C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Comand Question - Aftermarket NAV

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 10:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 C230 Sport Sedan
Comand Question - Aftermarket NAV

I am thinking about having a Comand System installed when Steve comes over to the states and have a question that hopefully a current Comand owner can answer.

I do a good deal of driving between Philadelphia and North New Jersey and New York. It appears that the CD based comand system separates the regions right through the middle of NJ. Since travel between say Phila and NY crosses two regions (CD's) can the system actually calculate a route? How much of a hassle is it travel between regions? Which I would be doing a good bit.

I'm starting to have serious 2nd thoughts about getting the Comand System and am wondering if a DVD based unit might be a better choice.

Has anyone installed a DVD Based Nav system? (None MB). I'm looking at the Pioneer System which appears to be outstanding from a features standpoint.

Thoughts? Hate hanging Steve out and want to make a decision ASAP.

Appreciate the opinions.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:18 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
You might be better off asking this in the W208 section...I installed way more comands in CLKs then in W203s when I was in the NY/NJ area...

greetingz,
Old 08-07-2003, 08:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
SLS AMG | S65 AMG | GL550
I have Pioneer's 7" Screen and DVD Based Navi.

The older version, mine, plays DVD through the Navi as well, the newest version does not.

Anyway, Pioneer makes the best Navi system.

Available TouchScreen.
It talks.
You can talk to it.
Gives Map, Signal, or 3-D HUD view or a combination of 2 of these at once.

If you are looking to have this installed in NJ, send me and e-mail I will hook you up with a place that has done the install before, and they did a good job.

Erik
Attached Thumbnails Comand Question - Aftermarket NAV-coupenavi03.jpg  
Old 08-07-2003, 01:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 C230 Sport Sedan
Thanks. Looks nice!

I think I am going to go with the Pioneer NAV-SYS910D system.

I'm just not hearing good things about the Comand unit, especially with cross region navigation and now with Steve not making it to the US my decision is a bit easier.

Where in NJ is the shop? Do they sell the NAV units or just installs? I have seen the Pioneer units on ebay for $1900 or less.

Was considering taking a crack at installing it myself but if the price is right I would for sure avoid the headache.