C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Whining Noise

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 02:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 C320
I am not sure if anyone is still checking up on this thread, but just going to keep posting I suppose until I come to a conclusion.

I have read many times over that W203's do not have a clutch. I kept thinking this cannot be my AC Compressor considering my AC works perfect. However, I came across a thread, albeit for a different car, but here is a quote

FYI, a noise that STOPS when AC is turned off, is the compressor. If it keeps going regardless of AC ON or OFF its the clutch bearing.
That is from this website: http://www.odyclub.com/forums/9-odyc...bearing-2.html Where I have found many more pieces of info that have been helpful.

So anyways, I also have read that the Pulleys are not sold by Mercedes, whatsoever. I did come across a website, although sketchy, that seems to be selling the pulley for the AC compressor.

http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/58...lutch_for.html

$10, can't lose much! I found an AC shop in Jacksonville that I will be heading to next week. I'll keep you all informed!

Thanks
Old 03-08-2013, 03:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
Don't trust that site it's just a generic site. If you post any part for any car that site comes up.
Old 03-09-2013, 05:27 PM

2004 C320
Hey all, going to post the conclusion (not really, but I will stop researching)

I took it to NAS JAX, which has free garages and tools for military folk. A mechanic was there, who seems to have tons of experience due to his old age. I told him I was very inexperienced and told him the rundown of what happened, and he told me to take off the belt. Couldn't really figure it out so he came over and basically did it all for me.

I have read DIYs on here saying you need a screw to get the belt off, but he just pulled that sucker off. He spun each pulley, and seemed to be most fascinated in the water pump. I did notice that the tensioner was moving quite a bit when he was trying to get the belt off, but is this due to the tensioner being an automatic adjuster? He did say that he thought it was the tensioner pulley before hearing the car with the belt on.

So he put the belt back on, and then asked me to start the car. Right when it started he thought it was power steering pump from the noise and asked me to turn the wheels. Although it didn't make any change in noise, he still thinks it is this. He opened the reservoir (I am assuming he expected it to be low) but it was all the way to the top. He asked if AC makes a difference with the noise when I turn it on, and I answered No and that the AC is working perfectly.

So I left the garage with the power steering pump in my mind. I suppose this is the conclusion. He says I can ride around with it like that forever, which is what I will probably do. It doesn't affect my driving at all, so I see no need in throwing the money there.

Thank you all for the help!
Old 03-11-2013, 04:24 PM

2004 C320
Originally Posted by Ler56oy
Go to LKQ and get a used compressor.
It's probably not the compressor.
Old 12-14-2021, 10:20 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
07 GL450
So the stuff that I bought thinking it was some spray I could use on the hose connections and maybe on the outside of the reservoir turned out to be just stuff you put inside like the bar's leaks but it was way more expensive, so that turned out to be a waste of 20 bucks, but my 2 bottles of bar's leaks which were way cheaper come in tomorrow. I'll try running that through, people say good things about it, hopefully it jams up any leakage, and i can use my little extractor pump to empty the power steering back out and fill it up with pentosin fluid and hopefully it will get me through the winter, and I can replace the parts in the spring. I'll let you guys know the day after tomorrow how things go.