C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

help with rim sizes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-18-2003, 04:19 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
help with rim sizes

I just purchased a 2004 MB C230k sedan and I was hoping if you guys could give me some advice on rim sizes. I'm not sure if I should go with 18" or 19" rims. This may be a stupid question but what does the 8.5 or 9.5 mean? Is that the width of the rim? If so what size would fit on my car without rubbing? Lastly.. I don't plan on lowering the car so will this look funny? Does anybody have pics of their cars and 19" rims without it being lowered?
Thanks in advance
Old 08-18-2003, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yes, 8.5 and 9.5 are the width of the rim. If you want to play safe, the proper tire sizes should be 225/255. However, it is possible to put 235/265 for certain brand of tires. It is because some tires are designed with a "rounded" sidewall and some are more "squared".

Trust me, you WILL HAVE to lower your car if you're getting bigger wheels. It will look VERY ugly if you dont. Check on the pic thread for some pictures of 18s" and 19s". I dont think you will find a non-lowered 19s".

What wheels are you considering to get?
Old 08-18-2003, 04:34 PM
Almost a Member!

moven Brabus VI replica's. I was hoping that I could get 19" wheels so that I don't have to lower my car. So you think that there will be a huge gap if I don't lower? The reason why I don't want to lower my car is because of the harsh bumpy ride. I had a civic that I slammed a few years ago and hated the ride after a while. I don't want that to happen to this car. It's part of the reason why I got a mercedes.. Anyways, if you have any suggestions or recommendations pls post because I'm new to all this Mercedes stuff. I just found out how expensive some of these mods are compared to honda stuff lol..

thanks.
Old 08-18-2003, 04:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You are not going to get a smooth ride on 19" wheels anyway, so lowering it wont be make it "that" much worse. Yes, the gap between the fender and the tire will be huge and because the tires are much thinner, the car will look like it has no tires.

You can get springs that will lower your car just enough to eliminate the gap, and yet, will give a comfortable ride such as Brabus, Renntech or Kleemann. They all lower your car about 1".

You are in a different class now, be prepared that the parts have a different price range!!
Old 08-18-2003, 05:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
I use to have a slammed GST Spyder on sport shocks and springs and I SWORE I would never drop a car again because of ride quality, but I did. Mercedes/Audi's/Bimmers are different. Its like they BEG to be dropped Ride quality isnt as different as stock if you buy the appropriate springs. If you been into modding b4 you HAVE to get 19's as you WILL regret not getting them down the line, trust me I've made that expensive mistake.
Old 08-18-2003, 05:44 PM
Almost a Member!

ya, I gotta admit european cars look tight slammed. I just hope I don't get that harsh feeling again. I'll end up selling the car if that happens. So what width should I be looking at for 18" or 19"?
Should I be concerned with offset? I'm going to do a search on springs & shocks on the forum.. But do you guys have any recommendations? I'd like to preserve the ride of the car as much as possible. I'm going to do a search on suspension. Gawd, I can tell this is going to get expensive hehe.. I haven't even owned the car for a month and I'm talking about slammin it :P
Old 08-29-2003, 03:01 AM

2002 C240
not true

i have a c240 and just got 19's on it. the ride isnt bad. you just feel the road more. the tires i got (nitto 555) grip the road a lot. i can only tell the difference when im going at slower speeds because i can hear the tires on the road but the ride is not uncomfortable.