C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe
Old 06-29-2015, 03:55 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

C240 Replacing old Headlight with LED headlight

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 01:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C240
Question C240 Replacing old Headlight with LED headlight

My dad bought me a mercedes c240 and i feel like changing the old headlight into LED

The mechanical people told me that it cost around $637++ for 1 pair..(something about crystal clear)
But then i saw ebay mostly thy are selling for $300++ for 1 pair of LED headlight

Is there any difference?

And can i know what difference between OEM and taiwan manufacture LeD headlight?
Im a newbie here thx for any given explanation and suggestion
Old 03-18-2013, 05:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
06 C230 SS 6spd
You really should do HID head lights, and if you do I recommend upgrading to projector head lights to get the most out of the HIDs.
Old 03-18-2013, 07:03 AM

13 Jeep JKU Sahara w/4" lift Kit & the works,2015 Toyota Sienna XLE,2013 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid
this is the best bang for your buck......

http://www.ebay.com/itm/USA-DEPO-01-07-MERCEDES-W203-4D-SEDAN-D2S-Bi-XENON-HID-AMG-PROJECTOR-HEADLIGHT-/121077529924?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c30c87d44&vxp=mtr
or you can go OEM whihc can run you anywhere from $850 for a pair to $2500 sky is the limit this is one of the most sought after OEM mod people are looking to get their hands on....including myself....

so goodluck...

javvy
Old 03-20-2013, 01:24 PM
TTR

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
R129 SL500 & W140 S500
Originally Posted by Javvy

USA Depo 01 07 Mercedes W203 4D Sedan D2S Bi Xenon HID AMG Projector Headlight | eBay

or you can go OEM whihc can run you anywhere from $850 for a pair to $2500 sky is the limit this is one of the most sought after OEM mod people are looking to get their hands on....including myself....

so goodluck...

javvy

Well a lot of people that bought that set from eBay I've heard they had to bake the unit cuz as it comes there's a good chance the unit will have some condensation in it. Just a heads up though. I personally don't have these.
Old 03-20-2013, 02:02 PM

2004 C240 4matic, 2009 C300 4Matic
i have them, not an issue with them for a full year....
Old 03-24-2013, 04:53 AM

C240
Electronic Control Gear

Originally Posted by Javvy

USA Depo 01 07 Mercedes W203 4D Sedan D2S Bi Xenon HID AMG Projector Headlight | eBay

so goodluck...

javvy

ermm.. i have 2 more question..

C240 Replacing old Headlight with LED headlight-hl_b3_e46_dp_a_wiring_l.jpg

1) does it come with the electronic board? i mean the Electronic Control Gear for Xenon headlight? Is this the converter for normal headlight to Xenon type headlight?

2) and does it really fit C240?

from what i had research, some of the tuned car owner say that after they change the LED Headlight, the dash board will appear an error/malfunction that it can't detect the headlight. Will i have this problem after i changed the light?
Old 03-24-2013, 06:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
There is no significant production of LED's that can replace automotive headlights. They will be coming soon.

For your C240 Halogen lamps are standard and Bixenon HID lamps are optional. From 2005 on the housings were improved and reflectors redesigned to eliminate the "frosty" fresnel lens.

There is no HID "kit" that can be sucessfully used in halogen housings. The reflector is not suitable for the HID capsule and you will never have a correct beam pattern. They all use counterfeit lamps with very high failure rates. They are junk. Don't buy any of these kits.

Depo makes HID housings, but they are copied from OEM lamps. This results in molding that are about 1% larger than OEM and cause no end if fitment problems for people who buy these. The high voltage power supply for these are not made with the precision needed for long life under the hood. A good use for these copy products is if your OEM unit is broken and you are selling the car.

Genuine HID housings can be purchased in junk yards and Ebay, and they almost always come with the power supply (sometimes called "ballast") because it is attached to the housing. These are made by Automotive Lighting in Europe and the quality is good.

Installing the housing is not so easy. Among other tasks you need to remove the front bumper. The HID lamps only consume 35 watts v. 55 watts for halogen bulbs. It is necessary to connect a computer to the car and change the "version coding" to read "xenon present." The dealers and many shops now have the multiplexer and software to do this.

Lets assume you have a set of clean OEM housings and manage to install them without breaking any of the plastic tabs. The version coding is done, and the lamps shine flawlessly. You are missing to important parts of the system. You need to replace the front bumper for one with the headlight washer nozzles. Of course you need the control switch and the pump and heater too. Next you need to install sensors to the front and rear axles to command the automatic leveling system. Figure on ripping out the interior to run the wiring harness to the rear, and calibration with Star Diagnose. These are needed to prevent dazzling oncoming drivers.

The prices of C class w and S203 have fallen to the point that there is no longer much of a premium for HID lights. You would be well served to sell your car and buy one with HID from the factory.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:58 PM

2005 C230 Sport Sedan
I was planning on purchasing OEM Bix to replace my halogens but after reading this thread I feel really discouraged!