C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Very strange issue after fuel pump replacement

Old 02-27-2013, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C230 Sport Sedan 7-speed
Very strange issue after fuel pump replacement

My car started dieing. I thought it was the CPS because it was just replaced a short while ago. It would turn off and wouldnt start for a short time. I took to the last guy who replaced my CPS. He said it was the fuel pump that when bad on the right side, the one that takes gas to the motor. He would tap on the pump and it would start then die. So I asked him to replace just that one because the other may still be functional and it was lot cheaper to just replace the faulty one instead of doing both.

Since the replacement, the check Engine light has been coming on. The code that it was returning was that the engine was running lean. That was 7 days ago. He would eventually see what was causing it, but I havnt taken the car back to him yet. Yesterday I started noticing the smell of gas inside and outside of the car, but I cant tell where its coming from. When the pump was replace, I was running e85, but I changed to premium just to see if that would cause the light to go off. I started to smell gas, then I put E85 in the tank, and I started to smell that stuff inside and outside the car. Last night my console posted a red light. It said Gas cap is open. My reserve fuel light started flashing yellow. I checked my gas cap and it was fine.

Can anyone tell me what might be happening so when I take my car back too him, I can atleast give him a head start on what could be wrong?

Thanks,

DJ
Old 02-27-2013, 10:48 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2005 c230 kompressor 2003 s500 94 wrangler
well if the gas cap is fine then its telling u the system isnt air tight (leak)

the fuel pump is very easy to replace. but i bet u he installed something wrong.

so r u losing fuel?
Old 02-27-2013, 10:55 AM

C230 Sport Sedan 7-speed
I dont think im losing fuel. I just smell gas in and around the car. I have to let the windows down when im driving cause the smell seems in side the car as well as out side. it only started smelling yesterday morning, but the check engine light as been on since the pump was replaced.
Old 02-27-2013, 12:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
I would have had the fuel filter replaced as well.

There is a large gasket above the fuel pump. Perhaps it got torn, or is not in place properly?

Lift up your rear seat and have a sniff around.

Ed
Old 02-27-2013, 12:44 PM

C230 Sport Sedan 7-speed
Originally Posted by SeaCoupe
I would have had the fuel filter replaced as well.

There is a large gasket above the fuel pump. Perhaps it got torn, or is not in place properly?

Lift up your rear seat and have a sniff around.

Ed
would that also cause a check engine light to come on? the code says running lean
Old 02-27-2013, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2002 C230K, 2013 BMW 328, 2015 BMW X5
Originally Posted by mistachy
would that also cause a check engine light to come on? the code says running lean
A clogged fuel filter could cause a lean running condition. Could have also caused your fuel pump to go from excess pressure.

Replacement is about $75 for the part and maybe an hour of labor.

Ed
Old 02-27-2013, 06:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
I think the guy has fouled up the new pump/sensor install. Pipe in the wrong place or not on properly or squashed.

Your car should have the new sensor/pump sealing arrangement with a large clamp that needs proper installation or you will smell fuel.

You need to read stored codes that are causing the CEL. I'll bet it's a EECS code (Evapourative Emissions Control System) caused by a bad pump installation.

Your car might have the filter built into the pump/sensor unit. You will have to check if it has the old external filter or the new in-tank filter.