C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Timing Chain keeps jumping when rotated by hand.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-11-2013, 10:42 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
C230K Sedan
Timing Chain keeps jumping when rotated by hand.

Stuck on this last part.... The block is rebuilt and the chain is back on. Everything seem to be aligned correctly and chain back on. Attempt after attempt, I rotate the chain by hand to make sure the timing makes a full complete rotation. Before it makes one rotation it jumps teeth on the intake side cams. Anyone have a clue why it keeps jumping teeth? I do notice the cam teeth are a bit dull? I'm just trying to play it safe before I actually put the starter back on and crank it up with the risk of bending the valves again. smh.
Old 01-12-2013, 01:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2009 ML350, 2007 GL450, 1963 GMC, BMW 325i
That sounds a little odd.
Without knowing the extent of the work you've done I'll ask some dumb questions. Not trying to be a d!ck, just starting with the easy stuff.

Do you have the right chain? Did you compare the old one with the new one(depending on the install method)?
Did you replace the guides if they were removed or replaced?
Is the tensioner in place?
Everything has been tighented and torqued back down?
Cams are seated properly in the cam beds?
I remember having to move mine a little and push them in place to seat them down. If the rear part of one of the cams isn't seated properly it could lower the sprocket just a little giving a little slack.

What method did you use to feed the new chain in?
Old 01-12-2013, 03:28 PM

C230K Sedan
Originally Posted by Hogger
That sounds a little odd.
Without knowing the extent of the work you've done I'll ask some dumb questions. Not trying to be a d!ck, just starting with the easy stuff.

Do you have the right chain? Did you compare the old one with the new one(depending on the install method)?
Did you replace the guides if they were removed or replaced?
Is the tensioner in place?
Everything has been tighented and torqued back down?
Cams are seated properly in the cam beds?
I remember having to move mine a little and push them in place to seat them down. If the rear part of one of the cams isn't seated properly it could lower the sprocket just a little giving a little slack.

What method did you use to feed the new chain in?
I compare the old vs new chain, it never stretched... was the same exact length, all the guides has been replaced, everything is tightened back down with new bolts. I will check the cams if they are seated properly tonight. New tensioner replaced as well. I replaced just about everything.. just trying to get everything back on properly.
Old 01-12-2013, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C180 W203
Can only instruct on a 271 engine. If both cam drive sprockets are tightend then should align correctly. Align all the timing marks and the tightest part of the chain should be the intake sprocket to the crank drive opposite the timing chain adjuster which should be checked and torqued down.
Old 01-13-2013, 03:40 AM

c320
Is the motor seized and the chain is jumping because youre pushing too hard or is it just jumping right away?
Old 01-14-2013, 09:34 PM

C230K Sedan
I got it.. I got it to rotate...the whole time it was just not lined up right. The markings on the cams was weiRd... I put everything back on and its all running now. My engine is finally rebuilt and working again...
Old 01-15-2013, 10:48 AM

2009 ML350, 2007 GL450, 1963 GMC, BMW 325i
Excellent! Good job.