these 1886 Benz Patent motor car
Frank, have you seen the brand new replicas they have of this vehicle? My dealer bought one last year. It's pretty neat. We haven't tried to start it yet though. I hear it makes a real mess. It's sitting in a crate right now waiting to go on display in our new showroom.
Old 07-28-2003, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 C230 Coupe(M111)
Re: The coupe is not a real Mercedes

Originally posted by Lynn
It is a high-end Trabant. So, there.:p
Having driven the real thing, that's harsh...
Old 07-28-2003, 11:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Matt230K
Frank, have you seen the brand new replicas they have of this vehicle? My dealer bought one last year. It's pretty neat. We haven't tried to start it yet though. I hear it makes a real mess. It's sitting in a crate right now waiting to go on display in our new showroom.
I saw one about a month and a half ago at a charity car show. The started it and drove it around. It is owned by a local collector who has many high dollar historic Benz's.
Old 07-28-2003, 11:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by FrankW
AMG specifically designed the kompressor V6 for the C-class, so yeah, it's an 'real' AMG. It's just cheaper than other AMG...
Wait a minute, how do we know it wasn't made for the SLK32 and then put on the C as an afterthought?
Old 07-29-2003, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

into things
hahaha some of you guys are losers, some i praise for the good info , and some are really funny.

WTF IS WRONG WITH MUFFINS?????? (I HEAR THAT THE GHEY ALARM WENT OFF )
Old 07-29-2003, 02:45 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Originally posted by Matt230K
yeah, I heard about the replica last year. I remember they were selling to to select few for the price of $50k each or something. top speed 13mph or something. Neat stuff if you really want something original in the automobile word.
Old 07-29-2003, 02:48 AM
MBworld Guru

white and whiter
Wait a minute, how do we know it wasn't made for the SLK32 and then put on the C as an afterthought?
it's easy, AMG said so. And if it's made for the SLk32, that car would've came out to battle the M-roadster a long time ago. Infact, they probably would've used the 4.3 V8 from the C43 since the SLK and the 202 is based on the same platform. SLK only added the 3.2 v6 as an optional engine after 01 the debute of the C-class.
Old 07-29-2003, 03:26 AM
Guest0001

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: is the C-class Coupe a true mercedes?