C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Big problem with CPS. Code P0335 woes and need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 08:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C3
Big problem with CPS. Code P0335 woes and need help

I have a '04 C320 and while driving home Thursday night the car lost all power. I got it to the side of the road and towed home the next day. Here are the symptoms.

Lost all powertrain, electric fine.
Crank, no start.
No error lights, no malfunctions
won't turn over
RPM needle doesn't budge

I rented an OBDII meter and it threw the P0335 code for the Crankshaft Position Sensor. I went and got a new one of these from the parts store and installed it from directions on this site. Same result. Cleared codes and tried again, same result.

Returned CPS thinking faulty, got another one from another dealer and installed. Same result.

At this point I'm concerned and confused. What do I do next? My nearest MB dealership is 60 miles away and I'm stuck without my primary car.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
might have to put it on a STAR to clear other codes
Old 11-26-2012, 10:42 AM

C3
And I assume the only way to do that is to tow it to a dealer?
Old 11-26-2012, 10:52 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 E55 AMG, 06 C55 AMG, 72 350SL
Originally Posted by cyberpvnk
And I assume the only way to do that is to tow it to a dealer?
Yes, or an independent with Star diagnostics.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:53 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 C230 Sports Coupe, Paprika Metallic Red, Auto, Pano, Leather
Or you could push it ;P

Use OEM CPS

Check wiring, fuse, relay,.....

List everything that happens when you try to start,...... do you hear about 10 clicks from engine compartment,.... does front radiator fan goes on in high mode,....
Old 11-26-2012, 11:07 AM

C3
@Sunny

I'm not with the car right now, will answer these when I get home. How would I go about checking the wiring and relay? I'll check the fuse for sure.

Is a OEM CPS a common fix? I just hate to spend an extra $100 for what's basically a magnet in plastic.
Old 11-26-2012, 01:12 PM

If you can't figure out how to check wiring,.... then just take it to the someone who knows,...

Relays and fuse can also be easily checked,.... get fuse-relay map and figure out which are suspect, check them or at least switch them out with good ones,..

Why would anyone put in a generic part and wonder why it fails,.... as soon as you buy a generic part you already wasting money, the quality just isn't the same as Mercedes/OEM. I know nothing about generic CPS,... and thus I won't be of assistance to you. You already found the main CPS thread,... see my photo there of my 10 year old CPS vs the new generic CPS that already has corrosion problem.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:12 PM

C3
Originally Posted by SunnyRayToronto
Why would anyone put in a generic part and wonder why it fails,.... as soon as you buy a generic part you already wasting money, the quality just isn't the same as Mercedes/OEM. I know nothing about generic CPS,... and thus I won't be of assistance to you. You already found the main CPS thread,... see my photo there of my 10 year old CPS vs the new generic CPS that already has corrosion problem.
This is just wrong. I don't want to insult your MB knowledge, but in general I've had extremely positive results with generic parts for the last 20 years on my luxury cars and lower end models as well. Do you only accept name brand pharmaceuticals or is generic medicine ok? I understand this argument for many components but not for one like this. Especially since non OEM parts and mods are all over this forum with seemingly excellent results.

The non OEM one I pulled out was Bosch and it showed no corrosion, neither did either of the new ones. I will go to the dealership today and buy a MB CPS and I'll be super excited an redact my statement if that fixes the issue.

To say you can't be of help because of a generic part being used seems like a cop out. I appreciate the assistance thus far and will get it to a mechanic.
Old 11-26-2012, 02:36 PM

CyberPvnk,.... first of all you are not entitled to my help,... so get rid of any sense of entitlement you have.

Now, I've been on these boards long enough,..... go through my history of post and you'll find lots of helpful post and advice to others,.... Personally, I'm just sick and tired of troubleshooting generic parts that don't work,.... maybe someone else will help you,... but I've been down that road way too many times,... and I just don't want to waste my time troubleshooting a generic part I know nothing about,...

If you suspect its the generic part at fault, call the help support line for the generic part and see if they'll be of assistance,....
Old 11-26-2012, 03:03 PM

C3
I don't expect or feel entitled to your help. You gave it freely and then made a decision that the generic part was at fault. I was merely disagreeing.

To clear things up I *don't* feel the generic part it at fault. I think my car needs a proverbial kick in the **** and it'll be fine. Let's assume this...lets assume that I go today and buy an OEM CPS in the card AND learn how to prove my wiring is ok, then what would you suggest?

And helping people in the past is great, online communities thrive on it, but I was more interested in other possible causes than blaming a generic part.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:27 PM

Another great thing about this online community,.... is the SEARCH feature,... there's been a lot posted about CPS and no-start conditions,... both from me and countless other members. These cars are about 10 years old and there's lots of post here on lots of problems. If you want to know what I would suggest,... search for it.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:38 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 c230 kompressor 2003 s500 94 wrangler
i thought their are 2 crank sensors on the v6?

ya if the part isnt bosch or mercedes its not going to work
Old 11-26-2012, 03:49 PM

C3
Originally Posted by SunnyRayToronto
Another great thing about this online community,.... is the SEARCH feature,... there's been a lot posted about CPS and no-start conditions,... both from me and countless other members. These cars are about 10 years old and there's lots of post here on lots of problems. If you want to know what I would suggest,... search for it.

I was waiting for this. I'm actually surprised it took this long.

I DID search for this and read probably 60 pages on this condition, multiple DIY CPS threads on this board and others and I seem to be very much in the minority. The vast majority of people, most of whom buy their CPS at Autohausz, put it in and turn the key and everything works fine.

I'll continue to search, try real parts and the like.
Old 11-26-2012, 03:51 PM

C3
Originally Posted by sammydragon3
i thought their are 2 crank sensors on the v6?

ya if the part isnt bosch or mercedes its not going to work

I'm getting an OEM one this afternoon. I think there is a Camshaft and Crankshaft sensor but I haven't really thought about replacing the camshaft sensor. About 99% of what I read says it's the cranshaft one as well as the OBDII code.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 c230 kompressor 2003 s500 94 wrangler
i didnt say camshaft

i remember someone yelling at me here saying their are 2 crank sensors on v6
Old 11-26-2012, 04:43 PM

C3
Originally Posted by sammydragon3
i didnt say camshaft

i remember someone yelling at me here saying their are 2 crank sensors on v6
Understood. Just relaying what I've read and seen on the forum. I haven't read anything that suggest a second crankshaft sensor, maybe someone with more knowledge than me can chime in.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
V12TT
sounds like fly wheel is rusted out probably
Old 05-03-2019, 01:29 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
b5 a4
I know this is an old thread but i am having the same issue on my c32. I replaced with a new bosch part but it still won't start and keeps throwing a cps code. I checked my scantool and it does indeed show engine speed while cranking. Why!!!!?????