C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

C230 Sedan single-fin sport grille

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 04:17 PM

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
2005 c230SS
C230 Sedan single-fin sport grille

I found this on eBay, new from LA distributor. I was looking for a sportier look, single fin with black mesh backing.

I can't say that I'm thrilled with this one though. I think it's a bit too modern/agressive for the style and color of the car. Maybe it would look better against a solid color. I would prefer a slightly less prominent star and a flush front (this one sticks out over an inch).

I'll leave it on for a couple more weeks to see if it grows on me, otherwise I'll put the stock grille back on, sell this one and keep looking.

And a before/after comparison:

If you know of any other single-fin grilles out there please post links.

Likewise if you really like the look of this one and would like to get one, PM me and I'll let you know if/when I sell it.

Thanks. John

Last edited by jkowtko; 12-19-2012 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 03:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks a bit cheap for my tastes. I think the star is just too big for the size of the grille opening on the W203's. Since the W203 benzes are getting older and less expensive, and people are sticking chrome stuff all over their cars nowadays, I believe that less is more when it comes to exterior mods on these cars.
I hated the stock grille, so I got a flat black grille about 2 months ago, and I like it so much I'm afraid I'm about to go around painting every other cars grilles black
C230 Sedan single-fin sport grille-uz3se.jpg
Old 12-20-2012, 11:46 AM

Received 56 Likes on 55 Posts
2005 c230SS
I think the all black grille looks fine on a black car ... I think it would be too much black against a lighter color though, would need some chrome in there to provide a balance.

My biggest issue with the stock grille is the thick chrome border ... if there was a C55 version of this grille I think it would be an easy improvement.

Ideally I would like to see a grille that uses the same mesh material from the lower part of the bumper, one fin and a smaller star, all recessed back a bit rather than sticking out. Maybe an optional thin chrome trim border.

... So after two days the stock grille is back on :| Oh well -- it was worth a try considering the lack of reference photos available. If anyone is interested in the sport grille please PM.

Thanks. John

Last edited by jkowtko; 12-20-2012 at 01:34 PM.
Old 12-20-2012, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 c240
I was thinking of putting that same grille(single chrome fin) on my silver c240, but when I photoshopped it on it just looked.... really out of place. I think with a light-colored car, the grille would have to be chrome or matching paint color. I PS'ed a 4-fin silver with chrome tips and it looked a lot better than the 1-fin.
What i'm really looking for is a 3 or 4 chrome fin with no giant star on it...but I can't find 1.