C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Broke my Idler Pulley Bolt need help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 03:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w210 e320 w203 c240
Broke my Idler Pulley Bolt need help

Changed my idler pulley and I over tightened my bolt and snapped..

Anyone has a WIS diagram?
The bolt is around 8" inches long and goes all the way back through the water pump and beyond . I already ordered the bolt and pump gasket and bought "easy out" .

What are the parts that i need to remove so I can access the remaining bolt in the engine block?

Need to fix my car asap!

TIA
Old 03-03-2013, 02:47 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
I did something similar with the lower tensioner pulley bolt. With mine it broke right at the timming case cover and no removal tool would work. I had to endup drilling the bolt out and using a helicoil to fix it.
Sounds to me like you already have a game plane I would check into the timing case cover and see if that is where the waterpump bolts onto or if it goes straigh to the block I cant rember. If it goes onto the timing case cover that is not to bad.
How much of the bolt is exposed or is it completly inside?
Old 03-03-2013, 03:56 PM

w210 e320 w203 c240
Originally Posted by samaritrey
I did something similar with the lower tensioner pulley bolt. With mine it broke right at the timming case cover and no removal tool would work. I had to endup drilling the bolt out and using a helicoil to fix it.
Sounds to me like you already have a game plane I would check into the timing case cover and see if that is where the waterpump bolts onto or if it goes straigh to the block I cant rember. If it goes onto the timing case cover that is not to bad.
How much of the bolt is exposed or is it completly inside?

the bolt snapped completely inside all the way to the thread .I haven't started to remove anything yet just to be sure i wont mess up and hopefully someone will share the WIS diagram the bolt goes all the way to the block .I just ordered the water pump gasket and the replacement bolt
Old 03-06-2013, 01:37 AM

w210 e320 w203 c240
Finally got my replacement bolt today. I have to remove everything in front of the engine (alternator,a/c compressor,waterpump,airpump,steering pump,harmonic balancer/pulley ,tensioner ....also the oil pan and valve covers..so I can remove the timing cover,timing chains and tensioner...so finally I can see the broken bolt and hopefully there's some more left to grab on .. if not need to drill and easy out .... Good Luck to Me
Old 03-06-2013, 04:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
Drill a hole in the center of the broken bolt that is half the diameter of the thread diameter. Soak the area with penetrating oil or WD-40. Insert thread remover tool and turn counter-clockwise to remove the bolt.

A word to the wise....replace the water pump and thermostat while it is apart. Rust will attack the pump bearing and thermostat sliding surfaces overnight. You might be doing this again shortly if you don't.

Best of luck. And buy a torque wrench.....