C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

teleaid and GPS tracking question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-28-2002, 06:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
teleaid and GPS tracking question

So is it correct to assume that if my car gets stolen and that I have subscribed to tele-aid, then there is a very good chance my car will be found?

The next question I have is, who is goign to use this tracking device to get the car back? IS MB goign to work with the police?

The reason I am asking is because over in the CLK forum, a 2001 CLK was stolen and no one has found it.

Tele Aid uses Global Positioning System (GPS) satellites to pinpoint the current location of your car, plus a cellular link to provide 24-hour contact with Mercedes-Benz for emergency aid (SOS button), information (i-button) or Roadside Assistance (wrench button). Automatic Collision Notification engages SOS function if an air bag or ETR deploys. Automatic Alarm Notification alerts Mercedes-Benz to contact you if the antitheft alarm is set off. Tele Aid also includes stolen vehicle tracking, and remote keyless
Old 02-28-2002, 06:29 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Re: teleaid and GPS tracking question

Originally posted by Fuzzo
So is it correct to assume that if my car gets stolen and that I have subscribed to tele-aid, then there is a very good chance my car will be found?

The next question I have is, who is goign to use this tracking device to get the car back? IS MB goign to work with the police?

Tracking is ONLY possible when the car is on ! So if your vehicle gets stolen and it hit's the chop shop before you notice it is gone and file a police report (which is required for MBUSA to work with your local law enforcement on the tracking), you will be out of luck.
Old 02-28-2002, 06:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

that's crazy..so i guess the best way to steal a new MB is to just tow it away...that's probably what happened to the guy with the CLK......
Old 02-28-2002, 06:55 PM
Almost a Member!

C240
The last time I forgot my keys in the trunk, and called MB for help. They opened the doors remotely. How did they know where my car was?
Old 02-28-2002, 07:11 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by Andy
The last time I forgot my keys in the trunk, and called MB for help. They opened the doors remotely. How did they know where my car was?
The Door Unlock feature is accomplised by the cellular portion of Teli Aid. Upon your call, the Teli-Aid customer service rep enters into the system a Door Unlock command. Then when you hold the trunk button in, your vehicle actually places a cellular call to the Teli-Aid center. If the computer at the teli-aid center has the correct verification entered, the teli-aid center 'tells' your vehicle through the cellular phone call to unlock the doors.

It is as simple as that. They do not know where your car is when you use the unlock feature. Keep in mind as well, if you are in an area with no cellular coverage, the door unlock feature will not work.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
Where did you get the information that the car has to be on for the GPS to work? I have talked to Teleaid twice and they pinpointed me both times with the car off.
Old 02-28-2002, 07:43 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by mleskovar
Where did you get the information that the car has to be on for the GPS to work? I have talked to Teleaid twice and they pinpointed me both times with the car off.
I said, "Tracking is ONLY possible when the car is on". This is the information I was given when inquiring about the "Tracking" feature of teli-aid. Actually the MBUSA rep told me the vehicle had to actually be running for the system to function in the tracking mode. MBUSA does not divulge too much about this feature for obvious reasons.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
2008 BMW M6, 2008 Ducati 1098, 2008 Ducati Monster S2R1000, 1971 Ducati Scrambler
When I asked my dealer about it, they told me they the same information that Adam has given... They also said they can give you its last known position.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:19 PM
Admin Alumni

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts
See Garage
Originally posted by awiner

The Door Unlock feature is accomplised by the cellular portion of Teli Aid. Upon your call, the Teli-Aid customer service rep enters into the system a Door Unlock command. Then when you hold the trunk button in, your vehicle actually places a cellular call to the Teli-Aid center.
Adam, the C-Class Trunk has a horizontal Release Handle and a round keyhole to the left of the release. The keyhole is fixed in place and can't be "pushed in." When I called the Tele-aid operator to unlock mine, she told me to push the button... there ain't one.

I operated and held the release lever, but no joy. Ms Teleaid told me to call MB to dispatch a repair trunk to jimmy my locks. No thank you. Thankfully I had my keys in my hand and I was simply performing a test on my April production 2001 to see if the early production remote unlocking problems had been fixed. It's on my list for the dealer to fix.

BTW, you say the system works off the cellular... but I don't have the optional cell phone package. The car did place a call to tele-aid when I registered the car (as required when you pick up the car) so I assume there's a "hidden" cellular setup in the car that places the call, not to be confused with a need for any optional package. Right?
Old 02-28-2002, 08:28 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by MB-BOB

BTW, you say the system works off the cellular... but I don't have the optional cell phone package. The car did place a call to tele-aid when I registered the car (as required when you pick up the car) so I assume there's a "hidden" cellular setup in the car that places the call, not to be confused with a need for any optional package. Right?
That is correct. Tele-Aid has it's own analog cellular system complete with redundant antenna's totally independent of the optional K2/K2a cell phone packages.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:36 PM
Super Moderator

2003 CL55 AMG
I just spoke a clinet rep at MBUSA that put me in touch with someone familiar with the telemetrics operations and use. The gentleman I was speaking with DID confirm that, "The engine has to be running for vehicle tracking to work".
Old 02-28-2002, 09:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for clearing this up Adam

in the meantime, don't forget to get the additional discount insurance companies will give for having your own tracking device...they took off $40 fo rme... hey it's worth a shot right...
Old 02-28-2002, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 148 Likes on 132 Posts
'17 Jaguar XF
I just walked out to the car and pushed Teleaid, then "I", then the wrench. Nothing happened. I had to have my key in and on when I used it before. Mea culpa. So that's why they have the tilt/towing alarm. Not a solution that gives me a warm fuzzy. With the complexity of the key towing is the obvious next theft choice, but not an easy one.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:30 AM

05 E500
Further inquiry on Tele-aid tracking...

Informative thread on the Tele-aid tracking. This triggers some additional intrigue. Some further questions I would have (for the forum in general and Adam in particular) that I would like to pose here:

So, overall, for ANY tracking or electronic assistance for the car, the vehicle has to be on and running and be Tele-aid equipped? Would this also suggest then that one would have to have a current active subscription to Tele-aid for this function to work correctly in mechanical terms (or could the car be tracked even without one having active membership - this is not a question about whether MB would be willing to cooperate without subscription - instead its only a question about if the mechanism would still work whatsoever on MB's part should THEY require it for themselves), say in the case of a police or fire emergency, etc.?

What I'm getting at is this... Can MB track the location of this car at any time (running/key in/membership) notwithstanding if THEY wanted to?

For instance, if one had need to be discrete (a celebrity, witness protection, undercover, unlawful owner or someone looking to evade police or repossession, or even extramarital affairs, etc., etc.), should MB wish to track one of their cars (say if they were subpoenaed), can they do this at their simple will?

Or, do the same technical rules still apply those restrictions (Tele-aid equipped, subscribed, key in, engine on, etc.) in all situations regardless of their interests to overrule these functions?

This is to say that I'm curious as to whether these cars are akin to an airliner's "black box" (or to GM's on-board tracking system used to offset their culpability in the event of a crash) or any other "homing beckon" like devise.

If MB wanted to find my car while it was parked miles away at a wilderness skiing retreat, etc., could they simply start asking computers to pinpoint the location should they have need or interest in doing this? Could this be translated as a compromising of one's personal space and privacy, or, given those aforementioned conditions (car on/key in) would this remain strictly a safety and security mechanism for the owner and no more, no matter what?

Hope you can follow my question. I will reiterate or clarify if not.

Thanks a mint.
Old 09-01-2006, 05:37 AM

05 E500
Further inquiry on Tele-aid tracking...

Informative thread on the Tele-aid tracking. This triggers some additional intrigue. Some further questions I would have (for the forum in general and Adam in particular) that I would like to pose here:

So, overall, for ANY tracking or electronic assistance for the car, the vehicle has to be on and running and be Tele-aid equipped? Would this also suggest then that one would have to have a current active subscription to Tele-aid for this function to work correctly in mechanical terms (or could the car be tracked even without one having active membership - this is not a question about whether MB would be willing to cooperate without subscription - instead its only a question about if the mechanism would still work whatsoever on MB's part should THEY require it for themselves), say in the case of a police or fire emergency, etc.?

What I'm getting at is this... Can MB track the location of this car at any time (running/key in/membership) notwithstanding if THEY wanted to?

For instance, if one had need to be discrete (a celebrity, witness protection, undercover, unlawful owner or someone looking to evade police or repossession, or even extramarital affairs, etc., etc.), should MB wish to track one of their cars (say if they were subpoenaed), can they do this at their simple will?

Or, do the same technical rules still apply those restrictions (Tele-aid equipped, subscribed, key in, engine on, etc.) in all situations regardless of their interests to overrule these functions?

This is to say that I'm curious as to whether these cars are akin to an airliner's "black box" (or to GM's on-board tracking system used to offset their culpability in the event of a crash) or any other "homing beckon" like devise.

If MB wanted to find my car while it was parked miles away at a wilderness skiing retreat, etc., could they simply start asking computers to pinpoint the location should they have need or interest in doing this? Could this be translated as a compromising of one's personal space and privacy, or, given those aforementioned conditions (car on/key in) would this remain strictly a safety and security mechanism for the owner and no more, no matter what?

Hope you can follow my question. I will reiterate or clarify if not.

Thanks a mint.